I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
HoldenIsHere

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by HoldenIsHere »

CinemaInternational wrote: May 6th, 2024, 1:39 pm

Yes, Karen Black is terrifying at the end of Burnt Offerings. The whole end of that film is truly messed up.

"I've been waiting for you, Ben."
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

MAN ON FIRE (1957)

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Fedya wrote: May 6th, 2024, 6:41 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 5th, 2024, 8:06 pm I am still recovering from PORTNOY'S COMPLAINT.

Oy vey.

Not the best choice.....
Thus endeth BRONXGIRL'S COMPLAINT.

lol -- Oh I have a lot of complaints about this film (Mike Nichols could have made it work) but have decided to hold my tongue....
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

kingrat wrote: May 6th, 2024, 10:42 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 5th, 2024, 8:59 pm I never get tired of A FACE IN THE CROWD (which is a good thing since they air it so much, lol) so decided to dive in again.

Now, some of you might know that my recent great will power (not when it comes to Lay's Dill Pickle potato chips) concerning maintaining a calm attitude towards a certain main host's intros and outros was, shall I say, sorely tested the other night while this individual was chatting with their guest programmer about the prescient nature of the movie. Mr. Main went political, naming three people on a certain side of the aisle, including the current presumptive presidential nominee.

I admittedly fumed for about five minutes, then took deep breaths and went into zen mode. Slowly but surely, all was well again!
I missed this, but saw the outro to Ace in the Hole, where Spike Lee made some intelligent comments about how much he loved the last shot of the film, with Kirk Douglas crashing to the floor right in front of the camera, and how he liked to show this film to his students. I couldn't decide if Lee was a bit stoned, or if this was just part of his manner.

If FACE and ACE (hey that rhymes!) are on Watch TCM, you can hear the intro. Our Mr. Main (and I don't mean Norman) made very inappropriate political comments that shocked me. This is supposed to be a movie channel, not a college film course! (breathe, Bronxie, breathe....) Lee was more restrained, thank heavens.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Allhallowsday wrote: May 6th, 2024, 8:48 pm MAN ON FIRE (1957)

Bing's toupee looks good, which is the only positive thing I can say about this family drama which for me is a slog.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Just think how interesting that courtroom scene in THE CHEAT would have been on Perry Mason.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Ladies and gentlemen, submitted for your bad movie approval -- ONE IS A LONELY NUMBER. Kindly ignore imdb comments along the lines of "this is groundbreaking in terms of feminist cinema". Well, you know what I say to that? Horse manure!!

1972, Trish Van Devere is left high and dry by English professor hubby who takes it on the lam with a 19 year old blonde. Trish's character is a ripe 27. She seeks solace from a withered-looking Janet Leigh, a cheerfully cynical survivor of divorce who offers some eloquent advice: "When your old man leaves, you gotta get laid!" Janet also exclaims "men are sh*t!" You go, girl. Melvyn Douglas (my uncle Louie from Queens lookalike) as an elderly fruit-and-vegetable shop owner offers his own brand of comfort to Trish: "There's a performance of King Lear in the park. There's nothing better for an evening". Sure. Meanwhile, Trish has to find work so she high-tails it to an employment agency where the sleazy male counselor tries to make his moves and later corners the poor girl in the locker room. She then meets a seemingly normal Monte Markham (remember him?) at an outdoor art event (this story takes place in hippie-ish San Francisco, and believe me, I was there at that time) and the two hit it off. So far, so good. Or so it seems. Poor Trish can't catch a break. Without a man in the house she can't fix the plumbing and is spooked by strange noises in the night.

Trish's job as a lifeguard at the neighborhood city pool is emotionally if not monetarily rewarding, so is open to her lawyer's suggestion about taking the hubby for all he's worth. Will she emerge an independent woman? We wait with bated breath for the totally expected ending, complete with freeze frame.
Last edited by Bronxgirl48 on May 7th, 2024, 12:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: May 6th, 2024, 8:54 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 5th, 2024, 8:06 pm I am still recovering from PORTNOY'S COMPLAINT.

Oy vey.

Not the best choice.....
LOL. I warned you!
"

You sure did but I couldn't tear myself away from the horror, particularly Lee demanding Richard Benjamin show her his poop. "You've been eating at that frankfurter place after school!!"
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: May 6th, 2024, 8:56 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 5th, 2024, 8:49 pm Or --- TRILOGY OF TERROR!

