All alone in this vast wilderness

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
Rita Hayworth

Re: All alone in this vast wilderness

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Maybe we should start P/M the lost members that we are approaching our 8th anniversary and come back for a little while to jump start this forum. I just hate to see this dying and I don't care for Facebook myself.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

mrsl wrote:I checked out the SSO Facebook group and I don't care for it at all. You wold have to sign in to each thread individually it seems to me, but I can understand how you could end up spending the better part of a day there. I still prefer this place.
I'm not sure how you access Facebook but that's not the case at all. All you do is click in the empty box at the bottom of each thread, type what you want to say, and hit enter. That said, I too prefer this place, but I wanted to make sure you knew it wasn't difficult at all posting to the Facebook page. :)
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Erik,

I have reached out to the other Mods with your idea and other ideas that have been posted here.

We will keep everyone posted but I am hoping we can implement some of these ideas as part of our 8th anniversary celebration next month!

Thanks!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I GOT THE CLARION CALL...AND I AM HERE.

This Oasis was a place to go when things got extremely untenable over at TCM-City. Here was a place for discussion, wonderfully moderated, and I tell you, I've read things here ( and at TCM-City before it got so horrible ) that were worthy of scholars; discussions and points of views that literally made me weep from the beauty and eloquence of the writing. Literally. Conversational, not pedantic, not "Oh-look-how-much-more-I-know-than-you," ( I would run like hell from that ). Friendly...kibbitzing...fun. Not snarky.

But things change in Life. Hell, I have no answers. I am not the smartest lightbulb in that bunch of bananas by any means. I got a lesson recently that made me see some things more clearly.

I live next to a junior high school. And at lunchtime the whole schoolyard is filled with kids - running jumping playing. I noticed something... there were different circles of kids hanging with each other. It wasn't every single kid playing with every single other kid. I saw boys being more physical; they are chasing or wrestling each other or playing basketball or soccer. I noticed the girls...ha! just talking, gabbing, gossiping, not being as physical. I noticed a group of girls and boys over here, and a group of boys and girls over there. I saw Muslim kids and Spanish kids and Black kids together...and in their own little groups. They were all kids, all in the same school, all of the same approximate age groups, all exercising their freedom of playtime, but they all weren't playing with each other. That's what happened here and on other Message Boards and other places.

In the midst of the many great conversations I've read here at the Oasis, there were folks who bonded or had an affinity with certain other folks. Certain folks bonded with certain folks. Or conversations and questions were posed that went ignored. Or people dropped out for life altering reasons. Or folks felt chased away or only came here to publicize their own projects. It's hard to pinpoint a single reason and I know you're not looking for any specific reasons for the migration. Conversation is a two-way street and there were times that wasn't the case here. When my core little crew left I felt, how'd the ol' song go..."lost and all alone." No one to play catch with or jump rope with.

It's hard to figure out how to bring back the magic that we had. I'd feel bad if Authors are invited to the Oasis with no one here to greet them and pose questions to them.

As I found some of the folks I particularly bonded with and who had enjoyed talking to me, disappearing, I still was full of wanting to talk about movies. To satisfy that want and love, I decided to write a classic film blog; I have it up and running now. Granted, it's not the great conversation snatcher and I've no idea if anyone is really reading it, but it's a place where I can memorialize my work all in one spot.

An iPHONE generation? Yeah buddy. Everyone is plugged in...and tuned out. Folks aren't having conversations anymore. They're talking AT each other. I say: "Blah blah blah," you say: "Meh meh meh" and folks are not connecting. Is it Mr. Arkadin who mentioned that there are more FB groups out there that are getting more and more specific with topics? Yup...and it's STILL not necessarily a two-way conversation. I don't know if anyone will even find my blog in the Internet Universe. It is a needle in the haystack. I do know that there's not enough time in my day to "Follow" everyone's blog to read. But blogging is a place I can go to just express myself. I'd much rather do it with people though.

People are creatures of habit I'm afraid, but I loved the Oasis and hope it can continue. I hope it pulls through this Social Media phase of Life. Or at the very least, stand as a resource library to some great information.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Cinemaven:

Good for you starting a blog! I wish I had the words to do the same. I talk a lot, but I just don't have the gift that some of the others have here. When LzCutter talks about John Ford and his movies, it's like poetry, or a beautiful ode to him. She says in volumes what I can only say in I love him as a director, and enjoy his movies immensely. blah, period, blah. See what I mean?

These are some things I would like to see us do:

Comparison:

4 Daughters & Young at Heart
Bachelor Mother & Bundle of Joy
Trooper Hook & The Stalking Moon

Dissect:

Tender Comrade
Best Years of our Lives
Kitty Foyle

I love to see why some members think certain characters did specific things, or how they did. I love the movie Tender Comrade but I would like to know what we thought of the five girls who decided to live together, what we thought of the one who dated, the refugee, etc. Kitty Foyle was filled with 'what would you do' dilemmas and I wonder what we would do today.

Let's just keep brainstorming until someone hits something we all want to do.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Link to your blog, Cinemaven?
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

There is a forum for movie blogs down on the main page. See "Movie Links."

