Who was the best TV "Private Detective"?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
cinemalover

Who was the best TV "Private Detective"?

Post by cinemalover »

Oh, those television private detectives, they were almost always smarter than anyone on the police force in their cities. They came in all shapes and sizes, even most age brackets were represented at some point. There were handicapped detectives, detectives that were former cops and some that were former criminals. Who was your favorite detective or P.I. (private investigator) on the small screen? Who was the most outrageous, or who was the closest to what you'd consider reality?
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Without a doubt, my all-time favorite private-eye show was (and is) JOHNNY STACCATO. The incredible John Cassavetes starred in this short-lived (1959-60) private eye drama as the title character, a one-time Greenwich Village jazz musician now working as a private eye, headquartering himself at Waldo's, a hip jazz club run by Eduardo Ciannelli (as Waldo). Elmer Bernstein composed the riveting theme music. On any given episode the "house band" might include Johnny Williams (yes, that John Williams), Red Mitchell, Ray Brown, Barney Kessel and Shelly Manne. In addition to starring, Cassavetes also directed a handful of the 27 total episodes. Guest stars included Gena Rowlands, Charles McGraw, Cloris Leachman, Anthony Zerbe, Elisha Cook Jr, Paul Stewart, Elizabeth Montgomery, Mary Tyler Moore & many others! The services of such cinematographers as Lionel Lindon ("Manchurian Candidate") and Ben Kline ("Detour") were used to excellent advantage. One of my favorite episodes was titled "The Wild Reed" guest-starring Harry Guardino as a heroin-addicted jazz musician buddy of Johnny's. This is TV Noir at its absolute best! Lots of VHS tapes and now DVDs are floating around on eBay with varying quality, depending on the original source material. MCA, the rights holder, has yet to issue an official set. Check it out if you can! You won't regret it!!
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Wasn't Maxwell Smart the best? He had a shoe phone, the cone of silence and 99! By the way, Hollywood is trying something new: they're making a movie of this old television show. What? Hollywood does this all the time, and to bad end? Bewitched Scooby-Doo Flintstones Well, I think Steve Carrell will make a fine Agent 86, but Anne Hathaway as 99? I like Anne enough... but taking the place of velvet voiced Barbara Feldon? If they bring Feldon on in a cameo, I might forgive them...
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I'm not sure of the best PI but the one I most liked to watch was Jim Rockford.

There were only a million on TV but he seemed to be an average type guy. He avoided fights when he could. Was loyal to "Angel" beyond all expectations. Loved his Firebird. Lived in a parking lot. Knew his way around. Deeply cared for "Beth" even if it was never more than a friendship.

The coolest car belonged to "Mannix."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Dewey,
I've never seen Johnny Staccato, but he sure sounds cool. How does he stack up against Peter Gunn? Any similarities?

Chris,
The Rockford Files was great. I've always loved James Garner in just about anything he's in.
Chris

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Jim Rockford was the coolest, but he's too new. IMHO TV had a golden age, just like the movies did. That age was the 50's and 60's, and it was when you could see ANYTHING you wanted to see. PI's, westerns, comedies, sci-fi, dramas, and mysteries - and all of it on 3 or 4 network stations with no more boosters than an antenna.

During this golden age, we had a couple of seasons where P.I.'s were king, just like one where Westerns were king, and another with comedy, but during the P.I. age, the best were Jeff Spencer and Stu Bailey with Kookie on the 77 Sunset Strip. Jeff and Stu were good looking, funny, and sexy along with their heart throb parking attendant, Kookie, they solved murders, thefts, and miscellaneous threats every week, while we went back for more and more.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Hi Anne,
77 Sunset Strip also had the coolest title track. I enjoyed the other Warner Brother's detective shows of the time also, Bourbon Street Beat (another great title track) which only lasted for one 39 episode season with Andrew Duggan, Richard Long and Van Williams (later known as the Green Hornet). There was also Hawaiian Eye with Anthony Eisley, Connie Stevens, Robert Conrad (my favorite from the Wild, Wild West) and who could forget Poncie Ponce?. Last but not least was Surfside Six with Van Williams (again) and Troy Donahue. All four quality shows with wonderful casts, memorable guest stars and great music.
Chris

Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Chris remarked: "I've never seen Johnny Staccato, but he sure sounds cool. How does he stack up against Peter Gunn? Any similarities?"

