Douglas Sirk's A TIME TO LOVE AND A TIME TO DIE

News and Upcoming Releases
MissGoddess

Douglas Sirk's A TIME TO LOVE AND A TIME TO DIE

Post by MissGoddess »

I don't know how but I completely missed this DVD release (in France and the UK):

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRevie ... to_die.htm

I have been wanting to see this movie forever and here it snuck out in a deluxe 2-disc presentation
that I simply have to get my hot little paws on.

Has anyone seen this movie? Has anyone gotten the DVD and can tell me how great it is?
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Douglas Sirk's A TIME TO LOVE AND A TIME TO DIE

Post by moira finnie »

This seems to be a Region 2 dvd, so I guess it would work on an all region dvd player, wouldn't it? I would love to see this someday soon.

I saw this years ago when the story line was way over my head, but I never forgot how touching it was. Since I've been reading two bios of the author Erich Maria Remarque lately, I can tell you that he has a small but key part in the film. It is one of Sirk's best "straight" films, up there with The Tarnished Angels. The movie was quite controversial when it opened in Germany in the late '50s. I believe that Larry as in VecchioLarry was in Europe at the time that this was made and he knew some of the principals. He has mentioned it before, so perhaps he will mention it again.

Have you read the book? It is one of Remarque's better later books, though he was criticized by some reviewers for spending the war outside of Germany (that was not his choice, but the Nazis). He lost many friends in WWII and his sister was beheaded for "defeatist" remarks about the Fuhrer. From what I have read about Sirk's life, it meant a great deal to him as well. It is probably the best role that John Gavin ever had, and Lilo Pulver was very touching, at least in my memory.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Moira!

I had no idea what the movie was about, I didn't even know it was based on a story by Remarque. That makes me even more interested. I like his brand of cynical romanticism, but now I am expecting something REALLY sad...goody! :D

No, I have not read this book by Remarque---I have only read All Quiet on the Western Front and Arch of Triumph, and frankly had not even heard of it.

I hope to have the movie in a few weeks, if possible, so I will certainly comment more.

The U.K. DVD release claims you can play it on all-region players. I have a dedicated DVD player for R2 just in case.

Have I said before how much I detest all this "regionality" in DVDs??
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I have the single R2 DVD. Great book, great film. The transfer looks wonderful.