There are some things that can probably come off but room for more.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]Lomm[/u] wrote:Link to your blog, Cinemaven?
Lomm - here it is:

[u]mrsl[/u] wrote:.
Cinemaven:

Good for you starting a blog! I wish I had the words to do the same. I talk a lot, but I just don't have the gift that some of the others have here. When LzCutter talks about John Ford and his movies, it's like poetry, or a beautiful ode to him. She says in volumes what I can only say in I love him as a director, and enjoy his movies immensely. blah, period, blah. See what I mean?

L0L! It's a lot of work, but a lot of fun Mrs.L., as my learning curve was severly tested. It might not be everyone's cup o' tea...but it keeps me out of trouble. You made good suggestions above, and the Oasis is a good outlet for some cinema-talkin'.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

There's something else I've found. I've been posting about movies for ten tears now. I'm not seeing many I haven't seen before. Consequently, I've said just about all I have to say. Everybody knows I like CAPE FEAR! MALTESE FALCON. That I'm a great John Ford fan. Don't even get me started on the fantasy about the guy who gets really small! Sugar likes COOL HAND LUKE, the first movie we watched together!

There are only so many times I can say the same things about the same movies. I'm sure nobody's bored with me. But to tell the truth, I'm a little tired of myself! I'll continue to click on the site. Every day. But sometimes...it's a brief visit. Changes.
Masha

Post by Masha »

RedRiver wrote:There's something else I've found. I've been posting about movies for ten tears now. I'm not seeing many I haven't seen before. Consequently, I've said just about all I have to say.
I must wonder if you might find interest in movies which are not common.

I am posting in:
http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... f=8&t=6845
movies which I believe are: "atypical." By that I mean they do not follow ordinary story-telling techniques or are of unconventional subject.

I am posting in:
http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... =80&t=6283
movies made by: Mosfilm which are available on YouTube with English subtitles.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

RedRiver wrote:There's something else I've found. I've been posting about movies for ten tears now. I'm not seeing many I haven't seen before. Consequently, I've said just about all I have to say. Everybody knows I like CAPE FEAR! MALTESE FALCON. That I'm a great John Ford fan. Don't even get me started on the fantasy about the guy who gets really small! Sugar likes COOL HAND LUKE, the first movie we watched together!

There are only so many times I can say the same things about the same movies. I'm sure nobody's bored with me. But to tell the truth, I'm a little tired of myself! I'll continue to click on the site. Every day. But sometimes...it's a brief visit. Changes.
I watch recent films too, not just classics. No reason we can't discuss them too. I've seen some really good ones lately, that were released in 2014. I've been considering posting about them, either in the 'what films have you seen lately' thread, or perhaps starting their own threads if it seems they might merit more discussion.

Plus we can discuss other things besides cinema here, like television, the weather, books, life in general. There are forums for all that. :)
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Professional tourist: I have seen a very few but good movies made recently in 2013, and 2014 like you. Your idea is a good one of putting them up for discussion but please don't put it on General Chat because that's the thread I'm held back on. It's infuriating because what I did was so long ago even my hot Italian father would have forgiven me by now and maybe even realized I was not being mean just trying to explain something nobody seemed to understand as I posted, and when you get into a good discussion, it's a pain not to be able to respond immediately, but have your post held back for sometimes 2 or 3 days. When it finally appears, often the subject has long since been passed over. Anyway, when I see a movie I like that is not a classic, I put it in the Drama, or Comedy threads but often they are ignored and I don't get any responses. Recently I've seen White House Down several times. I love this movie. It has tons of shooting, furniture being broken, people getting shot, etc., but somehow they manage to do the whole thing with no bodies exploding all over the walls, or windows. There are no close up shots where a person gets shot between the eyes and you see the blood dripping down slowly. . . I love a good action movie, in fact I requested an action thread when we first started this site to cover war movies, and other action films, but when war movies became so life-like they got a little too much for me and I listened to many movies with my hands over my eyes through half of it.

I miss the old lovey romantic comedies they made in the 40's and 50's like Every Girl Should be Married, Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream House, It Started in Naples, and Teachers Pet, etc. I would even love to see a new Topper series, or a Maizie. They were all just for fun and for you to sit back and relax. I would also like to see a couple of cowboy movies with real heroes like Randolph Scott and Gene Autry. Sure they were simple, but so what, I can read a history book if I want to learn about the bad stuff in life like Masha said. I want stuff I can let my grandkids see and not worry about their learning bad language or how to make a bomb.

Okay, enough soap box for today.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I talk about the modern films I have seen usually in the "Recent Movies" thread but it always seems out of place when I do.

I just created a new sub-forum under "The Films" for talking about modern films. It it titled "Talk About Modern Films" and I would love to hear people's thoughts about any modern films they have seen and enjoyed (or not enjoyed) there!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Lzcutter wrote:I just created a new sub-forum under "The Films" for talking about modern films. It it titled "Talk About Modern Films" and I would love to hear people's thoughts about any modern films they have seen and enjoyed (or not enjoyed) there!
Good idea, Lzcutter. I was about to make the first post but found that I could not -- there was no button to create a new topic. Also found this message displayed: "You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum."
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

PT,

I just altered the permissions and created a thread. Are you able to post now in that forum?
Lynn in Lake Balboa