"Lost" Movies Found on YouTube

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Jezebel38

Re: "Lost" Movies Found on YouTube

Post by Jezebel38 »

I've been hunting around on Youtube again - gosh there are so many titles one can find if you dig deep. Anyway I came upon this one that our Movieman1957 mentioned a while back - here's Bob and Kate:

[youtube][/youtube]
moira finnie
Administrator

The Deep Blue Sea (1955-Anatole Litvak) with Vivien Leigh

Post by moira finnie »

The Deep Blue Sea (1955-Anatole Litvak) with Vivien Leigh, Kenneth More, Eric Portman and Emlyn Williams. Not a great print, but not broadcast in years and not available on DVD. Who knows how long it will be on youtube?

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thanks to you, Moira, for this thread and all who contribute to it. I think it's a fantastic idea and I like to keep track of what you all find.

If anyone can locate The Covered Wagon (1923), I'm really interested in seeing that one.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

How does this old stuff get on here?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

movieman1957 wrote:How does this old stuff get on here?
I'm not sure what you may mean, Chris, so here are two explanations

If you mean how does a youtube video appear here on the SSO, I go to youtube, copy the address of the clip I want to post and using the youtube feature that Jon so kindly added to our site, highlight that address within my post and then click submit.

If you mean how does stuff get posted on youtube, people take their video/dvd, make an AVI or MGEP file out of it (using shareware or software allowing this that may be on their computer) and upload it onto youtube in ten minute segments. There is a lot out there that is in the public domain or that has fallen through the cracks in copyright, and there are some less scrupulous posters who will upload other stuff, regardless of legal status. The latter generally gets caught and removed eventually. You can see the basics of uploading a movie to youtube here from that site.

Is that what you meant?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

movieman1957 wrote:How does this old stuff get on here?

Your question made me giggle, Chris! Do you mean you've forgotten the SSO's raison d'etre is to post "old stuff on here"? :D :D :D

I'm teasing mon ami. :wink:
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I really meant to ask how those old things get on Youtube but lately I seem to lead the league in screwing up my posts.

Glad I made you giggle though. That makes a productive day.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Whew! I thought you were referring to me! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I moved this from the Russian thread, so as not to cause confusion (and yes, it is OOP and therefore currently lost):

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich (1970)
[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Frank Borzage's Living on Velvet (1935) with Kay Francis, George Brent & Warren William does not appear to be commercially available anywhere and is rarely broadcast. Given our recent interest on these boards in Frank Borzage, I thought that I'd take the time to post this film from Youtube.

An aviator loses his family in a crash and becomes recklessly eccentric while falling in love and getting married; his loving wife tries to help him. Noteworthy for its portrayal of the Depression era fatalism toward life as well as a better than average performance from George Brent and the director's palpable sympathy for his characters.

A great premise, a beautifully staged first meeting by the principals, and an intriguing philosophical problem about the transcendence of love over the material world as well as past experience are never completely fulfilled by the screenplay, despite the involvement of Jerry Wald, Julius Epstein and Edward Chodorov. I must admit that I kept thinking how different this film would have been with Margaret Sullavan.

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

The Doorway to Hell (1930) with Lew Ayres & James Cagney

Post by moira finnie »

The Doorway to Hell (1930-Archie Mayo) with Lew Ayres & James Cagney. It was meant as a follow up to All Quiet on the Western Front for Ayres, but a certain Mr. Cagney just had to step in front of the camera for that plan to go awry. Dwight Frye is especially memorable as a gunman, as is Ayres last scene. Strange that any film with the name of Cagney attached is not on dvd, but true.

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Angel (1937-Ernst Lubitsch)

Post by moira finnie »

Angel (1937-Ernst Lubitsch) with Marlene Dietrich, Melvyn Douglas, and Herbert Marshall get lost in a wealth of Lubitsch touches about marriage and fidelity.

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

It's not perfect, but Kiss the Blood Off My Hands (1948) is a pretty good noir with Burt Lancaster, Joan Fontaine, and Robert Newton is on youtube for the moment--even if it has one of the worst titles of all time. Enjoy and get it while it's hot. It might disappear tomorrow. Maybe Norman Foster's finest moment as a director...who was not just the ex-Mr. Claudette Colbert.
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Moira, I'm going to try to watch *Kiss the Blood Off My My Hands*, I've heard about it for years but never saw it.

I found one of my favorite Howard Hawks movies online...it's only available on a French DVD as far as I know, and I've never seen it air on TCM but I may be forgetful on that. Anyway, it's somewhat atypical Hawks because it is mostly played serious and for tragedy. There is humor throughout, but more subtle than in his later films. The Hawksian personality stamp as we know it is not as well developed yet, but it is still a wonderfully moving film and one that he evidently felt some connection to, as this is the remake of his own earlier silent version. I find it a combination of Casablanca, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and the very last scene reminds me of the end of Fort Apache. Warner Baxter gives a moving performance and I have never seen Gregory Ratoff do better. See what you think:

THE ROAD TO GLORY (1936)

[youtube][/youtube]
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi, Miss G.
Thanks very much for posting the link to The Road to Glory! I found another and better print of Kiss the Blood Off My Hands with the entire movie (1:19) in one video and have updated the original post to show this video. I began watching The Road to Glory last week after discovering it online along with a poster who has a channel devoted to full length versions of Fredric March's early films, found here. I think that The Road to Glory shows Warner Baxter at his best, and would make a great companion to March's The Eagle and The Hawk, which begins below. (It's cool to see Cary Grant at such a young age--and I love Jack Oakie in everything).

[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks