TCM Vault Collection

News and Upcoming Releases
jdb1

TCM Vault Collection

Post by jdb1 »

Just a small point of interest:

One of the titles offered in this new collection is a film I've recommended on the "Coming Up on TCM" thread, A Man to Remember.

This is a minor second or third feature about a dedicated country doctor. It's nice, but IMO not worth the $19.99 TCM is charging. I see also that the print being offered is the same one they've been broadcasting, with the Dutch subtitles. The blurb for the video says that this is the only version extant. I guess that makes the movie a bit more interesting than it otherwise might be.
Moraldo Rubini

Re: TCM Vault Collection

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

jdb1 wrote:Just a small point of interest:

One of the titles offered in this new collection is a film I've recommended on the "Coming Up on TCM" thread, A Man to Remember.

This is a minor second or third feature about a dedicated country doctor. It's nice, but IMO not worth the $19.99 TCM is charging. I see also that the print being offered is the same one they've been broadcasting, with the Dutch subtitles. The blurb for the video says that this is the only version extant. I guess that makes the movie a bit more interesting than it otherwise might be.
Yes, it makes the movie a "Dutch treat"!
markfp

Post by markfp »

Since I recorded them, I won't be buying the set. However, I think pointing the finger at TCM for the high price is pointing in the wrong direction. After all, TCM is just one cog in the Time-Warner wheel. Even though TCM's logo is on the package it's being distributed by Warner Home Entertainment. (another T-W cog) I would think that WHE makes the price and marketing decisions for DVD releases not TCM.

My only complaint is that the films are only available through Movies Unlimited and not through the usual discount sources like Amazon and Deep Discount DVD where we could have got them cheaper.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

My comment about pricing wasn't really directed at the seller, but was an indication of my assessment of the worth of the film. It's very minor, even though it's very pleasant. Of course, it shouldn't really have surprised me, in these times, that prices are inflated past all intrinsic value. But I would have expected something like A Man to Remember to be included as an "extra" on the disc of some other, more significant, film.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Looking through the TCM DVD store it is obvious that they sell more than classic films. You can get a concert of Chicago and Earth, Wind and Fire and several editions of the truly classic "Girls Gone Wild." Go figure.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Ooooooh! You are so naughty for even looking at that in the catalog! :oops: ( but :lol:, really! )
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor