PBS Mystery

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I've seen and enjoyed about two of the later seasons of "Waking the Dead" on BBC America. Trevor Eve is very good. I first noticed him as the hero of "Heat of the Sun," which was shown on PBS several years ago.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

In the 50s we had Dixon Of Dock Green with Jack Warner reprising his role of P.C George Dixon in The Blue Lamp. Unlike the hard hitting film film, the series to begin with had a softer approach, thought to be more appropriate in the 1950s.

However, in 1963 came the hard hitting Z-Cars, the first U.K cop show to show policemen as flawed human beings. Jermey Kemp (My Darling Lili), in his big break, played a cop, who beat up his wife. The show starred Stradford Johns (Cromwell)as Inspector Charlie Barlow, Frank Windsor as Det Sargeant John Watt. Among the Z-Car drivers played by James Eliss, Colin Welland (who wrote Chariots Of Fire) and another well known Brit character actor Brian Blessed.

Z-Cars inspired a number of sequels, starring again Johns and Windsor in Softly Softly and Softly Softly Task Force. in this series was Norman Bowler and regular Bond actor Walter Gotlell as their boss. Stradford Johns also did the follow up series Barlow.

Dixon was still being made at this time with the now Sargeant Dixon (not bad for an actor over 80), as was Z-Cars with Ellis still in the show, having risen to the rank of Inspector. 'Dixon' IMO toughened up its act to try and match Z-Cars, but I also think ZCs softened up to the point it was difficult to see any difference between the two shows.

Unlike other Cop show Gideon's Way which was shot on film, these two were filmed in tv studios, sometimes live!
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

I finally sat down and watched the new Inspector Lewis show (the first episode). He's a spin-off form the long-running and very popular Inspector Morse series.

Morse was a very crotchety, set-in-his-ways old school inspector. He could be very terse with his fellow authorities as well with suspects that rubbed him the wrong way. Lewis, as his partner, was the vanilla-personality to contrast with. They have tried to give Lewis a bit of a tougher edge and personality now that he's carrying the show and is the lead inspector. In some ways it works, and in some ways he's hard to envision as more than the second banana. As noticed earlier on this thread, the first episode wasn't bad, it just wasn't inspiring so that I felt a copmpulsive need to see the next episode.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I have watched the first 2 episodes, and I rather like Lewis. He seems like a wounded soul trying to make his way in a world that would take his wife in a senseless, unsolved hit and run death. Can anyone shed some light on Laurance (sp?) Fox? He has a marvelous voice, seems like I've heard it many times before, but just can't place it or him. Information, please!!!!

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Nancy

Laurence Fox is the husband of Doctor Who girl Billie Piper, who has just made a great comeback in the show. She also starred with villain Julie Walters in the Victorian thriller The Ruby And The Smoke
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

ok, but that doesn't tell me a thing about HIM...what has he been in, what voice overs has he done ( I know I've heard that voice before)
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

imdb.com doesn't say much more than he is the son of James Fox and nephew of Edward Fox.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0289114/
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

James Fox is one of my favorite Brit actors. I think I may have fallen in love with "Jimmy" in Thoroughly Modern Millie He was excellent as Ned in The Russia House,and as the "Royal" in Patriot Games. Now do I feel really OLD...his SON?????:shock: :shock: :shock: I think I'll shuffle off to my rockin chair now..... Thanks, Chris. I think. :roll: :roll:
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I watched the second "Inspector Lewis" last night. It was called "Old School Ties" and was much better than the first episode, although it was not as good as most of the old "Inspector Morse" episodes.

I liked the actor who played the murder victim/computer hacker, and the actress who played his wife/Lewis' old flame was also good. Laurence Fox was terrific as Hathaway, but I'm not sure Lewis himself is that interesting to me.

Also, I wonder if these are edited down to fit the 90 minute PBS time slot.

Also, I could lose the "host" of PBS mystery. Who is he and what connection does he have to anything mystery?
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Mike, Alan Cumming was the super bad computer whiz in the James Bond Golden Eye. I believe he was Mr. Elton in Emma (the Gwyneth Paltrow version)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Allan Cumming. I went to the PBS web site and I can't tell you what qualifies him but if you saw the Bond film "Goldeneye" he played the Russian computer programmer/bad guy.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I've recently watched three made for TV movies starring David Suchet as Hercule Poirot. They are all from 2005: "Mystery of the Blue Train," "After the Funeral" and "Cards on the Table."

"Blue Train" was good, but "After the Funeral" and "Cards on the Table" were great. I really can't say enough about "Cards on the Table." It had a terrific cast, was cleverly constructed, and I really wanted to find out who done it.

These were all co-production of the A & E network. I thought A & E was just true crime documentaries now and I haven't watched it in years. These three shows were miles better than the new "Miss Marples" on PBS Mystery.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I watched the third "Inspector Lewis" last night and liked it. Perhaps a bit too many coincidences for my taste, but I have to say that it was well done. So two wins and one loss for the "Inspector Lewis" season.

On to "Foyle's War" next Sunday!
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Thanks for the update Mike. I have recorded the second and third episode but haven't watched them yet. Good to know that they're winners.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Last night was the first of the final season of "Foyle's War."

It was okay. I liked the interplay between Foyle, Milner and Sam far more than the actual mystery they solved. But then, that has typically been my problem with Foyle's War. Each episode seems to take a topic about WWII, the internment of aliens, gasoline rationing, the billeting of Americans, controversy over area bombing, and then a mystery is jerrybuilt around the topic. The mystery last night seemed rather flimsy. All it needed was for Michael Kitchen to ask people some questions and everything fell into place.

Or that's how it seemed to me. What about you?