What is your Favorite Sitcom of All-Time?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Two favorites that I should have included in my first post:

The Wonder Years -- Funny and touching, although the Kevin-Winnie romance in the later episodes started to wear on me. And it is my favorite Daniel Stern work post-Diner.

Buffalo Bill -- The anti-The Wonder Years? Dabney Coleman certainly had no warm-and-fuzzy to him. But there was Geena Davis.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I have just remembered my second favorite sitcom of all-time: the wonderful British series "George & Mildred". What a joy to watch! Yootha Joyce and Brian Murphy were really fantastic!!
vallo

Post by vallo »

Beside the great list that was posted previously. I'll add "The Odd Couple" certain shows I could watch over and over. I may know the punch line or what's next and still be entertained.

Bill (vallo)
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I loved the original Bob Newhart Show. My brother and I can also pretty much quote any scene from WKRP in Cincinnati. I like UK's Black Adder series and as ChiO mentioned, Senfield. There are others, but those are probably the main ones.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Bogie wrote:
WKRP in Cincinnati (I hope I spelled Cincy right!) - THE workplace comedy IMO. It's interesting how that show was shuffled up and down the lineup during its original run but has become a cult favourite since it's been off the air. Mr. Carlson was such a lovable befuddled guy especially in the Turkey Day episode but my favourite moment in regards to him was when he was given cocaine and he thought it was foot powder ROFL! Les Nessman was my hero as a kid. (I know i'm weird)
That's a good one! (Carlson: "I've got a monkey on my foot!") I also liked the fact they played real popular music. I've heard the DVD series contains other songs because they didn'y have copyrights to the songs they originaly used. They also edited many of the re-runs and took out material they thought would be offensive-- a real shame.

P.S. Ever notice Les had a bandage on his person in a different place every episode? :lol:
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Chris actually it's the Great Gazoo not Kazoo. I used to watch THE FLINTSTONES every day after school when I was a JK/SK kid :D I still watch the show from time to time and I agree, it went downhill fast once the Great Gazoo came into the picture.

Another great sitcom IMO was ALL IN THE FAMILY. That was cutting edge stuff back in the day but it was damn funny. A show wouldn't even be made today because of the controversial nature of the lead character. I heard that Carrol O'Connor was very much against the character but he played Archie so convincingly.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

My top ten:

Frasier
Fawlty Towers
The Dick Van Dyke Show
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
Everybody Loves Raymond
King of the Hill
All in the Family
Arrested Development
Blackadder
Green Acres/The Beverly Hillbillies (tie-both are true guilty pleasures)

Special mention: Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman, on the grounds that I don't know if you could call it a "sitcom" in the accepted sense.

-Stephen
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

Growing up, I loved "Get Smart", "All in the Family", and "Green Acres". I did watch "M*A*S*H" for a while, but grew sick of it, and didn't even watch the finale. My favorite is "Seinfeld", with a good explanation: I see myself in all four characters. Jerry's picky ways, George's laziness, Kramer's goofiness, and Elaine's mean streak can easily be found lurking somewhere deep in my psyche. I don't, however, watch the reruns. I'm always afraid that if I did, it would end up on top of my viewing trash heap along with "M*A*S*H". I do love "Green Acres" reruns, though.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Good afternoon all,

I've had an on and off affair with TV over the years. Mostly due to the incessant commercials which invariably ruin the shows (see AMC.) However there have been a few that left an indelible impression on me.

SOAP - The most comically absurd and fastest moving show that's ever aired.

STEAMBATH - A short lived series on Showtime based on the Broadway play about the afterlife. Unique isn't an adequate word to describe it.

ROCKY and BULLWINKLE - I loved it even though I never realized how over my head it was at the time it originally aired. Anything but a kid's show.

THE FLINTSTONES - Since "The Honeymooners" predated me by a few years, I never realized this was adapted directly from it. And what a job Hannah Barbera did.

M*A*S*H - But only to the point where McLean Stevenson left the show and Alan Alda started directing many of the episodes. Then it alternated between being ridiculous and being a soapbox for his own personal social issues (that's my take on it anyway.)

I guess I've always preferred dramatic series to sitcoms.

As always,

Hollis
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

Hollis, I place "Rocky and Bullwinkle" above all other television fare, sheer brilliance. I watched it every morning before school from first through third grade. I knew the context was over my head, but I always dragged out the dictionary and encyclopedia to figure out the references. "The Ruby Yacht of Omar Khayyam" has always stuck in my head.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hi Pat,

Then no doubt, after high school, you matriculated at "Whatsamotta U?"

As always,

Hollis
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

Yes, I studied under Mr. Peabody and helped develop the next generation WABAC machine.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

"Rocky and Bullwinkle" were great. It wasn't always great as a kid but when I got old enough to understand it it went to a whole different level.

A few years ago I watched the box set and was surprised at how much time the intros and fill between sketches there were. It isn't that obvious until you watch about 3 or 4 episodes in a row. THen you fast forward a lot.

I liked Dudley Do-right.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Mr. O'Brady wrote:Hollis, I place "Rocky and Bullwinkle" above all other television fare, sheer brilliance. I watched it every morning before school from first through third grade. I knew the context was over my head, but I always dragged out the dictionary and encyclopedia to figure out the references. "The Ruby Yacht of Omar Khayyam" has always stuck in my head.
Did you ever find a reference to "King Bushwick the Toidy-Toid?" I'll give you a hint: it has to do with Brooklyn.