Another Site for Hard to Find Movies on DVD-R

News and Upcoming Releases
MissGoddess

Another Site for Hard to Find Movies on DVD-R

Post by MissGoddess »

Through yet another forum I post about Classic Movies I learned there is a site with an extensive selection of dvd-r's (movies that have been recorded from TV or other sources onto dvd discs---not commercial releases). They are not "free", because they charge you $9.95 per movie to cover shipping and expenses.

However, it's a rather decent site of "last resort" if you can't get a copy any other way. Also, if you check out the site's homepage, they offer a finding service that will search for even more obscure titles not on the previous list.

http://www.freemoviesondvd.com/index.htm#thefilms

The homepage address:

www.classicmovies.org

P.S. No, I'm not associated with this service in any way (*lol*) or Brad Lang who runs the site but I've been acquainted with him through the forums for years and he seems really honest and passionate about the classics. :)
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Have you purchased anything from him, MissG?

If so, what is the film quality like?

I might be interested in getting some things from him...but I'm fairly picky about quality....as a couple of posters here will no doubt attest. :lol:

I have most of those films...but there are a few gems in there that have me interested.....
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Well I'll tell you true, PK, I'm just about to place my first order with them which is why I posted this thread. I have been wanting THAT HAMILTON WOMAN on dvd for the longest, and I can only find it on R2. So, I'm going to order from this site and as soon as it arrives, I'll post right here and let everyone know how it is.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Okay! I'm very curious about this! There are a few things there that I wouldn't mind getting IF they are decent quality.

One or two Cagney films, a couple of Eddie G. films, one Claudette Colbert film...and yeah, I'd love to get ahold of THAT HAMILTON WOMAN also - I'm still TRYING to cultivate a taste for Vivien Leigh. :P

BTW, did you ever purchase a DVD recorder and/or a burner? I'm still waiting to trade stuff with you as we have so much the same taste in...well...just about everything! :lol:
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi PK---no, I still don't have the recorder/burner yet because now I have to replace my computer which is dying. :cry: I can't wait to get "up to date' finally!
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ Well, when you replace your computer, make sure and get one with a DVD burner.

Most computers come with them these days for a very reasonable price.

And there is no point in buying one later and pulling components out of a new computer to replace them when you can do it up-front and keep your warranty intact.

Just my 2 cents. ;)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

You bet. I'm actually looking at Dell right now. My current one is a Dell laptop which I bought new in 2000 but I think I need a regualr desktop at home now, since I want to burn dvds and have enough memory to load my screenwriting software.

Miss G
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Hey MissG!

I was wondering if you had received that DVD yet. I'm curious about that company and want to know how the film that you ordered turned out!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hello PK-Girl---I only placed the order this weekend so hopefully I will have by the end of this week or early next. The minute I do I'll be sure to post about it here. :)
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I ordered some stuff from the guy in the Make Way for Tomorrow thread I posted. (Make Way and Naked Alibi) I'll report on quality when I get them.

I also picked up some silents from Gagman66 and quality on what I've viewed so far looks good, price was fair and he had them to me within a week of me sending a MO.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Mr. Arkadin wrote:I ordered some stuff from the guy in the Make Way for Tomorrow thread I posted. (Make Way and Naked Alibi) I'll report on quality when I get them.
Where is that thread?

I don't recall seeing it and a quick trip through the forums didn't get me any closer to an answer....
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ Thanks. And I spent 20 minutes looking through all the genre forums. :lol:

Anyway, I've heard of that guy, but have never purchased anything from him. I'll be curious to see what you come up with!
MissGoddess

That Hamilton Woman - dvd

Post by MissGoddess »

I received my dvd of That Hamilton Woman and took a quick look at it to judge it's quality. I give it a "so so" rating. The picture looks like a watery vhs-to-dvd transfer. But, aside from seeking a used vhs tape or Region 2 disc, this is my only option. If it's indicative of the quality of all the other titles in their collection, then I might say try everywhere else first.

The packaging is just the simple "jewel" case with a picture inside the cover.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I still haven't recieved anything. :?