Request for Like/Thank Button

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
Post Reply
User avatar
EP Millstone
Posts: 623
Joined: October 20th, 2022, 9:40 am
Location: The Western Hemisphere

Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by EP Millstone »

Greetings, System Administrators,

Is it possible to install the phpbb Thanks for posts extension and then modify "Thanks" to "Like" so that forum members can click a Like button to like posts?

See Thanks for posts and Like button post.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
User avatar
ElCid
Posts: 156
Joined: December 2nd, 2022, 12:41 pm
Location: Northwest South Carolina

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by ElCid »

EP Millstone wrote: December 10th, 2022, 4:00 pm Greetings, System Administrators,

Is it possible to install the phpbb Thanks for posts extension and then modify "Thanks" to "Like" so that forum members can click a Like button to like posts?

See Thanks for posts and Like button post.
I would go for that IF they also create a dislike or disagree button.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
User avatar
EP Millstone
Posts: 623
Joined: October 20th, 2022, 9:40 am
Location: The Western Hemisphere

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by EP Millstone »

ElCid wrote: December 10th, 2022, 4:37 pm I would go for that IF they also create a dislike or disagree button.
Now, now, ElCid, none of that! Play nice!

Personally, I don't care about reaction buttons and emoticons/emojis. But apparently, some forum members crave them.

I agree with the comment by "KevC" in the phpbb Commnity forum Add a Like Button to Each Post:
". . . you have a discussion board where you want people to write stuff, not just tick 'like' and move on without saying anything else."
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
User avatar
ziggy6708a
Posts: 203
Joined: January 14th, 2013, 9:17 am

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by ziggy6708a »

EP Millstone wrote: December 10th, 2022, 4:00 pm Greetings, System Administrators,

Is it possible to install the phpbb Thanks for posts extension and then modify "Thanks" to "Like" so that forum members can click a Like button to like posts?

See Thanks for posts and Like button post.


:smiley_cheer:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
User avatar
Masha
Posts: 1019
Joined: January 16th, 2015, 10:22 am

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by Masha »

I respectfully disagree. We don't need no stinkin' buttons

I would personally benefit from such a button in two ways. 1) There are times when it is uncomfortable for me to type and being able to laud a post with a simple click of a button would demonstrate my appreciation for the poster's involvement while not suffering for it. 2) Much of what I post is slightly humorous or slightly helpful and generally does not merit a full comment but might often warrant a cheap-and-cheerful click of a button.

I remain against it because it suppresses discussion and is open to misuse.

It is common for a person to dither about writing a reply because they are not sure how to word it or because of the time involved. Having a button decides the matter for them because it is fast and easy quasi-reply. The entire reason for having a discussion board is to discuss things. A button does not allow a person to indicate why they liked the post and so does not allow discussions on that aspect.

It is normal human behavior to seek approval from the group. Receiving many likes to a post will cause a person to create very similar posts to gain further approval. A neurotic might with ease center their life around receiving 'likes' but even a well-oriented person will be swayed subconsciously in their decision as to whether they should write a post about which they are more interested or to write a post which is more likely to be popular. Any decisions which promote popularity reduce the richness and variety of the forum.

An analysis of many forums shows that the most common behavior is to exchange likes. Your liking my post means I will like your posts. This is a major cause of newcomers feeling disenfranchised because they see older posters receiving many likes but their posts receiving few or none because they have not yet built up a network of fellow-likers.

I believe that what I post in threads such as: Domestic Feline and: Memes best demonstrates my attitude. I post what I find the most funny. My wish is to share a bit of happiness. Someone replying how much they like it is wonderful because it means I made the world a tiny bit nicer for one person. That will happen only rarely but that makes it all the more special when it does happen. It is quite fine with me if people find some of my posts amusing but feel that they do not rise to the level of warranting a reply. I will say to those people who want to portray interest to gain my favor or to serve forum politics but can not form a cogent reply: keep your ******* **** ****** fingers to ***** *** ********* and ***** and not your ********** mouse!
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
User avatar
laffite
Posts: 555
Joined: October 27th, 2022, 10:43 pm

