Vintage Movie Magazines Online

Read any good books lately?
ChiO

Re: Vintage Movie Magazines Online

Post by ChiO »

Thank you, Moira!

There was something about the last row, middle, that drew my attention. 1941 was such a great year. Then I did a search for "John Alton" and -- oh, my -- several references from the '30s when he was helping establish the movie industry in Argentina and working for Paramount in Europe.

Yes, I bookmarked the site.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

moirafinnie wrote:Great news! A vast array of more of the 20th century's periodicals related to motion pictures have recently been gathered and made readily searchable by a group called Lantern who have expanded access to the holdings of The Media History Digital Library and the University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Communication Arts..

You can see more about Lantern here:
http://lantern.mediahist.org/
I've finally checked this out -- what a great search engine/front end system! I believe all or most of the publications are housed at the Internet Archive, and this makes it so simple to find articles on one's favorite subject. :D :D Thank you! 8)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

It was a pleasure to share this news, PT.

One warning: so many people have been logging onto the Lantern site since this was announced publicly, there have been reports of outages when the site went down due to heavy traffic a few times. I haven't encountered any issues myself...unless you count the overwhelming desire to forget everything and spend hours on end poring over this fascinating and arcane cinema history in these original sources.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Moira, you wouldn't believe what I used to do, to look for features and news items on my favorite subject. I would download OTR publications that had been digitized and made available online, one at a time, then search through them manually. When I was lucky, the file was in text format so I could search for key words; when I was unlucky the file was in image format and I would visually inspect each page. I found some good items that way, but I don't think I could bring myself to go through it again. :o This is a breeze, a snap -- the job's a game*. :D :P :D

*A reference to Mary Poppins.
Erika1712

Post by Erika1712 »

-