Lorna wrote: April 29th, 2024, 1:39 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: April 29th, 2024, 1:17 pm

The Five Nominees for Costume Design in 1982 were:

Gandhi***
La Traviata
Sophie's Choice
Tron
Victor/Victoria

Now, I think we can easily say that Gandhi won because it was in a big Oscar sweep, because most of the costumes in that film aren't the most memorable.

Evil Under the Sun did come close to a nomination in a soon to be discontinued category called Song Score (it was shortlisted), but was locked out by the trio of Victor/Victoria (which won), Annie, and One from the Heart.

Peter Ustinov did actually play Poirot on the big screen one more time..... But it is best to forget that one. It was Appointment with Death in 1988, which might have started with a script written by Anthony Shaffer, who wrote both Nile and Evil, but it was mostly re-written by others, and the resultant script wasn't good, coupled with a very bad musical score, and an underutilized cast. For a big Christie fan like me, it was a major disappointment.

For the record, in that film, Poirot was trying to find out who killed off a much hated matriarch (Piper Laurie) with a hypodermic. The suspects included Jenny Seagrove, Carrie Fisher, David Soul, Lauren Bacall, Hayley Mills, and John Gielgud.
I dunno, does MERYL STREEP rock a WONDERBREAD-INSPIRED SWIMSUIT in SOPHIE'S CHOICE? Are there MARVELOUS ENORMOUS HATS??? I have not seen it, but I feel like the answer is "no." Honestly, I LOVE VICTOR/VICTORIA, but I think EVIL UNDER THE SUN has better costumes. We're simpatico on GANDHI though....ALTHOUGH IF BEN KINGSLEY WALKED DOWN A STAIRCASE IN AN ENSEMBLE LIKE JANE BIRKIN'S AT THE END OF "EVIL" THE BRITISH WOULD HAVE PULLED OUT IMMEDIATELY.

Thank you for letting me know that about the score almost getting nommed, it really deserved it, more I'd venture to say than ANNIE.

i WILL say that the costumes in ANNIE should have been nominated over GANDHI and SOPHIE'S CHOICE and I dunno maybe TRON too.

Yes, yes, APPOINTMENT WITH DEATH...I remember coming across is on HBO in the late 80s and being excited and...eesh.

I do remember thinking PIPER LAURIE was SUPERB THOUGH.
I never saw the movie version (didn't get much of a release) I did see the Mystery version on PBS's Poirot,which has been rerun to death. (I dont think there have been new episodes on Mystery in well over a decade). One reason among many I never pledge!!! Not one of Christie's best. (Death)
CinemaInternational

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by CinemaInternational »

Hibi wrote: April 29th, 2024, 2:30 pm

Gandhi***
La Traviata
Sophie's Choice
Tron
Victor/Victoria

Now, I think we can easily say that Gandhi won because it was in a big Oscar sweep, because most of the costumes in that film aren't the most memorable.

Evil Under the Sun did come close to a nomination in a soon to be discontinued category called Song Score (it was shortlisted), but was locked out by the trio of Victor/Victoria (which won), Annie, and One from the Heart.

Peter Ustinov did actually play Poirot on the big screen one more time..... But it is best to forget that one. It was Appointment with Death in 1988, which might have started with a script written by Anthony Shaffer, who wrote both Nile and Evil, but it was mostly re-written by others, and the resultant script wasn't good, coupled with a very bad musical score, and an underutilized cast. For a big Christie fan like me, it was a major disappointment.

For the record, in that film, Poirot was trying to find out who killed off a much hated matriarch (Piper Laurie) with a hypodermic. The suspects included Jenny Seagrove, Carrie Fisher, David Soul, Lauren Bacall, Hayley Mills, and John Gielgud.
I dunno, does MERYL STREEP rock a WONDERBREAD-INSPIRED SWIMSUIT in SOPHIE'S CHOICE? Are there MARVELOUS ENORMOUS HATS??? I have not seen it, but I feel like the answer is "no." Honestly, I LOVE VICTOR/VICTORIA, but I think EVIL UNDER THE SUN has better costumes. We're simpatico on GANDHI though....ALTHOUGH IF BEN KINGSLEY WALKED DOWN A STAIRCASE IN AN ENSEMBLE LIKE JANE BIRKIN'S AT THE END OF "EVIL" THE BRITISH WOULD HAVE PULLED OUT IMMEDIATELY.

