Request for Like/Thank Button

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
User avatar
LawrenceA
Posts: 486
Joined: October 22nd, 2022, 1:04 pm

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by LawrenceA »

LostHorizons wrote: December 12th, 2022, 10:27 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: December 12th, 2022, 10:09 pm Kind of bent over my desktop, I think I understand discomfort typing. I don't see such evidence, and glad. For me, forums are about conversation, not points.
Well said.
Was it? Because I'm not sure what he means. He's bent over his desktop? But he doesn't see evidence? Of what? Whose talking about points, or tracking them?
Watching until the end.
User avatar
Dargo
Posts: 307
Joined: October 28th, 2022, 10:37 am

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by Dargo »

Cuthbert wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:28 pm The fact that there may have been a couple of posters who got off on how many "likes" they got, is a red herring. It doesn't diminish the value of the "like" button for users of the button.
Yep, I agree, Cuthbert.

And GEE, wouldn't it be great if instead of my having to quote you here in order express this thought, there was some kind of, oh I dunno, maybe a "LIKE" button or SOMETHING I could have used INSTEAD???

(...what a novel idea, wouldn't ya say?!) ;)

LOL
User avatar
EP Millstone
Posts: 619
Joined: October 20th, 2022, 9:40 am
Location: The Western Hemisphere

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by EP Millstone »

LawrenceA wrote: December 12th, 2022, 11:16 pm Was it? Because I'm not sure what he means. He's bent over his desktop? But he doesn't see evidence? Of what? Whose talking about points, or tracking them?
I think it's haiku.

POLL: Do you want a Like button?
Last edited by EP Millstone on December 13th, 2022, 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
User avatar
EP Millstone
Posts: 619
Joined: October 20th, 2022, 9:40 am
Location: The Western Hemisphere

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by EP Millstone »

Dargo wrote: December 13th, 2022, 12:26 am . . . And GEE, wouldn't it be great if instead of my having to quote you here in order express this thought, there was some kind of, oh I dunno, maybe a "LIKE" button or SOMETHING I could have used INSTEAD?? . . .
Ahhh, but a Like isn't as entertaining and witty as you are, Dargo!

POLL: Do you want a Like button?
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
User avatar
Dargo
Posts: 307
Joined: October 28th, 2022, 10:37 am

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by Dargo »

EP Millstone wrote: December 13th, 2022, 12:31 am
Dargo wrote: December 13th, 2022, 12:26 am . . . And GEE, wouldn't it be great if instead of my having to quote you here in order express this thought, there was some kind of, oh I dunno, maybe a "LIKE" button or SOMETHING I could have used INSTEAD?? . . .
Ahhh, but a Like isn't as entertaining and witty as you are, Dargo!
Okay EPM! There's NO reason to butter me up here, ya know.

Ya see, I've ALREADY cast my "yes" vote in that poll o' yours here.

(...in fact, I think I was the very FIRST person to cast their vote in it today)

;)
User avatar
laffite
Posts: 540
Joined: October 27th, 2022, 10:43 pm

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by laffite »

LostHorizons wrote: December 12th, 2022, 10:26 pm
laffite wrote: December 12th, 2022, 9:31 pm
sagebrush wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:19 pm I like the "like", "thanks" and "sad" icons. What I would really like, though, is a "quote selection" option.
At 'over there' there was an option to select part of the quote if you wanted to just answer that. Just select and the software would ask, "quote this" and the poster being drawn from would be alerted. I don't think we can do that here at least without a lot of trouble. You can cut and paste the partial post but the member whose post was being quoted would not be alerted by the software.
Strangely enough, I get alerted any time I am in a quote chain so if someone quotes a person who quoted me I am altered even though I wasn’t directly quoted myself.
Not sure what you mean altered. There is nothing different about what you posted. And it is in the right order of the chain. That chain though, does need to be perused and even contemplated on to quite understand perfectly.
Avatar: "Hitchcock House"

I know there are people in the world who DO NOT LOVE their fellow human beings and I HATE people like that." --Tom Lehrer
User avatar
LostHorizons
Posts: 315
Joined: October 22nd, 2022, 4:37 pm

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by LostHorizons »

LawrenceA wrote: December 12th, 2022, 11:16 pm
LostHorizons wrote: December 12th, 2022, 10:27 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: December 12th, 2022, 10:09 pm Kind of bent over my desktop, I think I understand discomfort typing. I don't see such evidence, and glad. For me, forums are about conversation, not points.
Well said.
Was it? Because I'm not sure what he means. He's bent over his desktop? But he doesn't see evidence? Of what? Whose talking about points, or tracking them?
Likes aren’t necessarily points but I feel they do put pressure on you somewhat to like certain posts or else it comes off like you dislike the person. It’s just too much effort and pressure to like every comment you agree with. That is what I took from his last part.
User avatar
Hibi
Posts: 304
Joined: July 3rd, 2008, 1:22 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by Hibi »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 12th, 2022, 7:17 pm
Hibi wrote: December 12th, 2022, 2:39 pm
Cuthbert wrote: December 12th, 2022, 2:30 pm

I guess I disagree. Using a "like" button has nothing to do with "garnering likes;" it's just a simple way for the responder to respond quickly and then move on. That same poster will no doubt spend more in-depth time on other posts/threads.

Despite the many problems, altercations, etc. on the TCM Board, to my knowledge the use of the various buttons never impacted anything negatively. It certainly didn't minimize conversation! The only button that could be confusing at times was the "sad" button, which could be taken different ways.

I would not want to see a "dislike" button.

(I will continue to use a "like" icon when I feel it's relevant; it just takes up so much more space than a simple button would!)