Actually it was Lee Grant as Alex's mother who was the real scary one.

I barely recognized Jill Clayburgh as the Israeli girl.
A lot of her scenes were cut. (the growing up part).

Lee's? If the ones they left in were any indication I frankly can't even imagine those they cut! Good Lord....
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

CI, glad you cleared up that whole "walking V.D." thing -- I thought it referred to Warren William which didn't make sense to me, lol. I mean, there are a lot of other actors, both classic and modern, that it could describe. Not that I would mention any.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 7th, 2024, 12:24 am
Hibi wrote: May 6th, 2024, 8:56 am

Actually it was Lee Grant as Alex's mother who was the real scary one.

I barely recognized Jill Clayburgh as the Israeli girl.
A lot of her scenes were cut. (the growing up part).

Lee's? If the ones they left in were any indication I frankly can't even imagine those they cut! Good Lord....
Yes, Lee's. Probably for the best.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 6th, 2024, 11:38 pm ...

Bing's toupee looks good, which is the only positive thing I can say about this family drama which for me is a slog.
BING could act. He might be lucky enough for INGER STEVENS to show anything other than contempt (she was 23... he was 54... playing 42!)
The kid was too big to be 10 (he was actually 13) plus he could NOT act. The script was hambone.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 7th, 2024, 12:02 am Ladies and gentlemen, submitted for your bad movie approval -- ONE IS A LONELY NUMBER. Kindly ignore imdb comments along the lines of "this is groundbreaking in terms of feminist cinema". Well, you know what I say to that? Horse manure!!

1972, Trish Van Devere is left high and dry by English professor hubby who takes it on the lam with a 19 year old blonde. Trish's character is a ripe 27. She seeks solace from a withered-looking Janet Leigh, a cheerfully cynical survivor of divorce who offers some eloquent advice: "When your old man leaves, you gotta get laid!" Janet also exclaims "men are sh*t!" You go, girl. Melvyn Douglas (my uncle Louie from Queens lookalike) as an elderly fruit-and-vegetable shop owner offers his own brand of comfort to Trish: "There's a performance of King Lear in the park. There's nothing better for an evening". Sure. Meanwhile, Trish has to find work so she high-tails it to an employment agency where the sleazy male counselor tries to make his moves and later corners the poor girl in the locker room. She then meets a seemingly normal Monte Markham (remember him?) at an outdoor art event (this story takes place in hippie-ish San Francisco, and believe me, I was there at that time) and the two hit it off. So far, so good. Or so it seems. Poor Trish can't catch a break. Without a man in the house she can't fix the plumbing and is spooked by strange noises in the night.

Trish's job as a lifeguard at the neighborhood city pool is emotionally if not monetarily rewarding, so is open to her lawyer's suggestion about taking the hubby for all he's worth. Will she emerge an independent woman? We wait with bated breath for the totally expected ending, complete with freeze frame.
Trish didn't go far once her relationship with George C. Scott ended. I saw this years ago on TCM but don't remember much about it. (Dull, that I remember!) It slipped in and out of theaters at the time in a few weeks.

Janet Leigh's career went quickly downhill in the 60s.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

When we were watching AIRPORT 75, the sweetie said it would have been funny if the one who came to rescue Karen Black in the cockpit was the Zuni doll from TRILOGY OF TERROR.

ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

''I missed this, but saw the outro to Ace in the Hole, where Spike Lee made some intelligent comments about how much he loved the last shot of the film, with Kirk Douglas crashing to the floor right in front of the camera, and how he liked to show this film to his students. I couldn't decide if Lee was a bit stoned, or if this was just part of his manner.
[/quote]

If FACE and ACE (hey that rhymes!) are on Watch TCM, you can hear the intro. Our Mr. Main (and I don't mean Norman) made very inappropriate political comments that shocked me. This is supposed to be a movie channel, not a college film course! (breathe, Bronxie, breathe....) Lee was more restrained, thank heavens.''
[/quote]
===========================================================
Tried watching "ACE.." on 'Demand' & it stopped in mid-payback...& never continued :headbang: was this a tcm screw-up or Direct-TV's????

frankly don't remember Ben's intro comments, but Spike's were kinda 'loopy' :smiley_huh: :roll:
was "mr6666" @ TCM