February 2023 Schedule Posted, Rita Moreno is SOTM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
cmovieviewer

February 2023 Schedule Posted, Rita Moreno is SOTM

Post by cmovieviewer »

(I hope this is an appropriate place to post this information. I am not sure of the conventions for this message board.)

TCM has posted a partial schedule for February, 2023.
Rita Moreno is Star of the Month (first time).

Additional details are available at my schedule information page:

http://escapepress.com/tcmsched/tcm_overview.html
Hibi

Re: February 2023 Schedule Posted, Rita Moreno is SOTM

Post by Hibi »

SIGH. Aside from West Side Story, what notable films has she been in? At least she's a first timer.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

If TCM wishes to honor a Latino woman why not Katy Jurado. Jurado was in many more high qualify films than Moreno and had a lot more interesting roles;

Bullfighter and the Lady, High Noon, Arrowhead, Broken Lance, The Racers, Trial, Trapeze, The Badlanders, One Eyed Jacks, Barabbas, Once Upon A Scandal.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Hibi wrote: December 20th, 2022, 10:21 am SIGH. Aside from West Side Story, what notable films has she been in? . . .
jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 20th, 2022, 11:49 am If TCM wishes to honor a Latino woman why not Katy Jurado. Jurado was in many more high qualify films than Moreno and had a lot more interesting roles . . .

"Besa mi culo, Boys!"
POLL: Do you want a Like button?
Last edited by EP Millstone on December 20th, 2022, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

Hibi wrote: December 20th, 2022, 10:21 am SIGH. Aside from West Side Story, what notable films has she been in? At least she's a first timer.
I agree. I like Rita Moreno, but I don't see the new schedule and go "ooh Rita Moreno, I better set my DVR." She's in "Singin in the Rain" but barely. I like "West Side Story" but I find the two leads kind of irritating in this film, despite how much I love Natalie Wood. I also can't stand Marni Nixon's dubbing. She's a good singer, don't get me wrong, but her voice does not match Natalie's affected Latina accented voice. The dubbing in this film always takes me completely out of it.

Maybe Rita will be interviewed and help introduce her films, that would make it more interesting for me at least.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 20th, 2022, 11:49 am If TCM wishes to honor a Latino woman why not Katy Jurado. Jurado was in many more high qualify films than Moreno and had a lot more interesting roles;

Bullfighter and the Lady, High Noon, Arrowhead, Broken Lance, The Racers, Trial, Trapeze, The Badlanders, One Eyed Jacks, Barabbas, Once Upon A Scandal.
Yes, that's very true.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

There seems to be a unwritten rule lately that one SOTM per year is dedicated to a minority actor/actress whether they were a star or not. (Anna May Wong, etc.-don't get me wrong, I like her but...). In Rita's case, she's still alive and there might be a night of interviews or a podcast. And of course, Mank will cover the racism angle. I really think it's time they expand the category to include supporting players/character actor/actresses. Since they seem to have run out of stars they want to honor (for the first time, though there are plenty still waiting), since some of their choices were never stars to being with (for whatever reason).
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

kingrat wrote: December 20th, 2022, 11:23 am
Hibi wrote: December 20th, 2022, 10:21 am SIGH. Aside from West Side Story, what notable films has she been in? At least she's a first timer.
The King and I, where she was typecast as a Burmese princess. Oh, yeah, maybe not.The Ritz
I wonder if they'll even run that since it's Fox? Will be interesting to see what the line up is.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Hibi wrote: December 20th, 2022, 3:00 pm I wonder if they'll even run that since it's Fox? Will be interesting to see what the line up is.
Hibi,

You can see the selection of Rita Moreno's movies in the February 2023 schedules created by cmovieviewer.

POLL: Do you want a Like button?
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

It was a really small wordless part, but she was in Singin in the Rain for a few moments. And her striptease scene in Marlowe is certainly an eye-opener.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 20th, 2022, 11:49 am If TCM wishes to honor a Latino woman why not Katy Jurado. Jurado was in many more high qualify films than Moreno and had a lot more interesting roles;

I think its in part because Moreno is still alive and working. At this point, she's one of the very few people left who has been in films for over 70 years. She is in a late in life comeback right now; she had that new version of One Day at a Time (as the grandmother) that was much beloved by its fans, she had the West Side remake, and she has a new comedy in February where she is one of four co-leads, along with Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, and Sally Field.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

CinemaInternational wrote: December 20th, 2022, 4:06 pm . . . and she has a new comedy in February where she is one of four co-leads, along with Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, and Sally Field.
. . . which I'm really NOT looking forward to, but will probably see because a friend wants to see it.

jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

CinemaInternational wrote: December 20th, 2022, 4:06 pm

I think its in part because Moreno is still alive and working. At this point, she's one of the very few people left who has been in films for over 70 years. She is in a late in life comeback right now; she had that new version of One Day at a Time (as the grandmother) that was much beloved by its fans, she had the West Side remake, and she has a new comedy in February where she is one of four co-leads, along with Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, and Sally Field.

I wonder if the new version of One Day at a Time is produced under the same parent company that owns TCM.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Feb 5th is currently missing a TCM IMPORT though it will be crime related judging by the short film it is paired with.