Special sales of Classic Film DVDs

News and Upcoming Releases
filmlover

Special sales of Classic Film DVDs

Post by filmlover »

Here's a place to let others know of any special sales of classic DVDs you may spot in a major chain store (such as Costco) or online (such as Amazon, DVDPlanet, etc.).
Last edited by filmlover on April 23rd, 2007, 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
filmlover

Post by filmlover »

Costco has four boxsets featuring the above stars, under the heading Columbia Screen Legends Collection. Each star gets three films. The good thing is that each set is selling at Costco for $19.99, which is far less than the $65 to $75 street price to get all three titles in each set.

What caught my eye was what was written on the back of the box sets, that each film is listed as "Mastered in High Definition." I don't know if that is the case, because the covers of the actual DVD state differently at times.

The extra features, what there is of them, are the same as in previous DVD editions.

Here is how the sets break down:

Rita Hayworth:
Gilda (listed as "Digitally Mastered Audio & Video")
The Lady from Shanghai (listed as "Digitally Mastered Audio & Video")
Pal Joey (no mention of any manstering or remastering)

Humphrey Bogart:
In A Lonely Place (listed on the individidual DVD as "Digitally Mastered Audio & Video" and "remastered in High Definition)
Dead Reckoning (listed on the individidual DVD as "Digitally Mastered Audio & Video" and "remastered in High Definition)
Sahara (listed on the individidual DVD as "Digitally Mastered Audio & Video")

James Stewart:
Anatomy of a Murder (listed on the individidual DVD as "Digitally Mastered Audio & Video") (also on the box it says widescreen, but the DVD says the correct aspect of 1:33 to 1 for this film).
Bell, Book, and Candle (listed on the individidual DVD as "Digitally Mastered Audio & Video")
The Man from Laramie (listed on the individidual DVD as "Digitally Mastered Audio & Video" and "Remastered in High Definition)

Glenn Ford:

I didn't purchase this set, but I remember two of the titles were 3:10 to Yuma and Jubal. The third was also a western but I don't recall the title.

It would take someone with a HD setup and the previous DVD releases of these titles to state whether or not there is a difference.

But for the price, it is still a bargain.
filmlover

Post by filmlover »

Amazon.com has a 50% off sale on MGM and Fox classic boxsets, including the two volumes of Charlie Chan, the Chanthology collection, the two of Mr. Moto, Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection, Marilyn Monroe Anniversary Collection, some of the Shirley Temple Collections, the two volumes of Will Rogers, and the Alice Faye and Betty Grable collections.
MissGoddess

DVD EMPIRE 20% OFF SALE

Post by MissGoddess »

At "the other" forum I learned that dvdempire.com is also having a 20% off sale until June 17th. The promo code is: 20offsale
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Does anyone have any info on Deep Discount DVD's annual November sale? For example, is it a blanket 20% off all dvds, is it for the entire month, etc.?

I have a little extra spending money right now and I'm wondering if I should save it until November or buy some box sets on Amazon while they are on sale right now.

thanks

Sandy K
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

The DDD Sale usually isn't for the entire month, but it includes everything in the store. Given that it's 20% off their already dirt cheap prices, it's well worth waiting for. They do a two a year -- the other one is in June or July I believe.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Somone at TCM said Deep Discount had a 10% increase last week.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

movieman1957 wrote:Somone at TCM said Deep Discount had a 10% increase last week.

Yikes! I hope that's not true!
mrsl

Westerns Anyone?

Post by mrsl »

I don't know if this is a good deal or not, but the other day I was at Walmart and picked up a DVD with El Dorado and Hatari on the one disc. Cost:$7.44. Was that a good deal? They had loads of them, but I could only get one so I decided on that one, but plan to return for some more.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Anne:

That's a great deal. Two movies for the price of one. Some old movies are starting to come in a two disc setting for a great price. I got Jimmy Stewart in "Firecreek" and "The Cheyenne Social Club" together and John Wayne in "The Shootist" and "The Sons of Katie Elder." They weren't $7.99 but I thought I got a good deal.

Have you seen these two before?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MichiganJ

Re: Special sales of Classic Film DVDs

Post by MichiganJ »

Kino is having a Film Noir Clearance Sale:

Film Noir: Volume 1 $24.95
Sudden Fear/The Long Night Railroaded/Behind Locked Doors/Hangmen Also Die
http://www.kino.com/video/item.php?acti ... liate=kcem

Film Noir: Volume 2 $24.95
Scarlet Street/The Hitch-Hiker/Contraband/They Made Me a Fugitive/Strange Impersonation

Individual titles, $7.99/each

Behind Locked Doors

Railroaded

Strange Impersonation
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS