Noir Alley

Post Reply
User avatar
ElCid
Posts: 156
Joined: December 2nd, 2022, 12:41 pm
Location: Northwest South Carolina

Noir Alley

Post by ElCid »

Feature for Dec. 3 & 4 is Decoy. Not sure if I have seen it before or not, but will watch it.

OK, to clarify I changed title of this one to simply Noir Alley. Which I should have done in the first place as it is under the TCM section.
Last edited by ElCid on December 10th, 2022, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
User avatar
Thompson
Posts: 233
Joined: November 30th, 2022, 3:04 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by Thompson »

This is the thread, El CID, to post on after the movie?
“Talk is cheap, whiskey costs money” — Harry Caray
User avatar
jamesjazzguitar
Posts: 152
Joined: November 14th, 2022, 2:43 pm

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Thompson wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 2:15 pm This is the thread, El CID, to post on after the movie?
Users at this forum need to make this THE thread to post related to Noir Alley on TCM. So to answer your question; lets make this happen.

Decoy, from poverty row studio, Monogram (1946) has it moments but also flaws. Running at 76 minutes it is worth seeing and I'm looking forward to Eddie's comments.
Last edited by jamesjazzguitar on December 2nd, 2022, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Thompson
Posts: 233
Joined: November 30th, 2022, 3:04 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by Thompson »

Thank you James. I’m sort of lost at sea with a lot of the navigation, because it’s new I guess. Failed at the avatar but now I know the thread to find.
“Talk is cheap, whiskey costs money” — Harry Caray
User avatar
EP Millstone
Posts: 623
Joined: October 20th, 2022, 9:40 am
Location: The Western Hemisphere

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by EP Millstone »

Thompson wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 2:39 pm Thank you James. I’m sort of lost at sea with a lot of the navigation, because it’s new I guess. Failed at the avatar but now I know the thread to find.
Thompson,

If you need assistance with creating an avatar, send me a private message.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
User avatar
EP Millstone
Posts: 623
Joined: October 20th, 2022, 9:40 am
Location: The Western Hemisphere

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by EP Millstone »

A Brief Documentary on Decoy (contains spoilers!)

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
User avatar
EP Millstone
Posts: 623
Joined: October 20th, 2022, 9:40 am
Location: The Western Hemisphere

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by EP Millstone »

Information about Decoy

Filmsite Profile on Decoy (contains spoilers!)

shadowsandsatin Write-up on Decoy

The Projection Booth Podcast on Decoy

Decoy on the Web

1940's Film Noir & Proto Noir (Russian website)

Video Cima4U HD (Russian website, with foreign subtitles)

Βοηθητικό Noir 5 (Russian website, with Greek subtitles)

YouTube (with French subtitles)
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
User avatar
ElCid
Posts: 156
Joined: December 2nd, 2022, 12:41 pm
Location: Northwest South Carolina

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by ElCid »

Thompson wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 2:39 pm Thank you James. I’m sort of lost at sea with a lot of the navigation, because it’s new I guess. Failed at the avatar but now I know the thread to find.
I wrote down Millstone's directions and they were a great help, but not exactly like what I found. But did figure it out. The edit avatar button in on a row about mid-page if I remember correctly. The avatar has to be one that can be accessed more easily than the TCM site. EP Millstone might be able to help more, but it is doable. If I can, anyone can.
Oh, and one advantage over TCM is that you can get a larger avatar in. I now have the whole car and not just a front end. :D
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
User avatar
ElCid
Posts: 156
Joined: December 2nd, 2022, 12:41 pm
Location: Northwest South Carolina

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by ElCid »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 2:27 pm
Thompson wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 2:15 pm This is the thread, El CID, to post on after the movie?
Users at this forum need to make this THE thread to post related to Noir Alley on TCM. So to answer your question; lets make this happen.

Decoy, from poverty row studio, Monogram (1946) has it moments but also flaws. Running at 76 minutes it is worth seeing and I'm looking forward to Eddie's comments.
Thanks. I hoped to create a sub-section that would show up under the TCM section on the Board Index page, which is where I created this one. However, it doesn't show up on the Board Index page. Do we need for a moderator or someone to create a sub-section on the TCM section?
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
User avatar
jamesjazzguitar
Posts: 152
Joined: November 14th, 2022, 2:43 pm

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

ElCid wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 5:40 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 2:27 pm
Thompson wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 2:15 pm This is the thread, El CID, to post on after the movie?
Users at this forum need to make this THE thread to post related to Noir Alley on TCM. So to answer your question; lets make this happen.

Decoy, from poverty row studio, Monogram (1946) has it moments but also flaws. Running at 76 minutes it is worth seeing and I'm looking forward to Eddie's comments.
Thanks. I hoped to create a sub-section that would show up under the TCM section on the Board Index page, which is where I created this one. However, it doesn't show up on the Board Index page. Do we need for a moderator or someone to create a sub-section on the TCM section?
Yea, it would be nice if there was a sub-section on the Board Index. While I'm still getting use to how this forum works I'm using the unread-post option and your post here showed up "at the top". If we keep this thread active (like we did in the TCM forum), recent post should be "at the top" and thus users will find them.
User avatar
EP Millstone
Posts: 623
Joined: October 20th, 2022, 9:40 am
Location: The Western Hemisphere

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by EP Millstone »

ElCid wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 5:40 pm . . . I hoped to create a sub-section that would show up under the TCM section on the Board Index page, which is where I created this one. However, it doesn't show up on the Board Index page. Do we need for a moderator or someone to create a sub-section on the TCM section?
ElCid,

I think that SSO administrators create forums. See the following topics in the Site Talk forum:
Do you want a Noir Alley forum to appear in the TCM section (along with Movies and Features on TCM, The Essentials, and Tales from the TCM Classic Film Festival) on the SSO Board index?
Last edited by EP Millstone on December 3rd, 2022, 10:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
User avatar
EP Millstone
Posts: 623
Joined: October 20th, 2022, 9:40 am
Location: The Western Hemisphere

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by EP Millstone »

ElCid wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 5:26 pm I wrote down Millstone's directions and they were a great help, but not exactly like what I found. But did figure it out. The edit avatar button in on a row about mid-page if I remember correctly.
Sorry about that! My instructions were incomplete. I corrected them.

Creating an avatar
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
User avatar
ElCid
Posts: 156
Joined: December 2nd, 2022, 12:41 pm
Location: Northwest South Carolina

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by ElCid »

EP Millstone wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 7:16 pm
ElCid wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 5:40 pm . . . I hoped to create a sub-section that would show up under the TCM section on the Board Index page, which is where I created this one. However, it doesn't show up on the Board Index page. Do we need for a moderator or someone to create a sub-section on the TCM section?
ElCid,

I think that SSO administrators create forums. See the following topics in the Site Talk forum:
Do you want a Noir Alley forum to appear in the TCM section (along with Movies and Features on TCM, The Essentials, and Tales from the TCM Classic Film Festival) on the SSO Board Index?
That would be my plan. I will visit the links you suggested. Thanks.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
User avatar
ElCid
Posts: 156
Joined: December 2nd, 2022, 12:41 pm
Location: Northwest South Carolina

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by ElCid »

Not sure what happened. Is there some type of delay on this site between selecting submit and it actually showing up. I posted a comment re: today's Noir Alley feature and now I can't find it.
So, I''ll do it again. Watched Decoy and found it entertaining and worth watching and also realized I had seen it several years ago. I think Eddie's commentaries greatly improve the presentations and did in this one. I found Jean Gillie to be the perfect Femme Fatale - not a decent bone in her body. Whereas in Out of the Past, Double Indemnity and so forth, the women are bad, but have some moments of apparent goodness. Gillie never did. Too bad she did not do more movies.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
User avatar
Thompson
Posts: 233
Joined: November 30th, 2022, 3:04 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by Thompson »

“It’s strange that a man can live with a woman for ten years and not know the first thing about her.” — dialogue from The Letter which aired before Decoy.

Decoy — Portugal had a certain swagger, and he threw part of his unfinished hard boiled egg on the table and even though the film is in black and white I could detect a touch of yellow in that egg which is unlikely really for an egg eater, he’s gonna eat all the yellow especially if he’s only got one egg to eat. I guess the bartender had to pick up the peels. The bowl at the bar was filled with the boiled eggs. I would like to have seen what the creamed chicken dish that Margot ordered with a Scotch to start looked like. Also of note is that Portugal’s suit looked a lot like Barney Fife’s except a bigger cut and a slightly different pattern. One more observation— Eddie’s archetype of Woman is top heavy. But you know what they say — Boys grow old but don’t grow into men, girls stay girls and remain on pedestals.
Last edited by Thompson on December 4th, 2022, 12:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“Talk is cheap, whiskey costs money” — Harry Caray
Post Reply