Thank you for letting me know that about the score almost getting nommed, it really deserved it, more I'd venture to say than ANNIE.

i WILL say that the costumes in ANNIE should have been nominated over GANDHI and SOPHIE'S CHOICE and I dunno maybe TRON too.

Yes, yes, APPOINTMENT WITH DEATH...I remember coming across is on HBO in the late 80s and being excited and...eesh.

I never saw the movie version (didn't get much of a release) I did see the Mystery version on PBS's Poirot,which has been rerun to death. (I dont think there have been new episodes on Mystery in well over a decade). One reason among many I never pledge!!! Not one of Christie's best. (Death)
Yes, the Poirot series ended its run in the US in 2014, several months after it reached its terminus in England, having made episodes of each and every one of Agatha's poirot novels and short stories.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

They've started showing Miss Marple ones before Poirot now. I've seen many of those (with McEwen and Julia MacKenzie at least), but it's been awhile so I don't remember them well). I've never seen the original (her name escapes me) which is considered the best one. So unlike Margaret Rutherford's lowbrow version.
CinemaInternational

Hibi wrote: April 29th, 2024, 2:26 pm

Gandhi***
La Traviata
Sophie's Choice
Tron
Victor/Victoria

Who could forget Ghandi??? Love those loincloths! Undeserved win, even nomination!
Gandhi really didn't have the most memorable costumes, but likely was nominated and won because of the big Oscar sweep it was on.

As I said above, I think La Traviata, Victor/Victoria, and Sophie's Choise were valid nominations. And in addition to Evil Under the Sun, the following could have made a play for a nomination: Hammett, A Midsummer night's Sex Comedy, Five Days One Summer, Frances, Annie, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, Cannery Row. Plaid was Edith Head's final film.
CinemaInternational

Hibi wrote: April 29th, 2024, 2:37 pm They've started showing Miss Marple ones before Poirot now. I've seen many of those (with McEwen and Julia MacKenzie at least), but it's been awhile so I don't remember them well). I've never seen the original (her name escapes me) which is considered the best one. So unlike Margaret Rutherford's lowbrow version.
Joan Hickson was the first BBC Marple in the 1980s. ironically, she had had a small part as a screaming maid in Rutherford's first Marple offering, Murder She Said, in 1961. Lowbrow or not, I loved Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple.

Angela Lansbury played Miss Marple in 1980 in The Mirror Crack'd, but that ironically was the Christie story where Marple had to have her nephew (played by Edward Fox) do the interrogating because she was laid up with a broken ankle. So, more time in that film was spent with the nephew and the suspects than with Miss Marple. Of course though, everything else in that film was secondary compared to the catfight scene for the ages between the two 50s divas.

Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: April 29th, 2024, 2:26 pm Who could forget Gandhi??? Love those loincloths! Undeserved win, even nomination!

One of the very few times where you, me and REX REED all agree.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 29th, 2024, 2:46 pm
Hibi wrote: April 29th, 2024, 2:37 pm They've started showing Miss Marple ones before Poirot now. I've seen many of those (with McEwen and Julia MacKenzie at least), but it's been awhile so I don't remember them well). I've never seen the original (her name escapes me) which is considered the best one. So unlike Margaret Rutherford's lowbrow version.
Joan Hickson was the first BBC Marple in the 1980s.
Lowbrow or not, I loved Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple.

ME TOO!!!!!
She's exactly how I pictured the character when I read the books, also the MISS MARPLE THEME SONG from the RUTHERFORD FILMS absolutely BOPS.

I know a lot of people say she was the best, but JOAN HICKSON always seems to me like she's just SLAMMED an ENTIRE BOTTLE of COUGH SYRUP right before they yelled "ACTION!" She is suspiciously sedate. it's hard to stay awake listening to her and don't get me started on her CHRISTIE AUDIOBOOKS.

Like quualudes they are

EDIT: She at times brings to mind SLOWPOKE RODRIGUEZ in her vocal pacing
Last edited by Lorna on April 29th, 2024, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CinemaInternational

Lorna wrote: April 29th, 2024, 3:07 pm
Hibi wrote: April 29th, 2024, 2:26 pm Who could forget Gandhi??? Love those loincloths! Undeserved win, even nomination!

You know, I actually was tempted in writing all this up to mention that Rex Reed famously complained about the Costume win by Gandhi, but I didn't.

