Becoming Charley Chase DVD Set

News and Upcoming Releases
MichiganJ

Becoming Charley Chase DVD Set

Post by MichiganJ »

AllDay Entertainment's 4-DVD set Becoming Charley Chase, which will include over 40 shorts (many with commentaries), as well as a retrospective on Chase's career, will finally be released this summer. A distribution deal had broken down, but the folks at AllDay have found a new distributer (according to the home page on their web site), and the set, as previously announced, will finally soon be available. (July 28, is the date I've seen posted elsewhere). If you are a fan of their American Slapstick Series or their Harry Langdon Collection: Lost and Found, you know this Chase set will be pretty great.

DVD details
http://www.alldayentertainment.com/dvdpages/chase.html
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Becoming Charley Chase DVD Set

Post by movieman1957 »

Well, this is welcome news. My Charlie Chase collecting has been slow going as TCM has rarely shown any lately. There are some coming up June 1 as part of Leo McCarey's day.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

This is truly great news :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

This has been on-then-off-now-on-again, and it's good news. He's never received much attention from me because I haven't seen much of his work. This is the Farmer's Dilemma Syndrome - they gotta get the seeds in the ground before anything grows - like interest.

I wish some of these groups would get their shorts to be thrown into all the junk previews at theaters. We are now commonly paying to see TV ads in movie theaters, which irks me to no end - sitting thru bleepin' Coke commercials at today's ticket prices.

In the early '90s, AMC Theaters announced they'd show the Chuck Jones-WB Cartoons for that summer. The response was great and they extended this to the whole next year, and by next summer, I was even getting burned out on seeing the same Pepe LePew for the 10th time. But I only went to AMC Theaters during that more-than-12-month period just because they had a cartoon.

I wish some smart DVD manufacturer would realize they could stick a 10-15-20 minute short at the beginning of a feature and THEN advertise that the box-set was available.