Movie Posters??

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
myrnaloyisdope

Movie Posters??

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

Hey all, I've recently moved across the country into the first place of my own, and would like to decorate my humble abode with some movie posters. I'm generally looking for pre-code or silent posters of films I enjoy. But ultimately aesthetics are the most important thing (with points for obscurity). I'm looking for suggestions, or at the very least would love to see some of your own favorite posters.

I'm leaning towards something from the following which have caught my eye:

A great film, and a great poster to match, love the font, love the image.

A brilliant poster for a brilliant film, encapsulates everything the film represents.

I'm a big fan of the film and Cukor, and I love the ambitious design.

Very much a poster of its era, quite striking too, plus it's Vidor and WWI (two of my biggest interests).

My favorite B-Movie and film noir. Simply a classic poster. I'm leaning really strongly towards this one.

I've never seen the film, but it's got two things going for it: it's totally obscure, and it's a stunning image.

A personal favorite, and I love the detail on the picture. Lombard and March look almost like a photograph.

Moody and ominous, again perfectly suited for the film.
"Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?" - The Magnetic Fields
charliechaplinfan

Re: Movie Posters??

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Can you get posters of all these films. I envy you, we are moving house but my husband does not share my love of movies, I'd love to have a poster of a Fred and Ginger movie, or anything from the '20s or '30s and suitably obscure.

I don't know your colour scheme, I especially like The Big Parade poster and The Eagle and The Hawk. All Quiet on the Western looks a bit dark for my taste. You must let us know what you decide on.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

I love Classic Movie Posters and I have some books which feature some truly beautiful poster art from the Golden Era. Also, since I was youngster I had my room decorated with movie posters of all sizes.

When I moved in to my new apartment in 2008 I had to discard all my movie posters because they looked faded and I wanted to have better looking posters in appropriate frames in my small studio.

Currently, I have a big poster of High Society (1956) in one of the walls; a small poster of Love Before Breakfast (1936) near my University degrees and just in front of me now, above my LCD monitor a sort of panneaux of 10 small movie poster postcards which I framed recently: The Walking Dead (1936), The Cameraman (1928), "The Devil is a Woman" (1935), "Breakfast at Tiffany's" (1961), "Hollywood" (1923), "Don Q son of Zorro" (1925), "Gun Crazy" (1950), "Sunset Bvd." (1950), "The Old Dark House" (1932) and "Bordertown" (1935).

Talking about classic articles. Did anyone buy those Movie posters coasters that TCM used to sell a while ago at their shop? Were they of good quality? I remember wanting to buy them badly but I wasn't sure about their quality.
charliechaplinfan

Your wife is more tolerant than my husband, lucky you. He thinks my collecting books is enough, no need for posters. He does have a point, he has a geology degree and for some years now I've had to live with rocks of all shapes and sizes and I've never grown to love them :roll:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Your wife is more tolerant than my husband, lucky you. He thinks my collecting books is enough, no need for posters. He does have a point, he has a geology degree and for some years now I've had to live with rocks of all shapes and sizes and I've never grown to love them :roll:
My wife loves "rocks" of all shapes and sizes on her fingers :wink:
charliechaplinfan

I too have a penchant for those rocks. Unfortunately hubby did not find any of these on his field trips, just boring grey looking stones with the ocassional colour to them.
markfp

Post by markfp »

I love decorating with movie posters. After I got married I had to convince my wife, but now she loves it too. The only qualification is that it has to be a poster that she likes ("The Sin of Nora Moran" didn't make the cut). I just hope you're talking about reprints, originals of those you mentioned will require taking on a second mortgage.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

In the past 2-3 years, I slowly started collecting original posters and now it approaches near-obsession.

