The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters.

January 2015 TCM Schedule

Discussion of programming on TCM.

Moderators: Sue Sue Applegate, movieman1957, moira finnie, Lzcutter

kingrat

January 2015 TCM Schedule

Postby kingrat » January 5th, 2015, 5:14 pm

Robert Redford is Star of the Month--I'm looking forward to This Property Is Condemned, which I've never seen--and the Friday Night Spotlight salutes Neil Simon.

For me, the two most exciting events are 1) the showing Wednesday night (Jan. 7) of Hakuchi, which is Akira Kurosawa's version of Dostoevsky's The Idiot. Not well-known, not in the big Kurosawa box which contains most of his famous films, and cut by the producers; and 2) The Angry Silence, from a Jan. 28 tribute to the late Sir Richard Attenborough. This also turns out to be a Bryan Forbes tribute as well, because he directed Seance on a Wet Afternoon, wrote the scripts for The Angry Silence and The League of Gentlemen, and acted in the latter film as well.

Seeing Horse Feathers on Jan. 1 was a great way to welcome the new year, and it was witty of TCM to program, for a day given to college football, the movie which shows us the behind-the-scenes story of how college football actually works.

Jan. 11 - The double feature of Knife in the Water and Purple Noon is inspired. Two masterful suspense films, both with key scenes on boats.

Jan. 12 - Luise Rainer tribute.

Jan. 18 - Japanese noir double feature of Koreyoshi Kurahara's The Warped Ones and I Am Waiting. Can't decide if these sound appealing or not.

Jan. 26 - The day schedule is films set in Paris, including the great Earrings of Madame de . . ., and an early Louis Malle film I've never seen, Zazie dans le Metro. The evening features five Luis Bunuel films.

ziggy6708a

Re: January 2015 TCM Schedule

Postby ziggy6708a » January 6th, 2015, 6:16 pm

Also very much enjoyed "The French GWTW" (according to BM) Children of Paradise ('45)
Wonderful film.
So just what was the thief's 'Pierre François Lacenaire' (Marcel Herrand) motivation at the end??
Anyone know? :?:

Rita Hayworth

Postby Rita Hayworth » January 7th, 2015, 7:19 pm

Fritz Lang's Metropolis

phpBB [video]

Metropolis (1926)
In this silent film, a city of the future is threatened with destruction when a wealthy corporate leader enlists a mad scientist to put down labor reformers. Dir: Fritz Lang Cast: Brigitte Helm , Alfred Abel , Rudolf Klein-Rogge .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:
D: Fritz Lang. Brigitte Helm, Alfred Abel, Gustav Froelich, Rudolf Klein-Rogge, Fritz Rasp. Classic silent-film fantasy of futuristic city and its mechanized society, with upper-class young man abandoning his life of luxury to join oppressed workers in a revolt. Heavy going at times, but startling set design and special effects command attention throughout. Many shorter prints exist; reissued in 1984 at 87m. with color tints and score by Giorgio Moroder. Definitive German restoration debuted in 2002.

It will be on Saturday (January 10th) Night at 8pm Eastern and 5pm Pacific and I've not seen this movie in 20 years and looking forward seeing it for the 2nd or 3rd time in my life. This classic should not be missed.

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Postby Sue Sue Applegate » January 13th, 2015, 3:46 am

Sally Field chosen as the new Essentials Co-Host: http://www.examiner.com/article/sally-f ... ls-co-host
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2018
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor

kingrat

Postby kingrat » January 13th, 2015, 12:22 pm

Thanks for the post. Certainly her picks as a Guest Programmer, mentioned in the story, were excellent. The statement about her gay son is beautifully written.

It will be interesting to see what she picks and how she works with Robert in the coming months.

CineMaven

Postby CineMaven » January 19th, 2015, 4:16 pm

I've taken the plunge and created my own classic film blog. If you have any time, I hope you can check it out. Thanx!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com

kingrat

Postby kingrat » January 20th, 2015, 1:21 pm

This is great news, Maven. By the end of the year I plan to do the same. You and Christy are setting great examples for the rest of us.

Rita Hayworth

Postby Rita Hayworth » January 21st, 2015, 2:43 am

Spirit of St. Louis, The (1957)

Charles Lindbergh risks his life to complete his historic flight from New York to Paris.
Dir: Billy Wilder Cast: James Stewart , Murray Hamilton , Patricia Smith .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:
D: Billy Wilder. James Stewart, Patricia Smith, Murray Hamilton, Marc Connelly. Long but inventive presentation of Lindbergh's flight across the Atlantic is mainly a tour de force by Stewart, backed by good Franz Waxman music score. CinemaScope.
REVIEW: 3 Stars

On at 5:30 PM - Eastern Standard Time, after PATTON, Starring George C. Scott.

norfious

Postby norfious » January 22nd, 2015, 4:33 pm

I missed the very beginning, but I just watched most of "Today We Live". Despite its plot flaws and the fact that Joan Crawford had a starring role, I actually really liked it. I really enjoy and am fascinated by films that show a deep friendship between men, especially men in high-pressure situations such as war. This movie, along with a lot of Hawks' works, had that element. I especially liked how Tone's, Crawford's and Young's characters had a long history of friendship and quaint puppy love.

Overall, it was fun, but I'll admit it did leave me wanting to know more about some of the characters. Maybe I just missed some things at the beginning!

Return to “Movies and Features on TCM”