Noir Alley

kingrat

Re: Noir Alley

Post by kingrat »

I enjoyed seeing Ray Collins and Marjorie Rambeau, but BAD FOR EACH OTHER is in many ways just a remake of THE CITADEL, with the scene moved to Pennsylvania. The set design was very good, however. I don't have any great desire to see this again.
Andree

Post by Andree »

This thing was about as noir as White Christmas. And the Memorial Day angle
was just as unconvincing. Just the usual poor boy is tempted away from his smelly,
poor, coal town roots and gets a taste of the good life before realizing he really
belongs where he came from. Ho hum. A rather pedestrian take on a well-worn
story. It was funny to see the two docs get out of surgery and immediately light
up cigs. They're good for your lungs. And that ending. After Heston leaves Liz he
comes across the mine collapse. Sadly Franz, the pretty nurse's boyfriend dies
and Heston is left to comfort her. Yeah, never saw that coming.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
laffite

Post by laffite »

I agree that Lizabeth Scott not seeming much of a femme fatale and so much so that she was miscast. I haven't seen all her films but she comes across better as a "nicer" girl such as she was in the Martha Ivers movie. Heston doesn't seem right and saying that in retrospect because we knew he would become, as Eddie says, a larger-than-life type character, but even at the time he doesn't seem like the best choice. There is something seedy in his decision to quit the Army and for Gleeson (?) and that is not Charlie, let's face it. I like the beginning where the issue was his brother and his bad doings and I wish that would have stayed at the forefront, to find out what really happened there. But that's not the story, it seemed to serve to show that Heston owed money and wanted to pay it back. The whole story is stiff. Rita, the drunk, is cut off and she throws a minor hissy fit and later she tried to commit suicide, but in between those two scenes, we see her in the background crossing the screen in the background looking totally sober and quite happy. Not important, I know, just amusing. If I have anything grossly incorrect about the above, it might because I couldn't make it to the end. My patience just gave out.
Anna Karenina (2012)
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Depending on how one defines a noir film, Lizabeth Scott was in 9 noir films (and Bad for Each Other is NOT one of them), and was a femme fatale in only 2:

Strange Loves of Martha Ivers - No
Dead Reckoning - Yes
Desert Fury - No
I Walk Alone - No
Pitfall - No
Too Late for Tears - Yes
Dark Corner - No
Two of a Kind - No (but borderline).
The Racket - No
jamesjazzguitar

Looks like Tomorrow is Another Day is the Noir Alley feature (Saturday, midnight and again Sunday at 10:00 AM EDT).

The first-rate noir, Gun Crazy is being shown Saturday, at 9:45 PM EDT, and Cast a Dark Shadow, a British mystery\thriller, Sunday at 8:30 AM EDT.

I like Tomorrow is Another Day with Steve Cochran and Ruth Roman. This is a 1951 Warner Bros. film. While lacking action the chemistry between the two stars is good.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: May 29th, 2024, 1:12 pm Looks like Tomorrow is Another Day is the Noir Alley feature (Saturday, midnight and again Sunday at 10:00 AM EDT).

The first-rate noir, Gun Crazy is being shown Saturday, at 9:45 PM EDT, and Cast a Dark Shadow, a British mystery\thriller, Sunday at 8:30 AM EDT.

I like Tomorrow is Another Day with Steve Cochran and Ruth Roman. This is a 1951 Warner Bros. film. While lacking action the chemistry between the two stars is good.
Don't recall having seen Tomorrow is Another Day, but the Wikipedia description sounds interesting enough that I will probably watch it.
As for Gun Crazy, never cared for it. Don't think it is the story as much as it is a dislike for John Dall and the Peggy Cummins character, especially Dall. Cummins was OK in Night of the Demon, but not a critical role.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
jamesjazzguitar

ElCid wrote: May 30th, 2024, 5:26 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: May 29th, 2024, 1:12 pm Looks like Tomorrow is Another Day is the Noir Alley feature (Saturday, midnight and again Sunday at 10:00 AM EDT).

Don't recall having seen Tomorrow is Another Day, but the Wikipedia description sounds interesting enough that I will probably watch it.
As for Gun Crazy, never cared for it. Don't think it is the story as much as it is a dislike for John Dall and the Peggy Cummins character, especially Dall. Cummins was OK in Night of the Demon, but not a critical role.
My guess is that you'll enjoy Tomorrow is Another Day. Cochran is a little more mellow than he was in other similar type roles, but he still has that edge and chip on his shoulders screen persona that, IMO, worked well for him. At the start Roman is a blonde but goes back to her natural hair (which is a better look for her). She helps keep the film grounded. The film also features Ray Teal: that guy was in more noir films than any other actor based on the book Film Noir (Ward \ Silver). Often a lawman, here Teal has a larger role as the guy who gives the couple on the run a break.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

There's a fine scene fairly early in the film where Cochran and Roman, on the run, try to hide in a long trailer hauling several new cars. You may want to rewind this and watch again.
laffite

Post by laffite »

I like Ray Teal. I saw him first in a small role as a private detective in Carrie (1952). He tracks down Olivier as the latter is on the run with his lady love. Ray is nothing less than formidable in the role. I would shudder to think to meet someone like him in real life and in a situation as that. What small screen time he had was enough to make a fan of me.
Anna Karenina (2012)
C*i*g*a*rTheJoe

Post by C*i*g*a*rTheJoe »

Noir we never seen: Un témoin dans la ville aka A Witness In the City (1959)

Last edited by C*i*g*a*rTheJoe on May 31st, 2024, 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
C*i*g*a*rTheJoe

Post by C*i*g*a*rTheJoe »

More Noir we've never seen (for ElCid ;-)) Czwowiek na torze aka Man on the Tracks (1957) :
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

Joe, I have also heard rave reviews for the French noir Une si jolie petite plage (Such a Pretty Little Beach).
jamesjazzguitar

kingrat wrote: May 30th, 2024, 7:54 pm There's a fine scene fairly early in the film where Cochran and Roman, on the run, try to hide in a long trailer hauling several new cars. You may want to rewind this and watch again.
Yea, that is one first rate action scene that adds suspense to this couple on the run film.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

On June 4 TCM is showing The Velvet Touch, which is more noirish than Bad for Each Other or several of the films Eddie has shown lately. Rosalind Russell plays a famous actress who's a Margo Channing type. A murder occurs. Maybe TCM could do an evening with The Velvet Touch, A Double Life, Repeat Performance, 99 River Street (where the theater aspect isn't as central), Quai des Orfèvres.
Andree

Post by Andree »

I've seen TIAD a few times before. It's pretty good. Kind of a noir road trip flick with
a minor Grapes of Wrath vibe toward the end. Ruth Roman is pretty sexy and
IIRC, Steve Cochran doesn't wear his usual pinstripe suit.

CADS is also first rate, though I won't be getting up that early Sunday morning. I've
seen it before a number of times. Very atmospheric and Bogarde is fine as Teddy
Bare, the lazy lay about who lives off women and murders his elderly wife. When
he finds her will didn't give him what he wanted he goes on the lookout for another
female meal ticket and meets Lockwood. She is a down to earth type, keeping her
eye on the pounds and pence. Teddy has met his match. It's fun watching the
two of them circling around each other. At the end it's Dickie who comes a cropper.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky