PBS Mystery

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

This definitely wasn't the best one of the series, but I can watch MichaelKitchen and those wonderful eyebrows of his any day. :oops:
I love to watch him listen to absolute dreck from suspects, and then slowly and succinctly tell them they're finished. His anger is so hidden, you almost think he's missing it.....nah.

Can you tell I rather like Michael Kitchen and his series???
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Last night was "Broken Souls," the second of the final "Foyle's War" series.

My wife hated it from a couple of minutes in, but I thought that this was one of the best "Foyle's" ever. It had interesting characters, a crime that kept you guessing, interesting background, and a tragic sense of waste that reminded me of some of the best "Inspector Morse" episodes. I loved the actor who played Novak. he made it heartbreaking.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Was Novak the professor who taught Foyle the game of chess? I kept looking at him, trying to figure out where I'd seen him before. Was he the killer in the parking garage in "Pelican Brief"? I kept seeing him as a vicious character, and this role was absolutely breathtaking. I've never seen an actor actually look as stricken as he did.
I agree, Mike, this is one of the best of the entire series. The interweaving of the plots was incredible. Michael Kitchen must be a very generous actor, because he isn't always front and center, and that alone makes the series worth watching to me. Allowing the others to shine makes his role even better.

Is Phyllida Law Emma Thompson's mother? She was lovely in her few scenes, wasn't she?
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Yes, Novak was the chess player. I too felt I had seen him before, but he reminded me so much of a former professor I had that I couldn't really place him in a movie or TV show.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I watched the final "Foyle's War" sunday night, and it was a good end to the series. It wasn't a great episode, but it tied up the loose ends, brought back some of the memorable bit players, and closed things up in a satisfactory way.

So I'd say the second episode was the best, then the third, and then the first.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I've now seen a couple of the "Midsomer Murders." They are a bit calmer than the other shows. The people of this county are somewhat eccentric and that adds to the charm but also the unusual character of the crimes. (At least so far.)

John Nettles is quite likeable and there is a nice back story of his family. I'll be watching some more so if any of you are fans and have a favorite episode I'd love to hear it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Chris, Midsomer Murders is based on the Inspector Barnaby series by the English novelist and screenwriter Caroline Graham. Those books are very good reads. The Inspector Barnaby series is, in turn very like the Inspector Wexford series (which began 20 years before the Barnaby series) written by the even more excellent English crime writer Ruth Rendell. I believe there is at least one made for TV movie of a Wexford mystery, but I don't recall ever seeing it here in the US.

British mysteries are my favorite genre, and I recommend both these series to mystery lovers.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

They showed the first of the last two "Inspector Lynley Mysteries" last night.

I run hot and cold on "Lynley." I like Nathaniel Parker as an actor very much, but the show itself has never consistently been one of my favorites. Sometimes they have done an excellent episode, such as "Playing for the Ashes" several years ago, and sometimes (such as all of last season) they seem to fall short of the mark for me.

Anyway, last night was one of the best Lynley's ever, even if I guessed who did it shortly after he first appeared. This one moved quickly, had good performances, and just grabbed me in a way that few of the episodes ever had.

I know that the TV series has abandoned the novels a while ago. However, I wonder how the novels of Elizabeth George are regarded in Britain. She is an American who writes British mysteries, as does Martha Grimes. Do the British like these authors, or do they find their work ludicrous?
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

There has been talk, but only talk that Honeysuckle Weekes, as driver Sam, would like to make a sequel to Foyle's War, setting the story in the 60s with her in the title role.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I watched the last "Inspector Lynley" last night: "Know Thine Enemy." It was very good and made me sorry there will be no more Lynley episodes. It seems to me that once they got rid of Helen (Lynley's love interest, then wife, then ex-wife,) the show got better. Really, I didn't like any of the four episodes they showed last week.

Interestingly, given the last post, Honeysuckle Weeks was in this last Lynley in a very different kind of role.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I saw the first Foyle's War and I'm not sure it qualifies as great mystery but it is as interesting as many of the others.

Nancy is right about Michael Kitchen. He is very good in the part. he is direct without being rude, blunt without being overbearing. His being calmness seems to disarm people.

I find the war aspect adds an interesting angle to the film. It seems fairly typical in its setup by presenting several suspects up front and then let you guess along.

Looking forward to more.
Chris

stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Movieman

John Nettles in the UK was famous for two cop shows. One was Midsumer Murders, the other is this video clip. It's set and was shot on location in Jersey

[youtube][/youtube][/url]
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Recently I watched a Brit Doc called The Perfect Detective, where a series of clips where shown of British detectives in action with celebs on hand to give their views and votes

Frost was mentioned
Johnathon Creek, played by Alan Davies, who's a magician's assistant, who solves murders
Taggart was noted for its realism. for example it's unrealistic to believe that Morse's Oxford and Barnaby's Midsummer have the same scale of murders as the Bronx, it's believable in Glasgow.

However, in the Doc it was Morse and Sherlock Homles, as played by Jeremy Brent the got the two top votes, with Morse winning out at the end

PS Morse creator has it written in his will that after his death no other actor will be allowed to play Morse, as he believes the role is totally John Thaw's. It's funny, because Thaw's other great cop role, Jack Regan in The Sweeney is about to be reprised by Ray Winston in an up-coming movie
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Here's a video of the introduction of Taggart at its height with the late Mark McManus as Jim Taggart and James McPherson a side kick Michael Jardine. I wasn't able to find a clip worth showing, but I hope the credits still manages to give a feel to the city of Glasgow. The show continues with only Blyth Duff remaining from the McManus era.

[youtube][/youtube]
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: PBS Mystery

Post by movieman1957 »

Here's an old one to dig up but I thought I might share some more of what I have come across lately.

"Inspector Lewis" is pretty good. I like "James Hathaway" as he adds a whole different angle to Lewis' character. I've enjoyed the budding romance with the lady who is the medical examiner. Lewis is getting tougher with his boss and has become more dominant in his role. He and Hathaway are developing into a nice pairing. The stories can be a little odd but I like the way the cast works.

I caught an episode of the new "Wallander." (Carolann has seen at least two.) They are interesting as Kenneth Branagh plays a kind of "washed up" type detective set in Sweden. He is unshaven and almost has "I haven't slept in a week" look to him. He's wounded but good at his job. I need to watch the others that are now available on Netflix.

Making my way through "Foyle's War." We love them. Would watch them all straight in a row but there are other things to do.

"Wire In The Blood" is still great and very intense. We are into the third season where they have replaced "Carolyn" but as much as we liked her the first episode with the new DCI is good also.

So much great TV and so little time.
Chris