The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters.

Pictures at a Revolution

Read any good books lately?

Moderators: Sue Sue Applegate, movieman1957, moira finnie, Lzcutter

kingrat

Pictures at a Revolution

Postby kingrat » April 6th, 2010, 11:57 am

Lzcutter recommended that I check out Mark Harris' Pictures at a Revolution, which I absolutely loved. Harris examines the five films nominated for Best Picture in 1967, the year that announced big changes in the movie industry: Bonnie and Clyde, The Graduate, In the Heat of the Night, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, and Doctor Dolittle. Harris did extensive research and interviewed many of those involved with the making of the films. His writing couldn't be more graceful or more accessible. He doesn't condescend or take cheap shots, and you won't find a fairer or more generous treatment of Stanley Kramer. He explains the reasons (and there truly were reasons) why some executives believed that a three-hour musical made from a series of children's books would be a surefire winner.

Did you know that Tuesday Weld turned down the role of Bonnie? That one possibility for Bonnie and Clyde involved Terence Stamp and Alexandra Stewart directed by Jean-Luc Godard? Or that George Stevens was another director whom Warren Beatty considered for B&C? That Gene Hackman was cast as Anne Bancroft's husband in The Graduate but was fired on the set? If this moment of tectonic shift in Hollywood or the films and filmmakers involved interest you, you'll like Pictures at a Revolution.

MikeBSG

Re: Pictures at a Revolution

Postby MikeBSG » April 11th, 2010, 1:01 pm

I enjoyed "Pictures at a Revolution," and I agree with you about the virtues of the book.

Still, by the time I finished it, I was of the opinion that "the revolution" had as much to do with the Bond movies, Sergio Leone's "Dollar" trilogy, and "The Dirty Dozen" as with "The Graduate" and "Bonnie and Clyde."

It was fascinating to read about "Dr. Doolittle." I never saw the movie, but I had the pop-up book and an "Alvin and the Chipmunks" record of the songs from that movie.

Return to “Classic Film Literature”