Noir Alley

Frank Galvin

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Frank Galvin »

Hello, starting fresh here so is there a way to combine the two Noir Alley threads?
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Frank Galvin wrote: February 27th, 2023, 4:46 pm Hello, starting fresh here so is there a way to combine the two Noir Alley threads?
We asked the mods to do that but it didn't happen. If we just use this-one the other one will wilt all on its own.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Noir Alley. Test. This is the thread to spout off on, right? Is there a noir movie scheduled any time soon, or what?
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Not until April is over. :(
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Thompson wrote: April 10th, 2023, 3:14 pm Noir Alley. Test. This is the thread to spout off on, right? Is there a noir movie scheduled any time soon, or what?
These are a few noirs on this week These are EST

Out of the Fog Tues 12:30 pm
Nora Prentiss Wed 6:15 am
White Heat Wed 8pm
They Drive By Night Thurs 9:45 am
Flamingo Road Fri 1:30 pm
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Less than 3 weeks till Noir Alley returns!!!! Anyone know what the offering is???
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hibi wrote: April 17th, 2023, 11:03 am Less than 3 weeks till Noir Alley returns!!!! Anyone know what the offering is???
THE FILE ON THELMA JORDON will be shown on Noir Alley on May 6th. 1950 film with Barbara Stanwyck.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: April 17th, 2023, 11:10 am
Hibi wrote: April 17th, 2023, 11:03 am Less than 3 weeks till Noir Alley returns!!!! Anyone know what the offering is???
THE FILE ON THELMA JORDON will be shown on Noir Alley on May 6th. 1950 film with Barbara Stanwyck.
Great. Thank you! Haven't seen that one in awhile, so looking forward to it.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

One week till Noir Alley returns!!! YIPPEE!!!
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

It’s about time. Setting the alarm. Let’s get rolling with with some film noir.
Hoganman1

Post by Hoganman1 »

Well, Eddie returned with a good one. We can always count on Barbara Stanwyck for a great performance.
MissWonderly

Post by MissWonderly »

I'd forgotten what exactly happens in The File on Thelma Jordan, it had been a while since I'd seen it. I did recall Barbara was "bad", or at least, not 100% "good". But of course, that's what makes her interesting.
That's something I really like about noir, "grey" characters who are neither virtuous nor evil.

SPOILERS I did think, however, that Thelma could easily have taken that emerald necklace out of the safe any time without her aunt's knowledge. How come she waited for a blustery night with the shutters banging ,waking the old lady up? She (Thelma) could have stolen that necklace any time on a calm night, or even, come to think of it, one of those days when the aunt is sitting outside drinking tea or whatever. She must have known the combination to the safe and everything. Easy peasy. But then, we wouldn't have had any murder, therefore, no dramatic story.

Poor old Wendell Corey. He had kind of a sad sack face, the kind of face that never gets the girl. (except for his wife of course...I like the ambiguity at the end, maybe she takes him back, maybe she doesn't. We don't know.)

One thing more...Although it was a very small role, I did notice Wendell's secretary, "Dollie". But I had no idea it was the same actress who'd played Farley Granger's obnoxious and ill-fated wife in Strangers on a Train. She looked completely different ! Thanks to Eddie for that tidbit of info.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

You're right on both counts, MissW - there's no reason for her to steal it when she did, and the only reason it's scripted that way is to make the drama.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

My knowledge of Film Noir is a big goose egg.
That said, I think it is the one thing that would kill off TCM's future if it ever went missing.
(Noir Alley that is).
Eddie is a better host than all the others combined.
My guess would be it isn't just reading cue cards for Eddie Muller.
I wish Eddie was on TCM more than just Noir Alley.
I look forward to seeing previews and the like for Noir Alley.
Not that anyone from TCM ever comes to this forum for clues BUT don't mess with Noir Alley.
Don't remove it from the schedule ever, unless Eddie says so.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

MissWonderly wrote: May 7th, 2023, 12:55 pm I'd forgotten what exactly happens in The File on Thelma Jordan, it had been a while since I'd seen it. I did recall Barbara was "bad", or at least, not 100% "good". But of course, that's what makes her interesting.
That's something I really like about noir, "grey" characters who are neither virtuous nor evil.

One thing more...Although it was a very small role, I did notice Wendell's secretary, "Dollie". But I had no idea it was the same actress who'd played Farley Granger's obnoxious and ill-fated wife in Strangers on a Train. She looked completely different ! Thanks to Eddie for that tidbit of info.
Yes, Kasey Rogers (who was credited as Laura Elliot in THE FILE ON THELMA JORDAN and as Laura Elliott in STRANGERS ON A TRAIN) is probably best remembered for her recurring role as Louise Tate, the wife of Madison Avenue advertising agency president Larry Tate on the TV series BEWITCHED.

Kasey Rogers took over the role of Louise Tate in the third season of BEWITCHED when Irene Vernon, who originated the role, left the series.
For for her first few seasons, Kasey Rogers wore a bouffant black wig to look more like Irene Vernon. Beginning with the sixth season, she appeared as Louise with her natural red hairstyle. So, it's almost like there were three Louise Tates: Irene Vernon, Kasey Rogers with the bouffant wig and Kasey Rogers without the wig.