I have to confess I laughed a lot at the spoof of Gandhi in the 1989 "Weird" Al Yankovic film UHF, imagining a sequel to Gandhi where Gandhi came back as a meat-eating bazooka-toting Stallone-like action hero. It's not in good taste. But I laughed a lot in spite of myself:

[media][
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

I liked the GERALDINE McEWAN MARPLE series, even though there were a couple where they shoehorned her into stories where she didn't beliong (like ORDEAL BY INNOCENCE.) The version they did of THE MOVING FINGER was OUTSTANDING.

I didn't like JULIA MACKENZIE though.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 29th, 2024, 3:07 pm

LOL!!!! How often does THAT happen??? :D
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 29th, 2024, 3:18 pm I liked the GERALDINE McEWAN MARPLE series, even though there were a couple where they shoehorned her into stories where she didn't beliong (like ORDEAL BY INNOCENCE.) The version they did of THE MOVING FINGER was OUTSTANDING.

I didn't like JULIA MACKENZIE though.
Yeah, they showed one of them Sat. night. She was barely in the damn thing. I couldn't stand the actor who took over the episode. He was in nearly EVERY scene! The one where someone was sending poison pen letters. I couldn't wait for it to be over! Yes, I liked McEwan. Mackenzie seemed a little "rough" in the role but I did enjoy the episodes. I think the original was Joan Hixon? They never rerun those for some reason.
CinemaInternational

One other note about Evil Under the Sun. Sylvia Miles later said that filming it was the most fun she ever had in her life.
CinemaInternational

Gandhi***
La Traviata
Sophie's Choice
Tron
Victor/Victoria

I'll also guess that Evil Under the Sun was likely close to a costume nomination due, because the guild categories are prone to nominating someone again if they nominated him or her in the past, and Evil Under the Sun's costumes were designed by the late Anthony powell, who only did costumes for 22 theatrical films, but was up for the Oscar 6 times, winning 3 times for Travels with My Aunt, Death on the Nile, and Tess.

His other three nods were all for films with bad reputations so his nods for them just go to show how much his fellow designers loved him: Pirates, Hook, and 102 Dalmatians.

And his cousin (either a first or second cousin) is a designer named Sandy Powell, who herself has won 3 Oscars for Costumes herself (Shakespeare in Love, The Aviator, and the Young Victoria) with a raft of other nominations (Orlando, The Wings of the Dove, Velvet Goldmine, Gangs of New York, Mrs. Henderson Presents, The Tempest, Hugo, Cinderella, Carol, Mary Poppins Returns, The Favourite, The Irishman)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 29th, 2024, 2:41 pm
Hibi wrote: April 29th, 2024, 2:26 pm

Who could forget Ghandi??? Love those loincloths! Undeserved win, even nomination!
Gandhi really didn't have the most memorable costumes, but likely was nominated and won because of the big Oscar sweep it was on.

As I said above, I think La Traviata, Victor/Victoria, and Sophie's Choise were valid nominations. And in addition to Evil Under the Sun, the following could have made a play for a nomination: Hammett, A Midsummer night's Sex Comedy, Five Days One Summer, Frances, Annie, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, Cannery Row. Plaid was Edith Head's final film.
YEP! A good example of an Oscar sweep mentality and lazy Academy voting where it wins in categories it didn't deserve to win.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 29th, 2024, 4:01 pm

Gandhi***
La Traviata
Sophie's Choice
Tron
Victor/Victoria

I'll also guess that Evil Under the Sun was likely close to a costume nomination due, because the guild categories are prone to nominating someone again if they nominated him or her in the past, and Evil Under the Sun's costumes were designed by the late Anthony powell, who only did costumes for 22 theatrical films, but was up for the Oscar 6 times, winning 3 times for Travels with My Aunt, Death on the Nile, and Tess.

His other three nods were all for films with bad reputations so his nods for them just go to show how much his fellow designers loved him: Pirates, Hook, and 102 Dalmatians.

And his cousin (either a first or second cousin) is a designer named Sandy Powell, who herself has won 3 Oscars for Costumes herself (Shakespeare in Love, The Aviator, and the Young Victoria) with a raft of other nominations (Orlando, The Wings of the Dove, Velvet Goldmine, Gangs of New York, Mrs. Henderson Presents, The Tempest, Hugo, Cinderella, Carol, Mary Poppins Returns, The Favourite, The Irishman)
Sun only did middling box office so it's possible not enough people in that category saw it.