The Warner Archive

News and Upcoming Releases
MissGoddess

Re: The Warner Archive

Post by MissGoddess »

Thanks very much, Myrna---that's good to know. I would hope they had subtitles or closed-captioning,
darn it, but I won't beef. I for one like the packaging. I know the larger cases take up more precious room,
but I can't read the spines well enough on the slim cases.

Looks like BEAST OF THE CITY was one of the "hottest" titles, this is the third or fourth mention
of it I've come across since the announcement!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Mrs. Parkington arrived today. I'm happy with the DVD -- the image quality is good. As more of AM's titles become available I'll definitely order -- even though it's a bit expensive. Here's a screen cap just to give you an idea of the quality :wink:

Ollie

Post by Ollie »

The price remains a sticking point for me. I'd probably like 100 of those titles, but 10 or 20 may be all we'd ever buy at these extreme prices. We have 100 Criterions and most of those were purchased in the annual 2-for-1 sales where we'll end up invariably with 30 instead of 10 "just because of the value". This is from the Gracie Allen School Of Economics, by the way.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

There's absolutely nothing wrong with your economics Ollie.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

feaito wrote:Is it true? The lost RKO Collection is comprised of DVD-Rs? I thought it were regular DVDs. And all these goodies offered by Warners are DVD-Rs? I'm glad they are being sold and put on the market, but I won't pay 20 dollars for DVD-Rs.
Fernando, why does the fact that it's a DVD-R cause hesitation? Is it a lesser resolution? Is the quality not as good as regular? I just discovered the Archive tonight, and there are so many titles that I feel I must buy; especially the Dresslers, Marion Davies, and Idiot's Delight.
Ollie wrote:The price remains a sticking point for me. I'd probably like 100 of those titles, but 10 or 20 may be all we'd ever buy at these extreme prices. We have 100 Criterions and most of those were purchased in the annual 2-for-1 sales where we'll end up invariably with 30 instead of 10 "just because of the value".
Where does one find a Criterion sale?! I love the series, and allow myself to buy them for only special occassions (my birthday, Xmas, the 3rd of April, etc.)...
feaito

Post by feaito »

Moraldo Rubini wrote: Fernando, why does the fact that it's a DVD-R cause hesitation? Is it a lesser resolution? Is the quality not as good as regular? I just discovered the Archive tonight, and there are so many titles that I feel I must buy; especially the Dresslers, Marion Davies, and Idiot's Delight.
Marco,

I am glad that these titles are available for the general public in the USA and that more will be in the near future, but definitely I won't pay more than 20 dollars for each one of them. I have many DVD-Rs and I have even bought some early '30s Gables and Crawfords that were released locally in Chile some years ago -on DVD-R- and paid a fair price in relation to the format, but I think that 20 dollars & more is too much for DVD-Rs; in fact nowadays I think it is too much even for a regularly manufactured DVD. No matter how properly manufactured are these DVD-Rs, you have to be more careful handling them and they won't last as long as DVDs. Anyhow, as I say, that does not mean I won't buy any of them when they become available world-wide and their prices drop.
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

feaito wrote:
Moraldo Rubini wrote: Fernando, why does the fact that it's a DVD-R cause hesitation? Is it a lesser resolution? Is the quality not as good as regular? I just discovered the Archive tonight, and there are so many titles that I feel I must buy; especially the Dresslers, Marion Davies, and Idiot's Delight.
I am glad that these titles are available for the general public in the USA and that more will be in the near future, but definitely I won't pay more than 20 dollars for each one of them. I have many DVD-Rs and I have even bought some early '30s Gables and Crawfords that were released locally in Chile some years ago -on DVD-R- and paid a fair price in relation to the format, but I think that 20 dollars & more is too much for DVD-Rs; in fact nowadays I think it is too much even for a regularly manufactured DVD. No matter how properly manufactured are these DVD-Rs, you have to be more careful handling them and they won't last as long as DVDs. Anyhow, as I say, that does not mean I won't buy any of them when they become available world-wide and their prices drop.
Now I feel as if they're holding these titles in a hostage situation. Luckily, they're not more than $20.00 (they're $19.95! :wink: ) I was more disappointed that after waiting so many years for these titles, I'll finally have them -- but without any extras (call me greedy). So I wonder if some will be rereleased later with extras, and I'll end up paying twice. It's already happened with previously released titles.
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

I've opened an account with them and added three titles to my wish list: Exit Smiling, Cain and Mabel, and Love on the Run. I've had so many expeditures lately, that it may be quite some time before I can afford to buy them, but I'm glad they've made these available. They are pricey though.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

silentscreen wrote:I've opened an account with them and added three titles to my wish list: Exit Smiling, Cain and Mabel, and Love on the Run. I've had so many expeditures lately, that it may be quite some time before I can afford to buy them, but I'm glad they've made these available. They are pricey though.
Just meander through the Criterion catalogue, it makes paying $19.95 seem easier...
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:
silentscreen wrote:I've opened an account with them and added three titles to my wish list: Exit Smiling, Cain and Mabel, and Love on the Run. I've had so many expeditures lately, that it may be quite some time before I can afford to buy them, but I'm glad they've made these available. They are pricey though.
Just meander through the Criterion catalogue, it makes paying $19.95 seem easier...
It's just that when I've bought the new "Forbidden Hollywood" series with all the films and terrific extras, these seem expensive by compaison. I'm sure I'll break down eventually. :D
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Find a Criterion sale? Research, research, research! When we find a vendor listing a Criterion catalog sale, we do go into extremus consumo. We always hope for reasoned-sales - ie, holidays, seasonal events, but we've found a couple in the last 3-4 years that were 'out of the blue'. When vendors go out of biz, that's been a prime feeding time.
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Ollie wrote:Find a Criterion sale? Research, research, research! When we find a vendor listing a Criterion catalog sale, we do go into extremus consumo. We always hope for reasoned-sales - ie, holidays, seasonal events, but we've found a couple in the last 3-4 years that were 'out of the blue'. When vendors go out of biz, that's been a prime feeding time.
When Tower went out of business, I think the Criterion was the last to be discounted; and even then I think I only got 10% off. If you ever see a sale, I hope you'll let us know. I have The Seventh Seal, Orphic Trilogy, The Red Balloon, Summertime, The Last Emperor, Ozu, M[/], Wages of Fear, Wild Strawberries, and so many more on my shopping list. This pricey list has me returning to the more affordable Warner Archive in the meantime...
feaito

Post by feaito »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:Now I feel as if they're holding these titles in a hostage situation. Luckily, they're not more than $20.00 (they're $19.95! :wink: ) I was more disappointed that after waiting so many years for these titles, I'll finally have them -- but without any extras (call me greedy). So I wonder if some will be rereleased later with extras, and I'll end up paying twice. It's already happened with previously released titles.
As I had understood previously, plus shipping costs, the price is over 20 dollars for each DVD :wink:
movieman

Post by movieman »

Here's a review of the 'Archive' release of the Hammer movie "Crescendo" (1969/1970) from the 'DVD Drive-In' site:

http://dvddrive-in.com/reviews/a-d/crescendo7072.htm

The picture quality is very good according to this review.

Sincerely,

Mr. Even B.
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

feaito wrote:
Moraldo Rubini wrote:Now I feel as if they're holding these titles in a hostage situation. Luckily, they're not more than $20.00 (they're $19.95! :wink: ) I was more disappointed that after waiting so many years for these titles, I'll finally have them -- but without any extras (call me greedy). So I wonder if some will be rereleased later with extras, and I'll end up paying twice. It's already happened with previously released titles.
As I had understood previously, plus shipping costs, the price is over 20 dollars for each DVD :wink:
Hey! I put in my first order the other day (Idiot's Delight and Tugboat Annie) and they didn't charge me for shipping. 'Twas a surprise, but I didn't argue. I can't wait for my first package (and this from someone who would never buy on-line)...