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by laffite »

I am almost convinced after that (Masha's post). How long does it take to register a reaction when using the quick reply? It doesn't take that much longer that clicking a button. The Quick Reply is right in front of the poster. Just stick an emojli in there, or simply write LIKE or THANKS or FUNNY. And who knows, a further comment might come to mind.
Avatar: "Hitchcock House"

I know there are people in the world who DO NOT LOVE their fellow human beings and I HATE people like that." --Tom Lehrer
User avatar
laffite
Posts: 555
Joined: October 27th, 2022, 10:43 pm

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by laffite »

ElCid wrote: December 10th, 2022, 4:37 pm
EP Millstone wrote: December 10th, 2022, 4:00 pm Greetings, System Administrators,

Is it possible to install the phpbb Thanks for posts extension and then modify "Thanks" to "Like" so that forum members can click a Like button to like posts?

See Thanks for posts and Like button post.
I would go for that IF they also create a dislike or disagree button.
I am ADAMANTLY opposed to this. The section that explains posting procedures points out that if one criticizes, one should have the decency to politely (if possible) to say why. You can't just say "It stinks," which was a dislike button says. It's negative and can promote resentments.
Avatar: "Hitchcock House"

I know there are people in the world who DO NOT LOVE their fellow human beings and I HATE people like that." --Tom Lehrer
User avatar
laffite
Posts: 555
Joined: October 27th, 2022, 10:43 pm

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by laffite »

EP Millstone wrote: December 10th, 2022, 5:00 pm
ElCid wrote: December 10th, 2022, 4:37 pm I would go for that IF they also create a dislike or disagree button.
Now, now, ElCid, none of that! Play nice!

Personally, I don't care about reaction buttons and emoticons/emojis. But apparently, some forum members crave them.

I agree with the comment by "KevC" in the phpbb Commnity forum Add a Like Button to Each Post:
". . . you have a discussion board where you want people to write stuff, not just tick 'like' and move on without saying anything else."
Deleted by Laffite
Last edited by laffite on December 11th, 2022, 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: "Hitchcock House"

I know there are people in the world who DO NOT LOVE their fellow human beings and I HATE people like that." --Tom Lehrer
User avatar
Masha
Posts: 1019
Joined: January 16th, 2015, 10:22 am

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by Masha »

laffite wrote: December 10th, 2022, 8:56 pm I am almost convinced after that (Masha's post). How long does it take to register a reaction when using the quick reply? It doesn't take that much longer that clicking a button. The Quick Reply is right in front of the poster. Just stick an emojli in there, or simply write LIKE or THANKS or FUNNY. And who knows, a further comment might come to mind.
:D

A 'Quick Reply' button does not appear on my display but I can see where it might be handy to have.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
User avatar
Swithin
Posts: 366
Joined: October 22nd, 2022, 5:25 pm

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by Swithin »

I understand the need for, and uses of, a "like" button. Sometimes someone posts something that I agree with -- perhaps an opinion about a film, or something like that. A "like" button is a simple way of signifying agreement, rather than writing a post which might just say "I agree." Perhaps a button that says "thanks" would also be useful.

I guess for the "thank you," we could just post this:

User avatar
EP Millstone
Posts: 623
Joined: October 20th, 2022, 9:40 am
Location: The Western Hemisphere

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by EP Millstone »

Masha wrote: December 10th, 2022, 9:55 pm A 'Quick Reply' button does not appear on my display but I can see where it might be handy to have.
Masha,

You don't see Quick Replay at the bottom of a topic and below all responses?

IMO, you make a good case for not having a Like button. I agree with your arguments, particularly your argument about forum members seeking approval. Likes cause the risk of topics turning into popularity contests. Before the shutdown of The TCM Message Boards, some members were kvelling about "winning days" (sound like anyone you know? ;)). To me, such rewards smack of grade school politics and arrested development. But hey, whatever.

Your point about exchanging likes rang true with me. On The TCM Message Boards, I often "loved" posts (sometimes by folks who I didn't particularly care for) merely to reciprocate (because they loved a post of mine) as a way of acknowledging their "love."

