The Elia Kazan Collection

News and Upcoming Releases
pvitari

The Elia Kazan Collection

Post by pvitari »

This is quite a box set!

From classicflix.com:

The Elia Kazan Collection (A Tree Grows in Brooklyn / Viva Zapata! / Man on a Tightrope / Wild River / America, America... Among Others) (1945)
Starring: Dana Andrews, James Dean, Julie Harris, Raymond Massey, Gregory Peck, Dorothy McGuire, Marlon Brando, Rod Steiger, Lee J. Cobb, Jeanne Crain, Ethel Waters, Peggy Ann Garner, Joan Blondell, Jean Peters, Anthony Quinn, Fredric March, Terry Moore, Gloria Grahame, Montgomery Clift
Director: Elia Kazan
Genre: Drama
Year: 1945
Studio: 20th Century Fox
Length: 0 minutes
Release Date: November 9, 2010
Rating: NR
Format: DVD
Misc: Widescreen, NTSC, Full Screen, Black & White
Language: English(Original Language)

SYNOPSIS:
On November 9th, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release the Elia Kazan Film Collection, an 18-disc DVD gift set including A Letter to Elia and 15 of Kazan’s most acclaimed and noteworthy films.

The full collection, in addition to the documentary, includes: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945), Boomerang! (1947), Gentleman’s Agreement (1947), Pinky (1949), Panic in the Streets (1950), A Streetcar Named Desire (1951), Viva Zapata! (1952), Man on a Tightrope (1953), On the Waterfront (1954), East of Eden (1955), Baby Doll (1956), A Face in the Crowd (1957), Wild River (1960), Splendor in the Grass (1961), and America, America (1963). Of the collection, 5 films have never before been released on DVD: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Viva Zapata!, Man on a Tightrope, Wild River, and America, America.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: The Elia Kazan Collection

Post by moira finnie »

Good thing you left off that pricetag of $169.99 ($199 retail) from the Classicflix announcement. I would love to see all the extras and to view Viva Zapata again after so many years of that film being archived.

All the films in this collection will include A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945), Boomerang! (1947), Gentleman’s Agreement (1947), Pinky (1949), Panic in the Streets (1950), A Streetcar Named Desire (1951), Viva Zapata! (1952), Man on a Tightrope (1953), On the Waterfront (1954), East of Eden (1955), Baby Doll (1956), A Face in the Crowd (1957), Wild River (1960), Splendor in the Grass (1961), and America, America (1963). Of the collection, 5 films have never before been released on DVD: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Viva Zapata!, Man on a Tightrope, Wild River, and America, America...which really is one of the best collections since the John Ford one a few years ago.

But that price...oy!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Do I pay $169.99 for MAN ON A TIGHTROPE and AMERICA, AMERICA?

I think not.

But, around May 2011, I will certainly start perusing the local purveyors of used DVDs for them.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

What a good selection but very pricey. Most of us have probably got several of Kazan's films, I wish they would also offer them for sale seperately so that we could complete our collections for less.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Actually, Viva Zapata was released in Region One (I have a copy, great looking print), but on a recent check it appears the disc is now OOP. Unless you can find a used copy (or they release these as single discs), your best bet is to record the film when it shows this month.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I'm sure someone will have the set even cheaper than Classicflix. I always use dvdpricesearch.com to comparison shop before I place an order.