Noir Alley on TCM

User avatar
EP Millstone
Posts: 619
Joined: October 20th, 2022, 9:40 am
Location: The Western Hemisphere

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by EP Millstone »

laffite wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 3:05 pm You mean like the bottomless pit of I JUST WATCHED(?). If that's the proper parallel I agree completely. Those fine reviews are virtually lost in a maelstrom of forgetfulness, a Lethe in a message board.
EXACTLY!

IMO, subtopics specifically devoted to Noir Alley broadcasts would make those broadcasts easier to find in the vast SSO repository!

Thanks for the introduction to "Lethe"!
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
User avatar
jamesjazzguitar
Posts: 152
Joined: November 14th, 2022, 2:43 pm

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

EP Millstone wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 4:26 pm
laffite wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 3:05 pm You mean like the bottomless pit of I JUST WATCHED(?). If that's the proper parallel I agree completely. Those fine reviews are virtually lost in a maelstrom of forgetfulness, a Lethe in a message board.
EXACTLY!

IMO, subtopics specifically devoted to Noir Alley broadcasts would make those broadcasts easier to find in the vast SSO repository!

Thanks for the introduction to "Lethe"!
I always use the unread-post option. If one selects game-and-trivia and uses the "mark all post read" option there are only around 25 or so unread post (new post), at the start of any given day. After that there are of course less and less unread\new post as the day goes on (well at least here on the West coast). I read the unread post that interest me (using the take-one-to-the-last-unread post feature), and then "mark all post read" for the ones I'm not interested in.

I do the above at this site since the set-up makes it harder to find new post (at TCM most were within General Discussions, while here they are in all different types of sub-forums).
User avatar
EP Millstone
Posts: 619
Joined: October 20th, 2022, 9:40 am
Location: The Western Hemisphere

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by EP Millstone »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 7:22 pm I do the above at this site since the set-up makes it harder to find new post (at TCM most were within General Discussions, while here they are in all different types of sub-forums).
I disagree! I like the organization of the SSO.

My major gripe about The TCM Message Boards was that the majority of members posted in General Discussions instead of in genre forums . . . which, IMO, should be the main focus of a movie forum.

Always seemed to me that many -- waaaaayy too many, IMO -- TCM Message Board members wanted to discuss anything and everything except movies.

I know that the alibi of some TCM Message Board members for posting in General Discussions was because it was the forum that got the most action. But, I regarded that argument as "circular logic" that perpetuated the, IMO, problem: "Nobody" posts in genre forums because "everybody" posts in General Discussions. Everybody posts in General Discussions because nobody posts in genre forums.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
User avatar
ElCid
Posts: 156
Joined: December 2nd, 2022, 12:41 pm
Location: Northwest South Carolina

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by ElCid »

EP Millstone wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 7:39 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 7:22 pm I do the above at this site since the set-up makes it harder to find new post (at TCM most were within General Discussions, while here they are in all different types of sub-forums).
I disagree! I like the organization of the SSO.

My major gripe about The TCM Message Boards was that the majority of members posted in General Discussions instead of in genre forums . . . which, IMO, should be the main focus of a movie forum.

Always seemed to me that many -- waaaaayy too many, IMO -- TCM Message Board members wanted to discuss anything and everything except movies.

I know that the alibi of some TCM Message Board members for posting in General Discussions was because it was the forum that got the most action. But, I regarded that argument as "circular logic" that perpetuated the, IMO, problem: "Nobody" posts in genre forums because "everybody" posts in General Discussions. Everybody posts in General Discussions because nobody posts in genre forums.
See, SSO needs a disagree or dislike button. :lol:
And I disagree with your "logic" on how the General Discussion vs. Genre forums on TCM was used.
Last edited by ElCid on January 24th, 2023, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
User avatar
jamesjazzguitar
Posts: 152
Joined: November 14th, 2022, 2:43 pm

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

EP Millstone wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 7:39 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 7:22 pm I do the above at this site since the set-up makes it harder to find new post (at TCM most were within General Discussions, while here they are in all different types of sub-forums).
I disagree! I like the organization of the SSO.

My major gripe about The TCM Message Boards was that the majority of members posted in General Discussions instead of in genre forums . . . which, IMO, should be the main focus of a movie forum.

Always seemed to me that many -- waaaaayy too many, IMO -- TCM Message Board members wanted to discuss anything and everything except movies.

I know that the alibi of some TCM Message Board members for posting in General Discussions was because it was the forum that got the most action. But, I regarded that argument as "circular logic" that perpetuated the, IMO, problem: "Nobody" posts in genre forums because "everybody" posts in General Discussions. Everybody posts in General Discussions because nobody posts in genre forums.
You're the one that wrote "would make those broadcasts easier to find in the vast SSO repository". Using the unread function makes it easier to find post in the "vast SSO repository". I should have never mentioned the TCM site, since my point was how to use the unread function at this site.

Oh well, continue to hunt-and-peck away!

PS: This morning (PST), there were only 11 unread post (excluding those under games-and-trivia). Thus it was easy to see all the new-post since last night. No need to go to various sub-forums. The unread post feature is listed under quick-links.
User avatar
ElCid
Posts: 156
Joined: December 2nd, 2022, 12:41 pm
Location: Northwest South Carolina

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by ElCid »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 24th, 2023, 10:48 am
EP Millstone wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 7:39 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 7:22 pm I do the above at this site since the set-up makes it harder to find new post (at TCM most were within General Discussions, while here they are in all different types of sub-forums).
I disagree! I like the organization of the SSO.

My major gripe about The TCM Message Boards was that the majority of members posted in General Discussions instead of in genre forums . . . which, IMO, should be the main focus of a movie forum.

Always seemed to me that many -- waaaaayy too many, IMO -- TCM Message Board members wanted to discuss anything and everything except movies.

I know that the alibi of some TCM Message Board members for posting in General Discussions was because it was the forum that got the most action. But, I regarded that argument as "circular logic" that perpetuated the, IMO, problem: "Nobody" posts in genre forums because "everybody" posts in General Discussions. Everybody posts in General Discussions because nobody posts in genre forums.
You're the one that wrote "would make those broadcasts easier to find in the vast SSO repository". Using the unread function makes it easier to find post in the "vast SSO repository". I should have never mentioned the TCM site, since my point was how to use the unread function at this site.

Oh well, continue to hunt-and-peck away!

PS: This morning (PST), there were only 11 unread post (excluding those under games-and-trivia). Thus it was easy to see all the new-post since last night. No need to go to various sub-forums. The unread post feature is listed under quick-links.
Since none of the above has anything to do with Noir Alley, perhaps you guys should start a thread to discuss this issue?
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
User avatar
jamesjazzguitar
Posts: 152
Joined: November 14th, 2022, 2:43 pm

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

ElCid wrote: January 24th, 2023, 8:53 am
EP Millstone wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 7:39 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 7:22 pm I do the above at this site since the set-up makes it harder to find new post (at TCM most were within General Discussions, while here they are in all different types of sub-forums).
I disagree! I like the organization of the SSO.

My major gripe about The TCM Message Boards was that the majority of members posted in General Discussions instead of in genre forums . . . which, IMO, should be the main focus of a movie forum.

Always seemed to me that many -- waaaaayy too many, IMO -- TCM Message Board members wanted to discuss anything and everything except movies.

I know that the alibi of some TCM Message Board members for posting in General Discussions was because it was the forum that got the most action. But, I regarded that argument as "circular logic" that perpetuated the, IMO, problem: "Nobody" posts in genre forums because "everybody" posts in General Discussions. Everybody posts in General Discussions because nobody posts in genre forums.
See, SSO needs a disagree or dislike button. :lol:
And I disagree with your "logic" on how the General Discussion vs. Genre forums on TCM was used.
Since none of the above has anything to do with Noir Alley, perhaps you guys should start a thread to discuss this issue?
User avatar
EP Millstone
Posts: 619
Joined: October 20th, 2022, 9:40 am
Location: The Western Hemisphere

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by EP Millstone »

ElCid wrote: January 24th, 2023, 11:09 am Since none of the above has anything to do with Noir Alley, perhaps you guys should start a thread to discuss this issue?
jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 24th, 2023, 1:07 pm Since none of the above has anything to do with Noir Alley, perhaps you guys should start a thread to discuss this issue?
Image

Now, now, Children!
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
User avatar
ElCid
Posts: 156
Joined: December 2nd, 2022, 12:41 pm
Location: Northwest South Carolina

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by ElCid »

EP Millstone wrote: January 24th, 2023, 2:38 pm
ElCid wrote: January 24th, 2023, 11:09 am Since none of the above has anything to do with Noir Alley, perhaps you guys should start a thread to discuss this issue?
jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 24th, 2023, 1:07 pm Since none of the above has anything to do with Noir Alley, perhaps you guys should start a thread to discuss this issue?
Image

Now, now, Children!
:smiley_sick:
About what I would expect from you.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
User avatar
EP Millstone
Posts: 619
Joined: October 20th, 2022, 9:40 am
Location: The Western Hemisphere

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by EP Millstone »

ElCid wrote: January 24th, 2023, 4:43 pm About what I would expect from you.
I'm glad you weren't disappointed! We aims to please!
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
User avatar
Hibi
Posts: 304
Joined: July 3rd, 2008, 1:22 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by Hibi »

Talk about posting in the wrong forum! LOL.
User avatar
jamesjazzguitar
Posts: 152
Joined: November 14th, 2022, 2:43 pm

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

EP Millstone wrote: January 24th, 2023, 6:17 pm
ElCid wrote: January 24th, 2023, 4:43 pm About what I would expect from you.
I'm glad you weren't disappointed! We aims to please!
I found the post funny so you pleased me. So keep it up.
User avatar
EP Millstone
Posts: 619
Joined: October 20th, 2022, 9:40 am
Location: The Western Hemisphere

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by EP Millstone »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 24th, 2023, 8:17 pm I found the post funny so you pleased me. So keep it up.
Oh, I shall! ElSod be damned. I feel it is my calling really -- almost a consecration -- to bring joy and light into the lives of others. It is a mission that I accept gladly, along with any monetary reward my fans care to bestow upon me (Just drop a bill -- or two -- in the cup, Brother!).

It's always gratifying and a thrill to be recognized and appreciated during one's lifetime, instead of receiving accolades via a spiritualist or Ouija board. So, thank YOU, JJG!
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
User avatar
ElCid
Posts: 156
Joined: December 2nd, 2022, 12:41 pm
Location: Northwest South Carolina

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by ElCid »

EP Millstone wrote: January 24th, 2023, 9:27 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 24th, 2023, 8:17 pm I found the post funny so you pleased me. So keep it up.
Oh, I shall! ElSod be damned. I feel it is my calling really -- almost a consecration -- to bring joy and light into the lives of others. It is a mission that I accept gladly, along with any monetary reward my fans care to bestow upon me (Just drop a bill -- or two -- in the cup, Brother!).

It's always gratifying and a thrill to be recognized and appreciated during one's lifetime, instead of receiving accolades via a spiritualist or Ouija board. So, thank YOU, JJG!
Well, y'all have succeeded. I have sent a request to the administrators to be removed from SSO.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
User avatar
TikiSoo
Posts: 157
Joined: March 9th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Upstate NY
Contact:

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by TikiSoo »

ElCid wrote: January 25th, 2023, 9:16 am Well, y'all have succeeded. I have sent a request to the administrators to be removed from SSO.
Not "y'all", just one troublemaker.
Post Reply