HOME RECORDING TO DVD

The place for film-trading!
markbeckuaf

Post by markbeckuaf »

Thank you for the write-up on that Pioneer! Reading your review plus the specs, it definitely sounds like it's worth every penny in more ways than one, but it's a tad out of my price range at the moment. Need to do some saving, but I'm looking at that one very seriously. Thanks again!
It's a pre-code world and we're living in it!
TalkieTime

Post by TalkieTime »

Is there a new Panasonic hard drive DVR coming? I recently inquired.

Here is their response:

"Thank you for your inquiry. As of 2007, we are no longer designing our
DVD Recorders with a hard drive.

We hope this information is helpful to you.

Thank You,
Panasonic Consumer Support"
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ Bummer. Pretty much what I already knew...but it's still sad to see it confirmed in print. :(

Yes, folks...the situation is looking pretty grim for anyone who can't stay home all day and babysit a machine with no hard drive.....
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

(Hi, talkietime, it's your old friend, the gremlin, here!)

I have to say the refurbished Panasonic I bought off ebay with a limited warranty has been fantastic so far. Their IT department is very helpful by phone, also. Especially if you find yourself crawling around in a pile of wires unsure of what you just unplugged.

I just looked on ebay and it seems that the few of these machines that are currently available are higher in cost than the $66 I spent in April.
B
TalkieTime

Post by TalkieTime »

Birdy,

It's good to hear from you again.

I'm glad you're pleased with your Panasonic. Mine have held up well, even with heavy use.

I read more than I post here or on TCM. I'm more like Mr. Ed, I don't speak unless I have something to say.

Take care.

TalkieTime
TalkieTime

Post by TalkieTime »

While some manufacturers of combo recorders and DVRs no longer equip some of their products with built-in tuners some manufacturers are offering products that have built-in analog and digital tuners.

I have one of the new analog/digital tuning Panasonics, a DMR-EZ17, an entry level DVD recorder. This model tunes analog and digital signals.

The DMR-EZ17 tunes several local digital and/or High Definition channels passed through by Comcast. (The HD channels are viewed and recorded in standard definition.)

As with earlier Panasonics the DMR-EZ17 recording quality and playback is first rate.

Our local Comcast cable service places TCM on an encrypted (scrambled) digital channel so use of the Comcast digital cable box is still necessary.
Last edited by TalkieTime on March 23rd, 2008, 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TalkieTime

Post by TalkieTime »

ANALOG TO DIGITAL TV TRANSITION, ANTENNA RECEPTION. For those receiving TV from an antenna an important date is approaching. The taxpayer-funded coupon program for digital to analog converters begins on January 1, 2008. This program provides up to two $40 coupons per household toward the purchase of two government-approved converters. These converters will tune digital broadcast stations and convert these digital broadcast signals to analog so that one may continue to use analog TVs. The government has determined that analog TV broadcasting ends in February 2009. Many broadcast stations already have companion digital channels that may be received by TVs and DVRs with digital tuners, required on all tuner-equipped TVs and DVRs manufactured since March 1, 2007. To circumvent these requirements most low-end VCRs and VCR/DVD combos no longer have tuners. These devices record only from external tuning devices through RCA inputs (yellow for video and white/red for audio).

ANALOG AND DIGITAL CABLE RECEPTION. Cable providers have been converting to digital technology for several years. Most cable systems still offer some portions of their channel lineups as analog signals. These are the so-called cable-ready channels that may be tuned by analog TVs, VCRs, and DVD recorders without a digital cable box. The digital channels require digital converter boxes. These boxes convert digital signals to an analog format for analog TVs, VCRs, and DVD recorders.

Cable is not directly subject to the government mandated February 2009 change-over to digital broadcasting.

For those with digital cable converter boxes there will not be such a drastic change in the run-up to February 2009. Perhaps many channels may change to new locations. At some point cable providers must also transition to an all-digital format. I don’t know if the date for that change-over has been determined.

COPYRIGHT PROTECTION, ENCODED DIGITAL SIGNALS AND HOME-RECORDING. I have read some postings on another discussion board concerning copyright protection added to or incorporated in original program content by movie/program producers, satellite and cable programming services (HBO, Showtime, etc.), and/or down the line on "digital and/or HD" signals by satellite and cable providers (DishTV, Comcast, etc.) and even by local broadcast stations.

This raises a number of questions, especially that of encoding/copyright protection of digitally transmitted programming. The answers to such questions may become clearer with more widespread use of digital tuners in those current model DVD recorders equipped with tuners. (I have one DVD recorder with a digital tuner. It tunes analog and digital signals that are not scrambled. Our local Comcast service places TCM on a scrambled digital channel so a Comcast digital cable box is necessary for TCM reception.)

The discussions mention that copyright protection encoding may allow one recording (so-called "fair use"), no recording, or unrestricted recording of such encoded material. As I understand it the encoding restrictions have been incorporated very effectively into digital and HD transmissions and tuning technology.

This encoding/copyrighting technology is now going to become a more serious consideration for the home archivist.
Last edited by TalkieTime on March 23rd, 2008, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ollie

What about "portability" or "compatibility&qu

Post by Ollie »

I run across several trading-partners who use DVRs and produce non-standard DVD-Rs - in formats that my various PCs, Macs and Linux boxes can't read, and that none of my TV DVD players can play.

In fact, only their DVR players can play them.

What's the cause for this? I know, I know - it's a video-compression algorithm that's proprietary - as is the manufacturer's right. It's certainly a great disk-saver, but is there any concern that the video-compression can't be transferred over to the next DVD-Format Hurdle (more like a Burning Hoop, I think - whatever the next equipment level we move to, it's going to hurt).
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

TalkieTime brought up DRM - Digital Rights Management - and echos my sentiments about sticking my neck thru their nooses.

We all have favorite films that aren't on DVDs because Rights Issues are so screwed up that the art lies buried out of Rightsholder Preferences ("I can't make my million on Day 1, so I'm not going to let anyone ever see my granddaddy's work!") rather than "no copies available".

DRM is going to screw up access to art more than ever, I fear. I've never seen any of these "features" benefiting consumers or the audience.

I do love how Old Radio Shows were thrown into Public Domain, however, so those are available by the tens of thousands - art that was meant for public consumption is now widely available for that public consumption again.
TalkieTime

Philips DVDR3575H/37B

Post by TalkieTime »

A number of my earlier postings have lauded various Panasonic DVD recorders and combo recorders, models DMR-ES30V, DMR-ES15 and DMR-ES35V, manufactured in 2005 and 2006. I have been critical of one 2005 model, DMR-ES40V, that had various design flaws and bugs. In 2007 and 2008 I purchased Panasonic EZ series machines with digital tuners. These newer Panasonics have exhibited various bugs and design flaws, some very similar to those from the earlier DMR-ES40V. Panasonic's 2007 and newer combo recorder models have been stripped of menu-initiated dubbing/copying that allowed for user defined customized settings. These EZ series combo recorders do not produce seamless copies of videotaped recordings without connecting an external VCR and copying videotaped recordings in that manner.

Due to the outstanding picture quality found on Panasonic products I still use Panasonic DVD and combo recorders daily. I currently own fifteen functional Panasonic DVD and combo recorders. My six most heavily used Panasonics average more than 3,000 recording hours per machine. My first Panasonic DVD combo recorder, purchased in September 2005, has accumulated more than 4,300 recording hours and was fully functional at last use.

Some of the discussions in this and other Forums have decried the disappearance of a variety of hard drive DVD recorders from the US marketplace. As my attention was taken up in my ten month long project copying to DVD selected portions of my twenty years of home recorded videotapes I did not notice that the highly regarded Panasonic hard drive recorders had been discontinued. (Manufacturers were required to have digital tuners in tuner-equipped devices manufactured for the US market beginning 1 March 2007. Many manufacturers responded by removing tuners from a variety of products or dropping hard drive models from their offerings.)

There are a number of tasks that are better performed by HDD/DVD recorders. One such model, the Philips 3575 has been discussed in this thread. This model has also been discussed, in greater detail, in at least two threads at the AVS Forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=106

This product and other variations, the current Philips 3576 and Magnavox 2160 and 2080 models, afford a great degree of recording and editing flexibility, especially useful when TCM programs extended blocks of (my favorite) early talkies through the film noir era. I program the Philips 3575 and Magnavox 2160 and up to four Panasonics to record from a Comcast digital cable box always set to TCM. The HDD/DVD recorders do not have some of the limitations of Panasonics recording directly to DVDs. With the HDD/DVD recorders I edit and high speed dub recordings to DVD.

Serious TCM time-shifters may wish to give the Philips and Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders serious consideration.
Last edited by TalkieTime on March 28th, 2009, 5:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Argh... what's the command structure to
replace a full length URL 'address' with a
simpler, shorter Name? If we can get
TalkieTime to re-edit the above Address
and incorporate this URL LABEL command,
this thread won't require scrolling Left Right
Up and Down to read.

When I put my Cursor up on the URL button
as I type this message, I see a simple URL
command structure THEN I see "...OR..." and
a second 'formatting' that includes the phrase
URL TEXT between brackets. Does that URL
TEXT become the Displayed Label?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Ollie have you ever visited TinyUrl?

If I take your very long webstring (seen below) and go to http://tinyurl.com/create.php
and paste your long url into the space provided, they will shorten it to the brief one that follows for free:

214 characters:

ht t p :/ / www .outlet.ph ilips.com/b2c_redesign
/b2c/productdetail.do?productguid=419077EAEF
11009F00000000828BD47245A5FD5919FB02F5
00000000828BD532&productarea=419077EAEF
11009F00000000828
BD472&scenario=catalog&shop=OUTLET

25 characters:

http://tinyurl.com/2km5gu
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Actually, tiny url is only useful when sending emails or some other format that may not recognize html.

In phpBB, the software used for this forum, you can use BBCode directly. The format is [url=http://www.reallylongurlthatbreakstheforummargins]Short URL[/url].

I'm turning off BBCode in this post, but in the post below I'll show how it looks when it's on.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

TalkieTime

Post by TalkieTime »

Thank you moderator/administrator for fixing my long link blunder. Sometimes I'm internet ignorant.

With regard to the Philips, note that this model has both ATSC and NTSC (digital and analog) tuners.

On the AVS Forum I'm known as DigaDo. Since "Diga" is a Panasonic logo I'm sure to feel like a fish out of water when posting in the Philips threads in the future.