Apart from the jazz-influenced musical interludes and the film noir ambience, the shows really aren't all that similar. PETER GUNN was a much smoother and slicker (albeit terrific) show and had the added benefit of developing its character over several seasons. STACCATO unfortunately was cancelled after only one season. The show also tackled many social issues (drug addiction, bigotry) and had a decidedly "adult" feel and a defiantly downbeat tone. STACCATO also gave the appearance of being filmed on the run, with a somewhat jagged and jazzy syncopation to its editorial flow. It's not too surprising that Cassavettes agreed to do this show in the first place primarily to finance his first feature as a director, SHADOWS, one of the first (and best) truly independent American films. In fact, STACCATO shares more in common with SHADOWS (as well as numerous other Cassavettes films) than it does with PETER GUNN or any of the other private eye shows of the period.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

When most of the abovementioned detective shows were broadcast, I was a young girl, and not very interested in such things. I recall looking in on the Warner Bros. shows mentioned - 77 Sunset Strip, Surfside Six and Hawaiian Eye -- because of the "cute" actors (and Connie Stevens on Hawaiian Eye - Brooklyn girl, you know, and her name was "Cricket" on the show - wow!). I wasn't too interested in Bourbon Street Beat (same producers, I think), which seemed to me to be an afterthought and not as good as the others.

I think I preferred Perry Mason when I was younger -- although it was ostensibly a courtroom drama, there was an element of detective work involved. In later times, I enjoyed Columbo, mostly for the interesting device of showing the viewer right at the start whodunit, and then watching Columbo figure it out. Then of course there was the class element involved -- working class shlub makes sure upper class criminal gets his comeuppance. Peter Falk's portrayal is always interesting to watch. I find Monk very similar, although of course he is Columbo's opposite in behaviorial tics. But of the episodes I've seen, the perpetrator has always been a figure of wealth and/or authority, and Monk, never taken seriously at first, finds the fatal flaw that gives that person away.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Chris,

I'm with you on Jim Rockford. He by far was the coolest of the later generation PIs.

Mannix was good but not as cool as Jim Rockford. Plus, Rockford used some great Los Angeles locations as backdrops. Mannix did have a cool car and he did have Peggy as his secretary. But Rockford had his dad, Rocky and Beth.
Can't beat that.

Also, I liked George Peppard as Banacek and Richard Boone as Hec Ramsey.

Oh and Ironside. I loved Raymond Burr as Ironside.

Ah, the NBC Mystery wheel where each week was a different show:
Banacek, McMillian and Wife, McCloud, etc.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I wish I could say Johnny Staccato because I am such an admirer of John Cassavetes, but, alas, I never saw it. I guess that leaves Jim Rockford in The Rockford Files. Between Maverick and The Rockford Files, Jim Garner was the coolest guy ever to have a leading role on a TV show who wasn't named Steve McQueen (Wanted: Dead or Alive). And he could sure take a punch.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Harry O was what I would call most realistic. It's not my favorite, though, I'm really not sure just which one is my favorite. I would have to see more of them, and I think in some ways I prefer cop shows because when I think of my favorite TV detectives they tend to be on the force. In the modern era I have grown to like Magnum P.I.

My mom loved Barnaby Jones.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

The NBC Mystery Wheel is a great memory. Three quality shows, no matter which one showed up you couldn't lose. I remember, in what might have been the premiere episode of McMillan, a bicycle chase around the hills of San Francisco (I think that's where the show was set) that we talked about at school for weeks after the show. It was a very dynamic chase scene and unique because it didn't depend on cars.
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Would Hart to Hart qualify? I love that show!