"If I was going to be broke I decided I might as well be with actors as anyone else. They were cheerful idiots and seemed to take it better." - Peter Finch

Looking for recommendations for good movie reads

Read any good books lately?

Moderators: moira finnie, Lzcutter, Sue Sue Applegate, movieman1957

Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: Looking for recommendations for good movie reads

Postby Lzcutter » May 26th, 2014, 12:45 pm

I'm reading Mark Harris' new book, Five Came Back: Hollywood and the Second World War about the five directors (John Ford, Frank Capra, John Huston, William Wyler and George Stevens) who enlisted in the war. The book also covers what was going on in Hollywood at the time as well.

So far a fascinating read.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

kingrat

Re: Looking for recommendations for good movie reads

Postby kingrat » May 27th, 2014, 1:09 pm

I really enjoyed Five Came Back. George Stevens has the most interesting story. No wonder he came back a changed man.

I also enjoyed Matthew Kennedy's Roadshow! After his visit here, I had to get the book, which examines the attempt of various studios to find their own roadshow hit musical like The Sound of Music, with a few mini-successes and quite a few disasters. This book is a perfect companion to Mark Harris' earlier book, Pictures at a Revolution. Together, they give a clear picture of the studio era at its very end.

One of the amusing sidelights is that Ross Hunter sent rushes from Thoroughly Modern Millie in an attempt to help Carol Channing land her Broadway role of Dolly Levi in Hello, Dolly! Instead, the producers felt that no one could possibly stand her over-the-top style for an entire movie.

Return to “Classic Film Literature”