Hey!

Here's a spot to say "Hello!"
Nick

Hey!

Post by Nick »

Hey, everybody. I’m Nick, a guy from Sweden. Since English isn’t my first language, beware of numerous grammatical errors on my behalf.
I can’t believe I’m actually posting here...You see, until I was 19, I never watched old films. I automatically rejected black and white films because...well they lacked colours, lol. So what made me change opinions?

That very same year, a highly famous classic star passed away. Naturally, she gained a lot of media attention and thus my attention. I sort of knew who she was, but I did some googling, saw that she was attractive when young and I ended up at Youtube.

I noticed a clip of What’s My Line in which the star appears. So I watched it, reluctantly admitted that it was funny and looked for some more videos. I was hooked! My disdain for colorless media slowly waned by watching one movie after another. Both lame ones (The Terror of Tiny Town) and awesome ones (Rope).

In addition to just watching old films, I wanted to discuss and learn more about them from other people. I looked for some forums, I couldn’t find any good ones until the end of the same year (2011). That’s when I found this site, Silver Screen Oasis. I thought ”cool, I’ll just go and register, then”.

Unfortunately, my account was never activated and I couldn’t get a hold of any of the admins. I assumed that this site was only for classics experts/elitists and moved on. So 2012 became yet another forum-less year, but instead I started gaining more and more knowledge about the stars and movies on my own.

This year, I finally joined two classic forums and one of them happened to be Nitrateville.com (although that one seems to be more techincal-oriented and I barely go there). Guess what? Fate must’ve wanted me to join SSO all along, because suddenly I come across Miss Lynn! Thanks to her, I finally managed to register and here I am, after 18 months of waiting! :)

It might be good to point out that I haven’t ”turned the tables” by hating contemporary films instead. Good movies are timeless; you can find cool stuff from every era.

By the way, if you’re curious to see the full list of films I’ve seen (about 100), check this out from the other forum I’m in (which is A LOT smaller, and not very active nowadays. But it’s still a nice place)---> http://film-classics.com/forum/viewtopi ... =51&t=1500

And finally... I was born in 1991, and yes, the star I was talking about was Liz Taylor.

Thanks for reading this extremely long text! 8)
Last edited by Nick on June 14th, 2013, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Hey!

Post by moira finnie »

Welcome, Nick!

I am so sorry that you had difficulty registering and posting, but I am so glad that you're here now. You'll find that we have several members from outside the United States, including Australia, the UK, France, Chile and more--including a member who was from Sweden, Synnove, who has not been active in some time (alas, but life leads us away and sometimes back here at times!).

Please don't worry too much about English grammar or syntax. From your message, you appear to be able to communicate your thoughts very deftly in English--and happily, this is not the kind of site where we waste time critiquing each other's language skills. What really counts is friendliness and a love of cinema--especially classic movies. And yes, Elizabeth Taylor could be enchanting, couldn't she? I am looking forward to your sharing your views on all kinds of movies soon.

If you need any help or have any questions about the site, please feel free to post about it if you'd like. I think you'll find our members very friendly and helpful. Of course, you are also welcome to send any of the admins a private message too if anything is needed.

Here are the screen names of the Admins:
Lzcutter - Lynn
Movieman1957 - Chris
SueSueApplegate - Christy
kingrat - David (though David is going away later this month)
moirafinnie - Moira (that's me)
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Nick,

Welcome to our Oasis! So glad we got the registration part worked out and you can now join in our conversation!

Looking forward to reading more from you!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Nick,

Welcome to our humble OASIS ... and I will be looking forward hearing you soon ...

Happy to have you aboard!!!

:)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Hi Nick:

Thanks for sticking it out and coming on board. I hope you have fun.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Welcome to the family, Nick! Hope you find it was worth the wait!

Knitwit (Nancy)
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Nick

Post by Nick »

Nice to meet you guys. 8)
I just have one little request...could I get my username changed to Nick (with a capital n)? Thanks.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

welcome, Nick! may i ask if you've seen any of Miss Taylor's films yet? if not, i highly recommend suddenly, last summer (it's even in black-and-white). :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Thank you for a well written introduction, Nick. Your use of the language is better than most Americans!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Nick wrote:Nice to meet you guys. 8)
I just have one little request...could I get my username changed to Nick (with a capital n)? Thanks.
All set Nick!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Welcome, Nick!

Sandy K
Nick

Post by Nick »

moirafinnie wrote:From your message, you appear to be able to communicate your thoughts very deftly in English
RedRiver wrote:Thank you for a well written introduction, Nick. Your use of the language is better than most Americans!
Thanks, but I always put extra effort into introductions...so it will only go downhill from here. :mrgreen:
MissGoddess wrote:welcome, Nick! may i ask if you've seen any of Miss Taylor's films yet? if not, i highly recommend suddenly, last summer (it's even in black-and-white). :D
Nope, I've never seen any of her films. However, I watched National Velvet for about 5 minutes until I found out that it was a horse film. Turned off the movie immediately, lol. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out someday.
........................................................................................................................
Lzcutter, Rita Hayworth, movieman1957, knitwit45, sandykaypax: Merci pour les welcomes.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I watched National Velvet for about 5 minutes until I found out that it was a horse film

You'll want to avoid an American TV show called MISTER ED!

Ms. Taylor and her husband are in a fine production of WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOLF. Probably the best acting you'll see by either one of them. She's glamorous in the disturbing BUTTERFIELD 8. And of course, there's A PLACE IN THE SUN. A dark and tragic love story that haunts the viewer. For an unfortunate piece of film history, we have 1963's CLEOPATRA. A huge, gaudy mess of a movie. But it made her a legend. Whatever...

Some would say Elizabeth Taylor was the most beautiful woman in the world at one time. Some would have a good point!
Nick

Post by Nick »

RedRiver wrote:I watched National Velvet for about 5 minutes until I found out that it was a horse film

You'll want to avoid an American TV show called MISTER ED!

Ms. Taylor and her husband are in a fine production of WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOLF. Probably the best acting you'll see by either one of them. She's glamorous in the disturbing BUTTERFIELD 8. And of course, there's A PLACE IN THE SUN. A dark and tragic love story that haunts the viewer. For an unfortunate piece of film history, we have 1963's CLEOPATRA. A huge, gaudy mess of a movie. But it made her a legend. Whatever...

Some would say Elizabeth Taylor was the most beautiful woman in the world at one time. Some would have a good point!
On second thought, animal films/tv-shows are watchable IF it's not too sentimental (which animal films often are). And Alan Young is part of my childhood (through DuckTales), so...

About Cleopatra, it failed at the box-office, didn't it? I think people were starting to get tired of all these big-budget epic movies that were popular throughout the 50's and early 60's: The Ten Commandments, Ben-Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, Spartacus, etc.