Censorship on this site?

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Jon:

What exactly did you put your foot down about concerning Chet and Connie? I, for one, miss them. I would much more prefer seeing them than this unknown lady who seemed to sprout from some cyberland. If the amusing Chet and Connie were going to be dislodged, why were they not replaced with a known icon such as Fred Astaire or Clark Gable as pictured in the pencil drawings from the Classical Art Thread? Don't get me wrong, the drawing of the lady is a nice one, well shadowed, and fairly good perspective, but I still feel that for a classic movie site, a classic movie star should be its' logo.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

She doesn't look like Garbo to you?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I guess the photo was up for two days before it appeared on my computer, I even asked for someone to run a copy of it for me so I could see it. When it appeared at the top of my page, I doubted that I got the right photo. To me it looks like a skinny Greer Garson with Bob Hope's nose. I apologize that my eyes don't see what others see, but I just don't. Which is why I suggested drawings from our members on the Classical Drawing thread.

I'm still curious what Jon put his foot down about.

Anne
Anne

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Dear Anne,
As I thought that I conveyed in a previous pm to you after receiving your comments about the change in our site's masthead image, I believe that it was generous of Synnove to allow us to use the drawing that she made of Greta Garbo on our site. The choice was made by Jon (who maintains our site technically, providing us with this forum), because the familiar Chet & Connie were not relevant to our film-related content and there are photo rights issues that could be infringed by using a picture of a movie icon in such a prominent position on our site. It was time for a change. The drawings of Bob Hope and others from the Film Art section of the site were not used since the poster who placed them originally was no longer active here.

As I mentioned in my previous private message to you, if you don't wish to see this picture, you can block images from our site.

Here's how:
Point your mouse at the image of Greta Garbo and right click there. One of the options that your Firefox browser gives you then is "Block images from silverscreenoasis." If you then left click on that choice, you will no longer see pictures on this site such as the main page drawing and avatars or emoticons.

If you decide to reinstate this feature, you can go to Tools at the top of your screen, click on Options and look for the checked box which will show "Load images automatically" with a bar saying "Exceptions" parallel to it. Click on the "Exceptions" bar which will take you to Exceptions - Images pop-up box. Highlighting this website's name in the list of blocked images sites and clicking on "Remove Site" bar on the lower part of this pop-up box will then enable you to see all images on the SSO again.

If I may speak as the founder and director of the SSO, I appreciate your participation and that of each member here. I'd like to hope that we can accept one another's differences with grace and generosity in this small arena. Who knows, it might just make a difference for the better in the real world.
Last edited by moira finnie on April 23rd, 2008, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Lots of traumatic stuff going on in the life and home of Mrs. L in the past two weeks. Besides personal stuff, lots of illness concerning several members of my family, immediate and extended, also, my computer has been acting like a jerk, and I couldn't get my bills paid.

I owe a large apology to Synnove and everyone else. Moira, I totally forgot your response to my PM, things have been happening in my apartment building that are freaky and confusing. Maybe someday I can explain, but right now, suffice it to say I have walked around in a bubble of confusion for days.

To Synnove: It does not look like a drawing, but more like a photo, which is why I couldn't understand the perspective.

Please bear with me for a while.

Anne
Anne

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

No problem Anne. We all go through tough patches. I hope that you'll bear with us too. Your presence is always welcome. Take care of yourself, please.
Last edited by moira finnie on April 23rd, 2008, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Anne,
I hope the bad patch is mostly in the rear view mirror. You have many cyber-friends here that wish you nothing but the best.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Hang in there, Anne. You can always PM if you feel the need to vent more fully. We've had more than our share of household illness in the recent past chez moi as well - I know how it feels.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Do hang in there. We all have our moments. Your's sounds tough though.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

I hope this means the gas leak has not returned! As for the other issues, please let me know what I can do to help. You were so kind to me last year with my dad that I want to return the favor any way I can.

Please know that we are thinking of you and keeping you in our thoughts.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese