How to Post a Youtube video

Having problems? Get help here.
moira finnie
Administrator

How to Post a Youtube video

Post by moira finnie »

Here's how to post a youtube video on this site:

1.) Find the URL of the video that you would like to post. You may find that the URL has a long playlist tag on the end or a you.tube in the middle of that word in the URL. When that occurs it is best to take the title of the video and enter it into the youtube search spot and find the root URL that way. Generally, the SSO will only recognize and post correctly the simplest root URL (though there are a few exceptions).

2.) Copy & paste the youtube URL into the message you are creating.

3.) Highlight the URL using your mouse or keyboard.

4.) Click on the bar marked youtube above your message space that appears when you "Post a New Topic" or "Reply to this Topic."

5.) Click on Preview and see if things look okay to you, and then hit Submit when you are ready to post.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Re: How to Post a Youtube video

Post by knitwit45 »

Moira, is there a way to post videos from other sites, besides just showing a link?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

knitwit45 wrote:Moira, is there a way to post videos from other sites, besides just showing a link?
Alas, no, not yet, Knitty. I am hoping that the future will allow more choices. I would also like more video sites to be compatible with our current software, but this is what we have for now. Thanks for making me realize that I am not the only member who occasionally feels a bit frustrated with limited options.

Btw, I believe that some video sharing sites, (such as Daily Motion) make it easy to post videos on Facebook, so I guess we could see the glass as half-full on the SSO Facebook page. For the moment, we will still have to post links on this site.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Oh, M., no frustration here! Just wondered if we could make it easier to view videos from other sites...This place is my 'home' on the net, it's a pleasure to come here every day and hang out. I might not say anything, but I'm the best lurker you'll find around here!

thanks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Moira, did anyone ever figure out how to post youtube videos here after their so called upgrade? I can no longer access the long url, so when I try to post, it simply shows up as a link.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

knitwit45 wrote:Moira, did anyone ever figure out how to post youtube videos here after their so called upgrade? I can no longer access the long url, so when I try to post, it simply shows up as a link.
Hi Nan,
If you are referring to youtube links that begin with https: on youtube (rather than the usual http:) , they can only be used as links here. If you are wondering about links that have that yo dot utube smack in the middle of the web address, you can usually find a straight-forward youtube address for the same video without the dot in the middle by doing a search on youtube for a video with the exact same name of the one that you are attempting to post here. That should bring up a usable, easily posted youtube address that can be posted here as a video.

If this is not what you are referring to, could you please post an example of what you mean? Thank you.

As always, a youtube address for a video you wish to share here can be copied, pasted into a Post a Reply or Post a Topic screen on the SSO. Then you would highlight that address and click on the youtube bar that appears above the message box on the far right, next to the "s" (for strike through) and then click Preview. If your youtube video appears within the message you are planning on posting, you can then click on Submit and others should be able to view the video here too. Depending on the browser you are using to view the SSO (IE, Firefox, Chrome, etc.) you may need to periodically upgrade your flash video player and java software to facilitate video viewing online too. The info about how to do this on your computer and with your particular browser can usually be found under Tools or via a Google search using the search terms video, Flash Player, etc.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

thanks, o great one!!!! :D I tried to post a link that had the dot.youtube thingy in the middle, I will go back and search for a better one. and update my flash player, too!

Nancy

haven't seen much of you, everything ok in your chilly corner of the world??? :wink:

well, there doesn't seem to be a usable video, I wanted to post Tickety Boo for Christy on the Danny Kaye thread...
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Knitwit45, an example may help to illustrate how we can work this. I'll include a shameless plug for one of my own videos in the process. :P

Let's say you want to embed this video:

[youtube][/youtube]

So, when you go to its page on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZmru-LXVqA
. . .and click Share, this is the address that comes up:
http://youtu.be/HZmru-LXVqA
. . .which as you know does not work with the Youtube embedding feature here on the SSO board.

So, instead, go up to the Address field at the top of your browser window, highlight that address, copy it, and paste it here.
That address should work here, most of the time.

One exception is if you originally link to the video from a web site other than Youtube, where the video is embedded. In that case the address would look like this, and would not work here:

Code: Select all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HZmru-LXVqA
But you can transform that address into one that will work here by removing the extra syntax from the referring site, like this:

1) BAD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?[b]feature=player_embedded&[/b]v=HZmru-LXVqA
2) GOOD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZmru-LXVqA
. . .by deleting all the text within the bolding tags in #1 above.

Another exception is if you had linked from one video to another by using the "suggestions" that Youtube will display when a video finishes playing. In this case the address will look something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp6BkXQDboo&feature=endscreen
. . .and you just need to remove the "&feature=endscreen" from the end of the address.

Let me know if any of this does not make sense.
Cheers.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

THANKS!!! I'll try it again... ooo, that video of Ms Aggie looks terrific! I'll be back to watch it!!!!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

woo hoo!!! it worked!!! thanks again PT (and Moira)