PBS Mystery

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
MikeBSG

PBS Mystery

Post by MikeBSG »

Since the new season of "Mystery" starts on PBS Sunday night, June 22nd, I thought I'd open a thread.

This season begins with "Inspector Lewis," the follow-up to the very successful "Inspector Morse" series of previous decades, followed by the concluding episodes of "Foyle's War" and "Inspector Lynley Mysteries."

And then, in late August, the series plunges back into reruns.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Today's Wall Street Journal does a little write up on the Inspector Lewis episode. His new partner is apparently more educated than him but Lewis now has a harder edge to his character. I've seen about a dozen "Morse" episodes through the years and was happier when Lewis was less bumbling.

By way of DVD I started the "Midsommer Murders" series. First entry was ok. Looking forward to seeing more to learn more about the characters.

Any thoughts on "Lynley" or "Foyle" as I haven't seen either of these series.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Foyle's War is a great series. Michael Kitchen (sigh) is so very good as Inspector Foyle. Chris, I think you would really like this series, he is low key but very smart, and very honest. In fact, so honest he quit his position in the last episode of the season last year. Wish this was going to be an ongoing series, it is intelligent, witty, and a window into a world we have read about but rarely seen portrayed in this manner.

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I haven't yet seen Foyle, but will watch for it. I generally prefer British mysteries to all others, and the mystery is my favorite literary genre.

I haven't liked the Inspector Lynley series too much because I can't match the actor to the character described in Elizabeth George's books. I do like his assistant, the Barbara Havers character, somewhat better, although I don't think she's much like the character in the book (they rarely are in the TV versions).

However -- after having read the last Lynley mystery "What Came Before He Shot Her," I am off Lynley and author George forever. It was the most blatant manipulation of character to suit the plot I've read in years, and Lynley himself should be shot for his behavior in that book. Ugh. Disgraceful. I can't reveal my beef here since it would give away the essence of the book, and many of you may be wanting to read it.

I've enjoyed Inspector Morse, although John Thaw is about a thousand times nicer than the Morse of the books. I haven't seen the spinoff yet. I'm very fond of Midsommer Murders - lots of pretty homes and countryside, and the usual nest of vipers within.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Judith, Michael Kitchen is so good as a man wanting to be part of the war effort, and held back because of his position. His frustration with the administration and their condescension of his position is well done. He's a little like "Columbo" in that he's much smarter and much more low key than the villains he catches. I think you'll like it.

Nancy
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Nancy, I love the way the Inspector Foyle character as played by Michael Kitchen always seems to have so much on his mind, and not necessarily police work. You can see how observant his character is about all the class and wartime tensions, longings and doubts of his fellow human beings. Kitchen (and yes *sigh* is the word, ever since first sighting him as Finch-Hatton's doomed friend in Out of Africa) gives one of the best watchful performances in his not so tidy mysteries.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I love "Inspector Morse" so much---it's my favorite of all the British detective series by far. I've heard good things of the follow up, but I doubt I'll get into it that much because John Thaw was the main reason I enjoyed the original so much.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Apparently the three episodes of "Foyle's War" this summer will be the last of that series, and the two episodes of "Lynley" will be the last of that series. ( I think the "Lynley" TV series stopped following the novels a couple of years ago.)
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

No, those Inspector Lynleys don't do a thing for me.

I am very curious to see the new Miss Marple. Also, the No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency series is in production. I wonder what's going to be done with that franchise, in which the mystery element is secondary to the characters and their inner thoughts.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I watched the first Lewis: "Whom the Gods Would Destroy" and was unimpressed. I started fighting off sleep about 45 minutes into the film. It was nice to see Anna Massey again, and Laurence Fox was interesting as Lewis' sidekick, but this just struck me as mediocre.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Mike,
I recorded it last night just in case. Is it not worth the time?
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

MikeBSG wrote:Apparently the three episodes of "Foyle's War" this summer will be the last of that series
Worst news of the day! His series should be ongoing, not ending. PHOOEY! :(
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I don't want to say that last night's "Inspector Lewis" is not worth the time. My wife liked it more than I did, but she said it was average at best. Maybe the series is still finding its legs. There was one scene with Laurence Fox in which he had to call a phone sex worker that is terrific, and Anna Massey is always very good.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I've mistakingly started a thread under dramas, called Recent British Cop shows. I want to apoligise to Mike for accidently stealing his thunder.

Three I mentioned on my thread that I haven't seen here, because I assume they didn't reach the U.S are

New Tricks IMO is the best of the bunch starring Amanda Redman as a policewoman in charge of 3 ex-coppers Dennis Waterman (The Sweeney), Alun Armstrong (Braveheart and Patriot Games)and James Bollam (When The Boat Comes In) solving closed cases. It's a great mixture of comedy and drama

Taggart is set in Glasgow. It starred Mark McManus (Sam) as Jim Taggart, James McPherson as Michael Jardine and Blyth Duff as Jackie Reid. Even after McManus died the show remained Taggart and when Jardine was killed off it left Jackie, her new boss Burke, played by Alex Norton (Patriot Games) and a new team to solve new murders

Waking The Dead stars Trevor Eve, Sue Johnson (The Royal Family and Brassed Off)and Tara Fitzgerald (Brassed Off) play a team of coppers and medical people, who solve old murders using up to date medical methods. It's like Quincy meets The Sweeney, mixing action and medicine.

PS Laurence Fox is the husband of Doctor Who girl Billie Piper
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm ashamed :oops: , here you all are watching British cop dramas and I've seen a couple of episodes of Morse, some Cracker and no Midsommer Murders or Foyles War although I've always thought Foyles War looked quite good.

I've always been the kind person who gets into something when it isn't fashionable anymore :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin