What is your Favorite Sitcom of All-Time?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
cinemalover

What is your Favorite Sitcom of All-Time?

Post by cinemalover »

I grew up loving sitcoms, whether it was reruns of I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners or The Dick Van Dyke Show or then current hits like The Mary Tyler Moore Show, All in the Family or Newhart. I loved M*A*S*H and grew very fond of Cheers among many others. But about ten years ago I completely gave up on sitcoms and have no desire to even sample the current offerings.

As a kid I couldn't believe some of the things they were allowed to say on All in the Family and that shock value and subject matter certainly peeked my interest as it was some sort of forbidden fruit. As ground-breaking as it was it doesn't hold up very well for me today as it seems very much a product of its time.

I received the boxed set of I Love Lucy (the entire series) for Christmas and I am looking forward to cracking it open as I know that the humor of that show is timeless. M*A*S*H also is just as funny today as when I first watched it.

What are your favorite sitcoms and how have your feelings for them changed over the years?
Last edited by cinemalover on January 10th, 2008, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Even though I don't watch it every time it's on I think my favorite is "The Dick van Dyke" show. There was so much talent there. It was more than funny. There was singing and dancing as well. It was an unusual set up by setting it around a TV show. It was a good blend of work and home life. (So few shows seem to be able to capture this anymore.)

My guilty pleasure is "Soap." It's crazy. It walks a fine line between taking itself seriously and being too bizarre for words.

Both Bob Newhart shows and Mary Tyler Moore were very good.

I never "got" "Seinfeld" or "Friends." One of my brothers thinks I'm just weird on this matter.
Last edited by movieman1957 on January 8th, 2008, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

No contest. There are sitcoms that I like, and a few that I've gone so far as to buy on DVD (The Bob Newhart Show, Scrubs, The Simpsons, Futurama), but there's only one that I can watch over and over and never get sick of.

The incredibly absurdist humor of Green Acres was to me the finest sitcom of all time.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I suppose I Love Lucy was "imprinted" on me when I was a child, but it hasn't ever lost its appeal for me; I still find it very funny and entertaining. My daughter did a paper on Mary Tyler Moore (the show) for a college course, and bought two seasons' worth to watch. I was pleased to see that I did not find any of the episodes dated - they still make me laugh, as does Bob Newheart (the first show that is, I didn't care as much for the second, because I didn't like the woman who played his wife). I'm still happy to see rebroadcasts of Dick Van Dyke and M*A*S*H.

I agree with on Seinfeld. I don't like it, don't find it funny, and can't stand either the actors or their characters. I just don't get what people find so enchanting about it - there's no question in my mind that the idea of "humor" has changed over the years. ION is rerunning Drew Carey, and I frankly like it a lot better. I like the idea that there was an attempt to be a little innovative within the confines of a sitcom, and as the show went on different formats were used once in a while to keep things interesting.

Green Acres is a hoot and a half. For years I was telling my comedy-minded daughter about this show and how surreal it was, and when they finally started showing it again, she was surprised at how funny and sharp it could be. If only they'd show Petticoat Junction, so she could see the intended contrast.

I have found that there are not too many TVLand reruns that I like to watch, except maybe The Jeffersons once in a while. I don't enjoy All In The Family much any more, and I had stopped watching it early in its initial run. I got the idea after a few weeks; all right already. I've watched a lot of TV in my day, and I have fond memories of many, many sitcoms that I haven't seen in years. I'd like to see some of them just to find out how I would react to them now.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I suppose I Love Lucy was "imprinted" on me when I was a child, but it hasn't ever lost its appeal for me; I still find it very funny and entertaining. My daughter did a paper on Mary Tyler Moore (the show) for a college course, and bought two seasons' worth to watch. I was pleased to see that I did not find any of the episodes dated - they still make me laugh, as does Bob Newheart (the first show that is, I didn't care as much for the second, because I didn't like the woman who played his wife). I'm still happy to see rebroadcasts of Dick Van Dyke and M*A*S*H.

I agree with on Seinfeld. I don't like it, don't find it funny, and can't stand either the actors or their characters. I just don't get what people find so enchanting about it - there's no question in my mind that the idea of "humor" has changed over the years. ION is rerunning Drew Carey, and I frankly like it a lot better. I like the idea that there was an attempt to be a little innovative within the confines of a sitcom, and as the show went on different formats were used once in a while to keep things interesting.

Green Acres is a hoot and a half. For years I was telling my comedy-minded daughter about this show and how surreal it was, and when they finally started showing it again, she was surprised at how funny and sharp it could be. If only they'd show Petticoat Junction, so she could see the intended contrast.

I have found that there are not too many TVLand reruns that I like to watch, except maybe The Jeffersons once in a while. I don't enjoy All In The Family much any more, and I had stopped watching it early in its initial run. I got the idea after a few weeks; all right already. I've watched a lot of TV in my day, and I have fond memories of many, many sitcoms that I haven't seen in years. I'd like to see some of them just to find out how I would react to them now.
feaito

Post by feaito »

In my case it is undoubtedly "Bewitched", which was aired profusely in my country during my childhood. If any episode was being shown on TV, I had to stop doing everything else and concentrate on it. It was addictive. I love Liz Montgomery, but my absolutely favorite character is the disdainful Endora.
melwalton

sitcoms.

Post by melwalton »

Amos 'n' Andy. The actors, especially Moore, were perfectly cast.
Car 54, the British, No Honestly! and already mentioned Lucy, Van Dyck, Newhart and all in the family.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

I remember really enjoying I Dream of Jeannie as a child, though I don't think it had anything to do with the humor.
Chris

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Sgt. Bilko (aka You'll Never Get Rich and The Phil Silvers Show).
No, I wasn't old enough to remember it the first time it was on, but in repeats, it corrupted me completely from the age of five on. I've always loved con men ever since. Still seems funny to me. There was something about dear Phil, the great straight man, Paul Ford, Doberman (Maurice Gosfield) and the whole motley gang that just seems so funny to me. Oddly, it was one of the few programs--other than baseball, Firing Line, and Captain Kangaroo--that my parents seemed to favor.

Barney Miller used to make me laugh. Now maybe not.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Our family was both blessed and cursed with the first television set in the neighborhood back in 1949. I was too young to remember the details of the insanity it brought, but my older brother remembers all too well being pushed out of the line of vision by encroaching neighbors, clamboring for a good seat to watch the wrestling and roller derby matches, travelogues and occiasional B movies. As I grew older, my own proclivities ran toward sticoms. My favorites from the 50s were:
SGT. BILKO (aka 'You'll Never Get Rich") Nat Hiken's briliant peacetime army farce with the incomprable Phil Silvers was and (for me) still is the funniest show ever! There's an awesome DVD boxset of the best episodes available and I recommend it highly!
Other shows from the 50s that I loved were: TOPPER, THE ANN SOTHERN SHOW, I LOVE LUCY, THE HONEYMOONERS, LOVE THAT BOB and AMOS 'N ANDY.
The 60s had its fair share of faves as well: DOBIE GILLIS, CAR 54 (Nat Hiken again), BEVERLY HILLBILLIES (a pretty sharp satire once you got past the ridiculousness of it all), THE ADDAMS FAMILY, ANDY GRIFFITH, LEAVE IT TO BEAVER and DICK VAN DYKE. The Van Dyke show seems much darker to me now. As a teenager I thought of the Petries as the absolute perfect couple. Rob had the coolest job in the world and the prettiest wife imaginable. Then why, why I ask, was he such a grumpy guy? Watching it years later, Rob doesn't come off as such a terrific guy. Nonetheless, an extremely funny show!
I didn't watch much TV in the 70s so I don't really have any particular favorites from that period. CHEERS and TAXI were pretty funny, I thought, in the 80s and, yes, I'm a big SEINFELD fan. (Although I totally understand why many aren't). As for my favorite sitcom of the modern era: that honor would go (hands down) to THE SIMPSONS.
Here's a clip from SGT. BILKO (Moira, it looks as if our posts passed each other in cyber space at roughly the same time!):
[youtube][/youtube]
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Moira:

Your mentioning "Barney Miller" and your reaction made me think that 70's shows were so -- 70s. They are so of that time that they couldn't (as a group) seem to work later. (However, that is exactly why I find the spoof "That 70's Show" funny. I was a teenager in that time.) I know I mentioned "Soap" as one of my favorites but it doesn't seem so dated. Maybe the fact I find it funny takes away some of that sense of time.

Jon:

You mentioned "Green Acres" and I had forgotten about it. It was funny. Oliver Douglas was lost in a world of dimwits who thought he was the craziest thing to ever come along. What a sweet voice Eva Gabor had. Just the way she sang "Ol-li-ver" was worth the listening.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Dewey,
Love that Phil Silvers!! The only time I've seen him come close to his comic verve in a movie was A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. According to a profile of Phil on the Biography Channel, the poor man was experiencing terrible health problems then, but I'd never know it.

Even the filmed stage show of Top Banana, a Broadway hit that was based on Silvers' burlesque background, didn't catch his uniquely funny approach to a comic line.

Thanks for reminding me of the great show, Taxi, which does hold up pretty well, especially the character of (Rev.) Jim Ignatowski (the brilliant Christopher Lloyd), who reminded me of a few gentle burn-outs from my college days. Living lessons in why you should stay away from drugs, kids!!

Mel,
Did you know that Nat Hiken was the brilliant mind behind both Bilko and Car 54, Where Are You? There's a good bio out about Hiken called King of the Half Hour: Nat Hiken and the Golden Age of TV Comedy by David Everitt. I'd love to find a copy (a cheap copy, that is!). Since Car 54, Where Are You? was on tv during one of my parents "tv-is-an-insult-to-your-intelligence" periods, I'm not as familiar with it as I'd like to be, though I love Al Lewis & Joe E. Ross' shtick, and the theme song, which you can listen to here...
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/sounds/car ... areyou.wav

Friends have told me that both Bilko and Car 54 used to be shown on TVLand. Is this true? What made them stop airing them? Was it some vast conspiracy on the part of those "evil" acolytes of all things Andy Griffith? :roll:

Chris,
I'm aware of That '70s Show, but having lived it, I'd rather not repeat it in any way. I think the real strength of Barney Miller were the character actors who enriched the program, especially such wonderful guys as James Gregory, Ron Carey, and the very droll Jack Soo.

Danny Arnold and Noam Pitlik, who were driving forces behind the scenes really helped give it alot of grounded humor as well. Cops have told me that Barney Miller was a lot closer to mirroring the reality of police life, with its tragi-comic boredom and futility punctuated with bursts of violence and heroism. Nice ensemble show, well worth seeing again. One of the reasons that I suspect that I may not find it as funny now is that it was one of the few programs that I ever watched with my late father as he was dying. I always wished I could've told some of the people involved how much the laughter it gave him meant to me. That aspect of my memory of Barney Miller is consequently colored by the circumstances when I first viewed it, which is why I'd probably not find it as humorous now.

I'm glad to hear that several of these shows are on dvd!!

Btw, Dewey,
As much as I love Ann Sothern, I recently perused dvds of her show Private Secretary and found it quite painful to watch--though Annie was always wonderful. I think I'll stick with the occasional Maisie marathon and look out for Lady Be Good, April Showers, and Letter to Three Wives showings...
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
bradtexasranger

Post by bradtexasranger »

I Love Lucy is one sitcom I could never tire of seeing. Almost like "comfort TV"

Of the more modern sitcoms, Everybody Loves Raymond is one of my favorites. The dialougue and situations just seem more believable than in most sitcoms.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

I had soft spots for both The Addams Family and The Munsters. Growing up it was always tough to determine which I enjoyed most, usually it came down to whichever I had watched most recently. The amazing thing to me is that it seemed like those two shows were on television for a long run, yet each only lasted two seasons.
Chris

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I cannot tell a lie, and it always amazes me that so many people do when asked, because nobody admits to watching, so I am constantly confused as to how in the world Friends stayed in #1 spot, and in the top 10 for the entire 10 years it was on.

I freely admit I loved Friends, but again, that is too new. Howver, I can tune into the little town of Mayberry, RFD any time and be entertained, during all of its' many transitions. I guess I just adored little Opie, and again later as Richie on Happy Days.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************