Warners Gangster Collection Vol. 4

News and Upcoming Releases
raftfan

Warners Gangster Collection Vol. 4

Post by raftfan »

Due out on September 23. Check out:

http://forums.goldenagecartoons.com/sho ... hp?t=11272

Appears to be a much better set than Vol. 3. Films include: THE AMAZING DR. CLITTERHOUSE, LITTLE GIANT, KID GALAHAD, LARCENY, INC. and INVISIBLE STRIPES. As a special bonus the set will include the feature-length documentary: PUBLIC ENEMIES: THE GOLDEN AGE OF THE GANGSTER FILM. And, as always, extras including cartoons, newsreels, shorts and trailers. Apparently, only KID GALAHAD will be available as a single title.

Now if only Warners had substituted DOORWAY TO HELL for LITTLE GIANT. But hey: Four Eddies, three Bogies and a Raft. Who can complain?
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

"Who can complain?" Yeah - who?!! ha ha... I'm sorry we don't have 4 or 8 of each, and then I'd want more, too.

But to heck with substitution! Just put 'em all out there! Thanks for the link, by the way - Amazon usually beeps me before anyone else notices, so your early tip is greatly appreciated.

LARCENY's a great role for a young Broderick Crawford and I don't know any of his few other comedic performances. Too bad - he handled this role well.

It also made me notice Harry Davenport (who played the luggage store's original owner) so I could pay attention to the large number of other classic films he did bits in. He's one of those always-working supporting actors in his last decade before his death in 1949, he did 65 films alone. And he got his credited start in 1914, then was doing a series of comedy shorts - the MR JARR series. Never heard of 'em, and they're probably long gone by now.
raftfan

Post by raftfan »

I agree, Ollie. Just market 'em all. There are still a lot of gems in the Warner gangster library. Interesting how Vol. 4 is being put out so soon after Vol. 3. No year-long wait between releases. Must mean there are a lot of rabid Warner gangster fans snatching these collections up.