Computer-area
THE BLACK BOOK (insert)
SLIGHTLY SCARLET (insert)
SHOCK CORRIDOR (one-sheet)
SILVER LODE (insert)
WILD GUITAR (one-sheet)
GREAT DAY IN THE MORNING (insert & lobby card)

Upstairs Bath
ROUND MIDNIGHT (one-sheet)

Bedroom Hall
Chicago International Film Festival w/ Iman (autographed by Victor Skrebneski)

Stairway to First Floor
THIEVES HIGHWAY (one-sheet, 1955 reissue)
NIGHTMARE (half-sheet)
BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT (insert)
WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS (insert)
LA SANGUINARIA aka GUN CRAZY (small Italian poster)

Downstairs Bath
Chicago International Film Festival w/ Sigorney Weaver (autographed by Victor Skrebneski)
CLASH BY NIGHT (magazine ad)
AN AMERICAN GUERRILLA IN THE PHILIPPINES (magazine ad)
STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN (magazine ad)
THE STRANGER (magazine ad)

Music Room
LONELYHEARTS (one-sheet)
LOLA MONTES (Argentine one-sheet)

Stairway to Basement
THE LEARNING TREE (one-sheet)
LOST IN AMERICA (one-sheet)
-30- (half-sheet)

Basement
THIS ANGRY AGE (half-sheet)
THE STRANGE ONE (half-sheet)
MURDER BY CONTRACT (one-sheet)
MINNIE AND MOSKOWITZ (one sheet)
GLORIA (small Canadian poster)
SOMETHING WILD (one-sheet -- Garfein, not Demme)
BLAST OF SILENCE (one-sheet)
BAYOU (half-sheet)
GOD'S LITTLE ACRE (half-sheet)
THE KILLERS (lobby card -- Siegel, not Siodmak)
LENNY (lobby card)
THE PAWNBROKER (lobby card)
PLAY IT AGAIN, SAM (lobby card)
THE CHOPPERS (lobby card)
DIAL 1119 (lobby card)
MERRILL'S MARAUDERS (lobby card)
PARK ROW (lobby card)
SHACK OUT ON 101 (lobby card)
THE BIG KNIFE (lobby card)
THE YOUNG AND THE PASSIONATE aka I VITELLONE (lobby card)
ST. BENNY THE DIP (lobby card)

That's what I have hanging, and that's about a third. Yes, I'm running out of room (and a verrry tolerant Mrs. ChiO). Where do I put my latest lobby card of Emile Meyer dressed as a priest talking to a tall crying man with a goatee who is tied to a post?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
charliechaplinfan

I think Mrs Chio must have good taste.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Wow, that's some collection of original posters! I love Shock Corridor, is the one sheet the one with four stills from the film?

I have these in my family/TV room.

This as you enter (it's quite big):
My favorite picture of Garbo.
Louise in Diary:
Louise in Pandora (got this in the film museum in Frankfurt Germany):
I also have some signed photos and they include:

Robert Wise (on the set of The Day the Earth Stood Still)
Fay Wray (in the palm of Kong)
Dolores Fuller (laying on a bed of "nails" being menaced by Bela Lugosi)
Yvette Vickers (studio shot) Next to it I have this Lobby Card from the Attack of the Giant Leeches (much to my wife's chagrin):
Miriam Copper (studio shot)
and my prize, a beautiful hand-colored picture of and signed by Mary Pickford.

In my office I have a few animation cells:
Michigan J Frog (naturally)
Betty Boop
Bugs (signed by Robert McKImson)
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I love Shock Corridor, is the one sheet the one with four stills from the film?
Yes, indeed.

Each still has a caption. Pick your favorite:
(a) The Day a Man Was Trapped in the Ward Of Sex-Maddened Women!
(b) The Victim of a Wild Hallucination...That His Sweetheart Was Actually His Sister!
(c) The Strip-Teaser Who Would Stop At Nothing in The Name of Love!
(d) The Negro Who Stepped Out of a White University Into a Strait-Jacket!

Luckily, in the corner, there is a box, within which it is stated:

RECOMMENDED FOR ADULTS ONLY!

(There was a shortage of exclamation points soon thereafter!!!!)
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles