Ongoing discussion of TCM board posters

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Ongoing discussion of TCM board posters

Post by pktrekgirl »

Okay...I have noticed today a fair number of posts (and even whole threads) dedicated to the situation at the TCM board...and even one individual thread dedicated completely to a single poster (guess who) in particular. And to make matters worse, this thread basically flames this TCM poster in absentia, right in the title!

It is my feeling that this sort of thing is not illustrative of particularly constructive discussion. After all, we have moved on...and it's time to focus on the positive rather than dwelling on the negative. I mean...haven't we all done ENOUGH of that already???

So - Is there any way we could move past this and get on with things?

Because I have found that spin-off communities that remain pre-occupied with the activities of their former communities tend to be rather bitter and resentful groups that remain mired in the events of the past.

I'd hate to see that happen here.

Further, I really think the "Gone with the Windbag" thread should be locked. If we are TRULY the good citizens that we say we are, then perhaps it might be illustrative of this mindset to keep flaming off of this board....even if it's directed toward an unpopular individual.

It should NOT be okay to flame someone, just because they are unpopular - even as universally unpopular as that particular individual is.

Thanks.
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

I couldn't agree more, pk.
"How strange when an illusion dies. It's as though you've lost a child." --Judy Garland
"To help a friend in need is easy, but to give him your time is not always opportune." --Charlie Chaplin
"Dumb show is best for screen people, if they must appear in public." --Buster Keaton
Hollis

Amen...

Post by Hollis »

PKTrekGirl,

Thanks for saying so well what should have been taken as a given long ago.

Hollis
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ Well, I think it's difficult to move on sometimes. We all went through alot over there...and spent alot of time trying to bail water out of a sinking ship.

But IMO, the best way to move past it is to take what we have and build something better. Focus on the positive that is 'now'.

It was only an internet message board, after all. And now it's over.

I think it will take a conscious effort on everyone's part to concentrate on moving on and letting go of the past...and it likely won't be easy. But I think this community will be the better for it if we can do that.

:)
Kyle In Hollywood

Re: Ongoing discussion of TCM board posters

Post by Kyle In Hollywood »

pktrekgirl wrote: It is my feeling that this sort of thing is not illustrative of particularly constructive discussion. After all, we have moved on...and it's time to focus on the positive rather than dwelling on the negative

So - Is there any way we could move past this and get on with things?

... I have found that spin-off communities that remain pre-occupied with the activities of their former communities (emphisis mine - kjk) tend to be rather bitter and resentful groups that remain mired in the events of the past.

I'd hate to see that happen here.

pktrekgirl -
I understand your position completely and think all that you wrote is a valid position to have. But I do think it important to remember that we all came together through the TCM community. It is the tie that bound us. I hope you didn't expect anyone here to become completely untethered from "the mothership' by becoming members of this group. Many of us - at least for me - may not think of the TCM Forums as a "former community". I have no intention of abandoning those Forums.

I want to participate in the upcoming Programming Challenge from 'allieharding'. As a person who is quite familiar with all the obscure areas of the TCM website, I want to guide newbies to articles and such that will answer their questions. And I still want to be a part of TCM. For a fan of the Channel, being a member of their Forums is the only way acknowledge that appreciation to TCM. It has given me too much pleasure to close the door on what drew us together in the first place.

I know you are putting alot of time and effort into making this site a vibrant and exciiting destination for film fans and TCM viewers alilke. I am most appreciative and will be nothing but supportive in making that happen - in every way I can. Yet, I think it is important for many members here to be able to process what was experienced at "the mothership" over the past few months. I can name a few posters who would describe what happened as traumatic. It was an unusual shared experience in that it couldn't be spoken of over there freely. Here is a place where it can be discussed without fear of alienation or attack. IMO, being able to do that here will only make this community stronger in the long run.

I have no knowledge of how other communities act and react when "healthy" or "sickly" or when they branch off from already existing commuities. The TCM Forums have been the only place online where I participated. So I accept your observation about online communities based on your past experiences. But I also know that this is a brand-spanking new community created out of a desire for an outlet that would be free of the "sturm und drang" going on elsewhere. The "sturm und drang" drove us together. It is an experience we are all bringing with us to this community and I believe it a valid topic of conversation for a group that has been active for only a few weeks.

I don't discount your wish for the past to remain in the past. But we don't even have a "past" here - yet. That day will arrive and I look forward to it arriving as much as anyone. But I think it is unfair to ask that it be considered "water under the bridge" so soon. There will come a day it will be far enough down river to be thought of nostalgically. But all that debris in the water is still around and I think it prudent to accept that for a time being. If it begins to have a detrimental effect on this community, then it is perfectly legitimate to request the topic be snuffed. But I see such discussions as strengthening to this young group until we have our own shared history from congregating here.

Kyle
Kyle In Hollywood
filmlover

re: TCM board

Post by filmlover »

I agree with Kyle.

lol, I was just thinking, maybe everybody should be limited to 10 posts a day here. That way, if somebody gets mad, they would have time to cool off before they post again, having to wait until the next day. And it would make us more selective of what we do post. LOL, it would also act as a deterrent in case cs sneaks over here.
Ayres

Post by Ayres »

pktrekgirl,

I agree completely with what you've said. But may I just say (in the words of William Saroyan):

Peace, it's wonderful.

Ayres
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I think both posters are making valid points.

On one hand, this is the very person who drove most (if not all of the people here) a bit crazy now and then and inspired the creation of this forum. It would be silly not to acknowlege that and the problems and frustrations that could not be vented at that time.

On the other hand it's silly to have a thread dedicated to this person. It's almost like reliving the vicimization all over again and giving this person an influence of power here.

Personally, I think everyone should have their say and get it out of their system and then let's move on.