John Adams Miniseries

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

Laura Linney took home Best Actress for John Adams and I hope you saw the moment between Tom Hanks and Sally Field when he accepted the best mini-series award from Sally. "Thanks, mom". He has great timing.

As for Mad Men I was thrilled with the awards it won though I was very surprised to see Brian Cranston win for Breaking Bad over Jon Hamm. But Cranston has the showier role.

As for Damages, Zeljko Ivanek who played Ted Danson's attorney took home best supporting actor in an upset because most of the money was on Danson to win.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

lzcutter:

Thank you for the info. The Zeljko and Laura Emmys must have been given out early in the show. As I said, I missed the first hour, but I'm thrilled Laura got hers, - that makes three of my choices as winners (including Glenn Close and Paul Giamatti).

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: John Adams Miniseries

Post by movieman1957 »

Having seen it again this month it is still as impressive as the first time. The authenticity of the sets, costumes and details is something I think is now reserved for the miniseries. Watching the "making of" segment it is a wonder how much of the background is computer generated. To my eyes it was amazingly unobtrusive and real.

It is as much love story as history lesson. In their greatness and in their work they are also ordinary men. They are incapable of stopping life just because they are who they are. Adams personal tragedies takes no care as to his position. He cries for his children with the same fervor as he fights for our independence.

It's worth anyone's time.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Last edited by Professional Tourist on January 20th, 2012, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I've heard nothing but praise for this show. Haven't seen it. To respond to remarks from 2008, Laura Linney is never less than wonderful. She's one of the most committed actors around. For a few years, David Morse was in simply everything. I felt as if I rarely saw a movie without him in it!

Glancing at the title of this thread, I at first thought it was THE JOHN ADAMS MYSTERIES! "And so you see, ladies and gentlemen, the murderer was...KING GEORGE!"
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I should get this series from the library. I believe it's all on one disc. I liked Giamatti in AMERICAN SPLENDOR. He was intense, but good.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

"Adams" is on three discs in the official release.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."