Familiar faces, new forum

Here's a spot to say "Hello!"
txfilmfan

Re: Familiar faces, new forum

Post by txfilmfan »

Cuthbert wrote: December 12th, 2022, 6:26 pm I have a little trouble navigating here. For example, if I post something that's in one of the "Recent Topics" section, I find that I can't locate the thread easily later, because I don't remember (or didn't notice) what topic it was in.

This is a good, but very "busy" board. I LIKE it, and am grateful for its existence, but I think it could be made leaner, which would make navigation easier. For example, is it necessary to have all the moderators listed in red for every thread? Once would be enough. Over busy design does affect ease of navigation.

One aspect of this board that I like very much is the ability to revive some threads that have been dormant for years. Continuity of community is important to me, and of course the subjects are interesting.
I agree that the bold red text draws your eyes to it and overwhelms the rest of the text. The real problem is that the list of moderators is usually much longer than the rest of the text.

Re: not being able to find your own posts, you can always do that by visiting your own profile. Pull down on your username and select User Control Panel. It should take you to the "Front Page" From there, just click on the "Show your posts" link. There's also an option to do so via the "Quick Links" menu.
Last edited by txfilmfan on December 12th, 2022, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Re: not being able to find your own posts, you can always do that by visiting your own profile. Pull down on your username and select User Control Panel. It should take you to the "Front Page" From there, just click on the "Show your posts" link
[/quote]

That's what I do, but it's way too cumbersome. Btw, txfilmfan, thanks for that recommendation you gave me recently!
laffite

Post by laffite »

Cuthbert wrote: December 12th, 2022, 6:26 pm I have a little trouble navigating here. For example, if I post something that's in one of the "Recent Topics" section, I find that I can't locate the thread easily later, because I don't remember (or didn't notice) what topic it was in.

This is a good, but very "busy" board. I LIKE it, and am grateful for its existence, but I think it could be made leaner, which would make navigation easier. For example, is it necessary to have all the moderators listed in red for every thread? Once would be enough. Over busy design does affect ease of navigation.

One aspect of this board that I like very much is the ability to revive some threads that have been dormant for years. Continuity of community is important to me, and of course the subjects are interesting.
The Thread is identified for each post in the Recent Topics, for instance this one is 'Registration and Rules, Welcome New Members." Does that help at all?
Catherine Deneuve in The Murri Affaire
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

[/quote]

The Thread is identified for each post in the Recent Topics, for instance this one is 'Registration and Rules, Welcome New Members." Does that help at all?
[/quote]

I think my problem is unfamiliarity with the "Recent Topics" section. It's a good concept and will just take some getting used to.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Cuthbert wrote: December 12th, 2022, 7:07 pm Re: not being able to find your own posts, you can always do that by visiting your own profile. Pull down on your username and select User Control Panel. It should take you to the "Front Page" From there, just click on the "Show your posts" link
That's what I do, but it's way too cumbersome. Btw, txfilmfan, thanks for that recommendation you gave me recently!
[/quote]

You're welcome!
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

If you click on the link to your Profile,

you will go to a screen where there is a link to "Search user's posts." If you click on that link,

you go to screen where your posts are listed. From there you have the option to "Jump to post" to view the specific post.

Swithin

Post by Swithin »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:00 pm

you will go to a screen where there is a link to "Search user's posts." If you click on that link,

you go to screen where your posts are listed. From there you have the option to "Jump to post" to view the specific post.

Yes, I've been doing that. It's cumbersome though.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Cuthbert wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:26 pm

How did you locate your posts on the old TCM message boards?

For me, the steps I used there were similar to the ones I use here.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:56 pm

Well, I'm not talking about much older posts; rather I'm referring to posts I may have made when something was in the "Recent" section; then wanting to see what other comments may have been made in the thread, which may no longer reside in "Recent." In terms of really old stuff on TCM, I would do a search, limiting to whatever section I thought the thing might be in. The TCM search function was very good. So I'm not necessarily looking for my posts, just later posts in the same thread.

It will just take some getting used to, to become "acclimatized."
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Cuthbert wrote: December 12th, 2022, 9:05 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:56 pm

Well, I'm not talking about much older posts; rather I'm referring to posts I may have made when something was in the "Recent" section; then wanting to see what other comments may have been made in the thread, which may no longer reside in "Recent." In terms of really old stuff on TCM, I would do a search, limiting to whatever section I thought the thing might be in. The TCM search function was very good. So I'm not necessarily looking for my posts, just later posts in the same thread.

It will just take some getting used to, to become "acclimatized."
I think I see what you're asking now.
You want to see more topics than just the 5 or so that are displayed under Recent Topics.

On Quick Links, there is selection called "Active Topics."
If you click on that link, the list of topics is greatly expanded.

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LostHorizons wrote: December 12th, 2022, 6:51 pm
Hibi wrote: December 12th, 2022, 4:57 pm Judging from the traffic on ClassicFilmTvRadio (38 members online in the last 24 hrs) it seems to be putting SSO to shame. WHAT happened? We have 9 members listed!
Most of those are the game and trivia boards though and those posts require little effort, just a one or two word title. Their version of the General Discussions usually says “last poster: 8 hours ago” every time I check.

Tl;Dr- the numbers are inflated because most of the games and trivia posters went there.
That's good to know! :D
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

There is an active topics link at the top of the forum under "quick links". I have made that my bookmark for this site because it puts all of that at the top.

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/sea ... ive_topics

I agree there are an awful lot of different subforums, but I don't see a practical way to combine them as they all seem to serve a specific genre or purpose.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I have increased the "recent topics" section to display 25 instead of 5 of the most recent topics. That should help as well. Right now I'm looking to see if there's a way to not show the moderators at the top of every post/forum.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Lomm wrote: December 13th, 2022, 10:25 amRight now I'm looking to see if there's a way to not show the moderators at the top of every post/forum.
And they're off. :)
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

ALSO...I enabled multiple pages of the "recent topics" feature...meaning that you won't have to dig into the separate forums to see the past several days of recent topics. I think this is basically the same as going to "active topics" through the menu, so that's not really necessary now. I hope this makes things easier to navigate around here now!