Affair in Trinidad (1952)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Thanks. I have a couple of pals in the UK. I will have them do a little investigating to see what they can dig up.
Ayres

Post by Ayres »

Moira, I love Brian Aherne. My favorite movie of his by far is the adorably goofy Merrily We Live--a screwball comedy in which everyone in the cast positively sparkles.

What you say about Rita Hayworth's vulnerability is so true. I think the films in which she consistently exuded the most confidence were her musicals with Astaire and Kelly--when Glenn Ford or George Macready is menacing her in Gilda, I just want one of them to come sweep her off her feet and dance away!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for the high five for Brian Aherne, Ayres.
I like that screwball comedy Merrily We Live too. He's so appealing in that one. And I'd never seen that movie until TCM trotted it out last year.

Re: Rita Hayworth
...when Glenn Ford or George Macready is menacing her in Gilda, I just want one of them to come sweep her off her feet and dance away!-Ayres
Hmmm, I dunno about relying on either of those guys to help her in that movie. I think Gilda's chances might've been better if she ran away with the restroom attendant (Steven Geray), who was simpatico from the get-go. Yeah, I know, snowball's chance in h-e-double hockey sticks of that happening. Besides, Gilda wouldn't mean it, but she'd probably kill the little guy--though he'd die with a smile on his face. Jeez, I'm bad. Sorry, I'll go see how to delete myself from this conversation, *lol*.

I think that you're right about Hayworth+Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly. With them, she's in her element, dancing, which seemed to liberate her from alot of her self-conciousness. She's particularly lovely in You Were Never Lovelier (1942) with Fred Astaire.

Btw, other interesting movies that blend Miss Hayworth's vulnerability with her sometimes shaky hauteur that occur to me are The Came to Cordura (1959) & The Story on Page One (1959). Too bad that these weren't included this month, though the first film shows up often on the Encore channels. Very good role for Gary Cooper too.

Re: Brighton Rock
SueSue & Arkadin, wouldn't it be wonderful if TCM could show this film, now that they've started to unearth so many other English movies? At least this one is available in the states on vhs. Love those early Richard Attenborough movies, such as the recent TCM gem, London Belongs to Me (1949). He seems to be a much better actor than director, though I love Shadowlands (1993).
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Over the weekend I was feeling pretty craptacular, and spent alot of time lying on my sofa as a result.

During that time, I watched both Affair in Trinidad and The Lady in Question.

I much preferred Affair in Trinidad. What a great film that was!!! I love the Glenn Ford/Rita Hayworth combination...and this was, besides Gilda, perhaps their best effort.

I thoroughly enjoyed this picture.

The Lady in Question was interesting chiefly because they were both so young and cute.

But Affair in Trinidad was just a doggone good film.