Some SSO newbies want reaction buttons to posts. Again, that the SSO does not have reaction buttons doesn't bother me in the slightest bit. But after reading the discussion in the phpBB Community topic Add a Like Button to Each Post, I decided to submit a request to SSO administrators. At least one forum owner complained that he was losing "loads of users" to a Facebook group that provided members the ability to like comments. You've been on the SSO for several years. I suspect that the reason for the migration of SSO old-timers to Facebook was not because they could not like posts 'round here. But if newbies -- particularly young newbies who are conditioned by Facebook and other social media sites -- are accustomed to expressing their reactions to posts . . .

Perhaps it's time for the SSO to keep up with the times . . . to attract the next generation of forum members.

phpBB Community: Likes button under post
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
User avatar
LostHorizons
Posts: 317
Joined: October 22nd, 2022, 4:37 pm

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by LostHorizons »

I am firmly opposed to any sort of reaction replies. I have always felt it more of an obligation like if you do not like certain posts you have read the person will get the idea that you did not approve of what they are saying. I like it better on here where you can just assume where you see me replying to a thread that unless I outright oppose an idea you put forward that I agree with it.
User avatar
EP Millstone
Posts: 623
Joined: October 20th, 2022, 9:40 am
Location: The Western Hemisphere

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by EP Millstone »

ElCid wrote: December 10th, 2022, 4:37 pm I would go for that IF they also create a dislike or disagree button.
laffite wrote: December 10th, 2022, 9:04 pm I am ADAMANTLY opposed to this. The section that explains posting procedures points out that if one criticizes, one should have the decency to politely (if possible) to say why. You can't just say "It stinks," which was a dislike button says. It's negative and can promote resentments.
I entirely agree, laffite!

Personally, a dislike/disagree button is not sufficient for me to express my negativity, skewer with invective, and rage and fulminate in the grand and glorious style that has made me world-famous and endeared me to millions.

I'm also opposed to blocking members. The Ignore option on The TCM Message Boards was one feature that I disliked.

I don't get why some folks don't have the willpower to simply ignore other folks and need an "eliminator" to entirely obliterate irritants from existence. I cannot help but wonder how such hypersensitive types function in the real world and real life.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
User avatar
Masha
Posts: 1019
Joined: January 16th, 2015, 10:22 am

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by Masha »

EP Millstone wrote: December 11th, 2022, 1:25 am
Perhaps it's time for the SSO to keep up with the times . . . to attract the next generation of forum members.
Imitating something or someone which is popular to make yourself popular is a fool's errand. Remaining true to yourself and letting the chips fall where they may is the honorable way.

Posit this: One person on Facebook has fifty thousand friends who follow their posts and 'Like' all their opinions. A different person has three friends who borrow each other's tools and constantly argue about which football team is best. Both of these people have the sudden need for help to hide a body before the police arrive. Which one is likely to have to go it alone?

Facespace needed a: 'Like' button because the volume of replies telling of agreement or support to a popular post was a bandwidth nightmare and needed to be curtailed. This alone is all the empiric evidence you need to know that: 'Like' buttons suppress discussions.

A rave will attract hundreds of people who wish to party hardy while all their senses are brutally assaulted. Just as many people in the general area will be having parties of two to four couples in private homes. Facespace is a rave blown out of proportion. I would rather be with a few friends sharing drinks and nibbles in someone's rec room watching: The Mystery of Mr. X (1934) on their widescreen.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
User avatar
Swithin
Posts: 366
Joined: October 22nd, 2022, 5:25 pm

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by Swithin »

Another reason I like "like" buttons is that they can discourage excessively long posts at times when they may not be necessary. A "like" button allows one to express a simple opinion neatly and leanly wrapped up with a click of a button.

But I realize Mantan Moreland would disagree with me:

Samantha to Jeff: "You ain't no zombie. Zombies can't talk."

Jeff: "Can I help it 'cause I'm loquacious?"

Post Reply