Rudolph Valentino The Silent Idol - mailing list

The place for film-trading!
rudyfan

Rudolph Valentino The Silent Idol - mailing list

Post by rudyfan »

I was not exactly certain where to put this, so I beg the indulgence of the mods in case I've made an error.

My book Rudolph Valentino The Silent Idol is set to publish Fall 2009 (I can't be more specific than that I'm afraid). I've got some promo postcards and I wanted to let people know that I will be happy to send one and add your name to the mailing list (snail mail and email) if interested.

If you'd like to be added, please send an email to me at rudyfan(dot)geo(at)yahoo(dot)com.

Thanks so much

Donna Hill
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Rudolph Valentino The Silent Idol - mailing list

Post by moira finnie »

Donna!
Congratulations and I hope that you'll share more details about this event in the future. You must be so proud that you've been able to shepherd this project through the marketplace. I'm so pleased for you.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

moirafinnie wrote:Donna!
Congratulations and I hope that you'll share more details about this event in the future. You must be so proud that you've been able to shepherd this project through the marketplace. I'm so pleased for you.
Moira

Thank you for your kind comments (and yes, you are now on the mailing list).

I'll post some detail as well as some sample pages here and on my website soon. I have a lot of work to go, but, it's humming along.

The book is being self published through blurb.com (which is where it will be available to order). To make a long story short, after the last editor I was working with at a certain University press jumped ship to another, I did not want to wait another 2 or more years to get this project off my desk. In the current economy, a lavish photo book that may or may not sell 1000 copies is not something publishers are willing to shell out money for. Blurb.com is not the be all end all, but it is the best option I have right now for a quality selfpublished book. Happily, with blurb (or perhaps this is also a bad thing) I've got control over what goes in, what does not make the cut and how it will all look. I've sent some preliminary sample pages to some Valentino friends and the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive on the look and feel of the book.

Thanks for your interest and again for your kind words.

Donna
feaito

Post by feaito »

My heartfelt congratulations Donna! :D
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Congratulations Donna, I'm moving soon, so my email won't be any use but if you keep posting on this thread once I've moved I'll send you my details.

Alison
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Congratulations, Donna, what an achievement for you. I'm looking forward to the mailings , will send a pm with my info. :D :D
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

Here are a couple of sample pics. Keep in mind that the background on the page has now been changed. In addition, all the text will be green, these were taken from the last draft which was only for me to see how things were looking. So this is a very flawed and incomplete sneak peek.

charliechaplinfan

Donna it looks fabulous, he improved with age. I can't wait until I get my copy, it will make a lovely Xmas present for me if it's released in the fall.

How do you feel about Natasha? Many fans don't like her at all, after reading Emily Leider's book I'm ambivalent.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Donna it looks fabulous, he improved with age. I can't wait until I get my copy, it will make a lovely Xmas present for me if it's released in the fall.
:-) October is my target date (early or late remains to be seen)
charliechaplinfan wrote:How do you feel about Natasha? Many fans don't like her at all, after reading Emily Leider's book I'm ambivalent.
Natacha was a woman ahead of her time. Misunderstood in her time and most certainly misunderstood by Valentino's fans (and likely some of his friends and enemies) in the 1920s and even today. I feel she had great ambition and talent and in a small way took advantage of her alliance with Valentino (as she did with Nazimova). That said, her talent was remarkable. The real love story between Valentino and Rambova will not be known until sometime in 2010 or 2011 with the book that is forthcoming from the Valentino family. This will be very important as it is based on correspondence and documents that have never been seen before.

I'd recommend very highly Michael Morris' biography of Natacha, Madame Valentino. Now OOP, but can be found online in various used book spots.

I must add that Michael was very generous with me in sharing some photos to use and I have to say, sitting down with him and talking about Valentino and Rambova and looking over his wonderful collection of images of her was a real treat. Of course, many Valentino collectors have been very generous with image usage. I've got a lot of people to thank.
charliechaplinfan

It's great to know of the generosity of others. I've got into the habit of reading the acknowledgements pages and I'm discovering the world of quality film writing is a generous and nuturing one.

I think it's easy to blame Natasha for Rudy's mistakes and he seemed better suited for roles like The Eagle and The Son of the Sheik but he did need a mix to stop him being typecast. In Emily Leider's book she reads very much as you describe her, ahead of her time, remarkably talented, Camille would be worth it just for the sets alone. I didn't know about the correspondence that the Valentino family hold, another must have book. Have you managed to talk with them? Are they now in the US or Italy? So many questions, I can be a nuisance :roll:
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

I love the photo of Rudy as a boy and on his passport. He looked a perfect gentleman. How exciting about the Valentino family writing a book!!!! When your book becomes available, I'll definitely have to get it! Re:Natacha,she was a beautiful, talented woman, and there is always more to a story than the public knows about. The fact that she was the love of his life says a lot about her. It will be intersting to see what the correspondence says.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

In a bit of shameless self-promotion, the 2010 edition of the annual Valentino calendar just went live. Details can be found at http://www.rudolph-valentino.com/calendar.htm.

A complete preview can be seen at http://www.lulu.com/preview/lulustudio- ... ol/7214336

The book deadline is extended, simply because it's not finished!!! I'm hoping to have it ready by Xmas.....it's hard work!
charliechaplinfan

Sigh, simply lovely Donna.
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

I'm toiling away, scanning more today, in between posts and email.

I took the liberty to order a small proof of the book to check layout, image quality and all that jazz. I can only say, I am totally thrilled with the result I see.

Preview here:

http://www.rudolph-valentino.com/new-book.htm

Unfortunately, or fortunately, I've now decided to only offer a HB. A couple of reasons, why not go whole hog and also, it looks stunning. The DJ quality is terrific.

Alas, blurb's pricing is by page count, so the book will be pricier than I'd initially hoped. Around $55-$60, ouch. In the end, if I sell 100 copies, I will be happy. I was never doing this project for the $$, just to get it out there.

December is the target for it to be available. It will not be on amazon, as far as I can tell, I do have the ISBN for it, so it will be in books in print. It might make it to a regular bookstore. I'll be sending out postcards probably after Xmas to bookstores in NY, LA and other large cities to see if anything happens. Who knows?

In any case, I have much to do yet, and am now newly and freshly inspired in seeing the inspirational volume on my desk here. :D

Donna
charliechaplinfan

Donna, it looks simply wonderful. i'm sure you'll sell more than 100 copies and $55 doesn't sound too much. it sounds like you've gone for quality and that is alwaya a winner with me.