AGREE. Sometimes a LIKE or LAUGH is all that's needed. No discussion required! Who cares how many likes one has???
Hibi, as you may recall there were a few posters on the old TCM boards who took pride in their "reputation points" that were based on the number of "likes" that their posts received.

LOL. I don't think that would apply here.

There was even one extremely annoying poster who created a thread called "What Do Likes Mean?"
User avatar
ziggy6708a
Posts: 203
Joined: January 14th, 2013, 9:17 am

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by ziggy6708a »

Dargo wrote: December 13th, 2022, 12:39 am
EP Millstone wrote: December 13th, 2022, 12:31 am
Dargo wrote: December 13th, 2022, 12:26 am . . . And GEE, wouldn't it be great if instead of my having to quote you here in order express this thought, there was some kind of, oh I dunno, maybe a "LIKE" button or SOMETHING I could have used INSTEAD?? . . .
Ahhh, but a Like isn't as entertaining and witty as you are, Dargo!
Okay EPM! There's NO reason to butter me up here, ya know.

Ya see, I've ALREADY cast my "yes" vote in that poll o' yours here.

(...in fact, I think I was the very FIRST person to cast their vote in it today)

;)
-Liked :lol:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
User avatar
Hibi
Posts: 304
Joined: July 3rd, 2008, 1:22 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by Hibi »

ziggy6708a wrote: December 13th, 2022, 9:39 pm
Dargo wrote: December 13th, 2022, 12:39 am
EP Millstone wrote: December 13th, 2022, 12:31 am

Ahhh, but a Like isn't as entertaining and witty as you are, Dargo!
Okay EPM! There's NO reason to butter me up here, ya know.

Ya see, I've ALREADY cast my "yes" vote in that poll o' yours here.

(...in fact, I think I was the very FIRST person to cast their vote in it today)

;)
-Liked :lol:
I LIKE your LIKE!
User avatar
Hibi
Posts: 304
Joined: July 3rd, 2008, 1:22 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: December 13th, 2022, 12:26 am
Cuthbert wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:28 pm The fact that there may have been a couple of posters who got off on how many "likes" they got, is a red herring. It doesn't diminish the value of the "like" button for users of the button.
Yep, I agree, Cuthbert.

And GEE, wouldn't it be great if instead of my having to quote you here in order express this thought, there was some kind of, oh I dunno, maybe a "LIKE" button or SOMETHING I could have used INSTEAD???

(...what a novel idea, wouldn't ya say?!) ;)

LOL
LIKE!
User avatar
laffite
Posts: 540
Joined: October 27th, 2022, 10:43 pm

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by laffite »

Cuthbert wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:28 pm The fact that there may have been a couple of posters who got off on how many "likes" they got, is a red herring. It doesn't diminish the value of the "like" button for users of the button.
My record for LIKES in a single post was 17 at TCM. It was a dry comment targeting the infamous "enfant terrible."

MissWonderly3 (Where are you, BTW?) posted something about Asta that garnered 23 likes.

I don't keep track, but TCM published the list (that I visited maybe two or three times in all the years). The highest was was well into the 20s.

For the record, I don't think that I have experienced any orgiastic dances of enthusiasm.

:smiley_happygroup:
Avatar: "Hitchcock House"

I know there are people in the world who DO NOT LOVE their fellow human beings and I HATE people like that." --Tom Lehrer
User avatar
Swithin
Posts: 359
Joined: October 22nd, 2022, 5:25 pm

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by Swithin »

laffite wrote: December 21st, 2022, 6:41 pm
Cuthbert wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:28 pm The fact that there may have been a couple of posters who got off on how many "likes" they got, is a red herring. It doesn't diminish the value of the "like" button for users of the button.
My record for LIKES in a single post was 17 at TCM. It was a dry comment targeting the infamous "enfant terrible."

MissWonderly3 (Where are you, BTW?) posted something about Asta that garnered 23 likes.

I don't keep track, but TCM published the list (that I visited maybe two or three times in all the years). The highest was was well into the 20s.

For the record, I don't think that I have experienced any orgiastic dances of enthusiasm.

:smiley_happygroup:
You should do your orgiastic dance of enthusiasm. I've always thought of you as a Maenad!
User avatar
Thompson
Posts: 222
Joined: November 30th, 2022, 3:04 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by Thompson »

17 Likes? Wow, I had three on one of my posts, along with a sad, two confused, and a rotten egg.
Last edited by Thompson on December 21st, 2022, 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Talk is cheap, whiskey costs money” — Harry Caray
User avatar
laffite
Posts: 540
Joined: October 27th, 2022, 10:43 pm

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by laffite »

Cuthbert wrote: December 21st, 2022, 8:19 pm
laffite wrote: December 21st, 2022, 6:41 pm
Cuthbert wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:28 pm The fact that there may have been a couple of posters who got off on how many "likes" they got, is a red herring. It doesn't diminish the value of the "like" button for users of the button.
My record for LIKES in a single post was 17 at TCM. It was a dry comment targeting the infamous "enfant terrible."

MissWonderly3 (Where are you, BTW?) posted something about Asta that garnered 23 likes.

I don't keep track, but TCM published the list (that I visited maybe two or three times in all the years). The highest was was well into the 20s.

For the record, I don't think that I have experienced any orgiastic dances of enthusiasm.

:smiley_happygroup:
You should do your orgiastic dance of enthusiasm. I've always thought of you as a Maenad!
No, despite my occasional extravagance, I am more a Hermes fan. But if I were a young hot thing I would most assiduously vie for a place in heart of that orgiastic God-dy to which you indirectly refer.
And besides I could never be Maenad. After all you have to be female for that. And I am not.
Avatar: "Hitchcock House"

I know there are people in the world who DO NOT LOVE their fellow human beings and I HATE people like that." --Tom Lehrer
Post Reply