PBS

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: PBS

Post by movieman1957 »

April:

Some of the BBC titles were renewed but not enough to suit me. At least I can finish Kenneth Branaugh's "Wallander."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

It seems to me that Mary has returned to the same _itch she was before she fell in love with Matthew and he taught her how to be a human being. If she is going to be with either of the two fellows being offered this year, I would prefer seeing her with Charles to this Gillingham. I think Charles is more attuned to the common-man as Matthew was, and he will be better for Mary's psyche than Gillie.

I don't really feel sorry for Edith. She brought all this misery on to herself. I don't mean the baby, but the misery of not being with her. She went on the trip with her Aunt, and when she returned, she could have brought back a little orphan she found, adopted it, and given it a happy life as her own. Cora and Robert have accepted far worse in their household than a little baby. e.g. a crippled valet, a butler who started life on the stage, a daughter who slept with a man (who died in her bed), which Cora knew about though not Robert, stood by a valet while said valet was convicted of murder, and a son-in-law who was their chauffeur! as opposed to a little baby???? Mr. Fellows is getting a little too over the edge on this one I think.

I cannot accept Violet's habit of allowing her butler to ostracize the doctor as he does. I know she bugs him about it, but I should think a good dressing down would be the course of play here considering her own sense of courtliness and manners. Was a doctor regarded so lowly as if a butler considered him not worthy of the decent treatment as a guest, in front of other guests?

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Well, since nobody answered my questions from last week, I'll try again this week. Do you think the detectives are looking at Anna for the murder of Green? We finally know who Robert was yelling at during the dinner, but does anybody think Tom will leave? Not for the teacher but just for his beliefs?

Does anyone think, as I do, that Edith should tell her mother about the baby? True Robert would be furious, but Cora could bring him around eventually. I think this business of trying to hide her is silly. I think Mary is going to drop both of these guys and a third somebody will come along sooner or later. Neither of these two present fellows seem right for her.

I just realized that Robert is still a little angry about that art historian, so this would be a perfect time to present him with another grandchild, by the name of Marigold (where did they get that name from)? Hah, Downton Abbey would need a new roof.
Anne

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

:) :) :) :)

I am not sure about Anna & Bates. If they do go after Anna, Bates will step up to protect his love, I'm sure.
I agree about Edith telling Cora about the baby. It looks like she is about to flee with Marigold to London or abroad. I actually like Edith, she has had rotten luck, it is time for her to have some sunshine in her life.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

There was a very good documentary on PBS' American Experience this week called The Big Burn about the huge fire that raged through the northern Rockies in 1910. Destroyed an area the size of Connecticut to give you an idea of how big the fire was.

Definitely worth catching!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

David, good point about the evidence in the cottage against poor Anna. And it's time Edith bring Marigold into the fold.
Sorry I missed that great PBS special, Lynn.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm sure if Anna has police trouble with the contraceptive device, Bates would step in and claim it was an agreed thing between them. I don't like the was Robert is acting toward Cora. He's being very childish, but then he is with everything, especially how the estate should be run.

I feel a little sorry for Edith, but she brought it all on herself. She had several opportunities to 'fess up about the baby before she was born, and didn't try to help herself with her parents. Instead she chose to sneak around and continue playing the martyr. Maybe I'm too hard but she always had plenty of sympathy from Cora and Robert and I still believe they would have gone along with a baby appearing on their doorstep or some such thing, or even her going to Switzerland and returning with her. Sunshine in her life would be nice, but troubles like she has had generally build a person up to face a lot more than they think they can you know like "What doesn't kill you will make you strong", but she just lolls around wanting pity it seems like, so she needs a backbone.
Anne

Masha

Post by Masha »

I have watched now four episodes of: Grantchester. I am sorry to say that I find it sadly lacking in one major aspect. The lead actor is quite handsome and worthy of watching for any or no reason and the supporting cast are wonderful and stories are very interesting. Its major flaw is that they are not mysteries which could be solved by viewer. Solution to crime is not based on clues. They rely on epiphany and then deliver explanation. Similar explanation could be made for why any other characters committed crime.

I much prefer mysteries in which I could solve mystery and I relish when I have: "I should have figured that out" moment.

It is sad to say that: Grantchester is not such mysteries.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Ticket, ticket, who's got the ticket? Is it possible this story line is going to be dropped as the police seem content with Baxter's info. I sure wish someone would fit Thomas with some cement shoes. (that's my Italian coming out, I guess). I for one, am terminally sick of his smarmy face.

It looks like we're losing Tom. Drat!!! I really like him and had hoped he would stay around.

So, the terrible secret is out. Cora took it well for a mother in the Roaring 20's. I loved how she showed anger towards Violet and Rosamund. Cora's the only one who is acting like she has a brain in her head.

I sure am hoping Tom finds something or someone to keep him there on the estate. I've grown to like him so much between last season and this one. As long as he keeps his head straight and remembers the toil and trouble of the 'little' people, he would make a grand partner to Mary. Who, by the way is really becoming more and more of a nasty. Blake hopefully, can bring her down a peg or two, if he stays around. He may just get tired of her 'lady of the manor' ways. On a different subject, I love Phryne Fisher, she's so quirky and can hold her own with just about anyone.
Anne

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Anne, I agree that Mary has come full circle..she's as hateful as she was when the series started. Hope someone does take her down about 5 pegs...Tom is such a likeable fellow, wish he could stick around. There is a program called Manor of Speaking, which is rammed between DA and Grantchester, and is quite annoying, especially the host. 4 people and he sit on overstuffed couches and discuss the previous ep of DA. However they all agree the 'mystery' of Green's death has been overplayed tremendously. Move on, Julian!!!!

Phyrne Fisher is my top favorite show, I have both season's DVD's, and rather impatiently waiting for season 3. Since they just wrapped up filming, and it will be shown first in Australia, the wait is going to be a long one. If you are on FB, check out the page for "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries".
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Having over a year ago mentioned on short viewing that I found "Doc Martin" hard to find any appeal to the show I hereby wish to retract that statement. Streaming on Netflix The Bride and I have run through 5 seasons in a short period of time. (Good thing as I would hate to have to wait two years for a new season.)

Yes Dr. Ellingham is direct, blunt, rude and has a noticeable lack of any sense of humor he is at times the very thing he feels he cannot be - warm. It may be set in a seaside community of unusual but often lovable characters but at the heart of the series there is a love story. A rocky road to be sure but the love that develops between Martin and the only real possible mate, Louisa, is a sweet love. In spite of his quirks she knows there is a soul in there waiting to be set free. The problem is whether Martin will let it.

You have to put aside the thought of whether anything ever gets done in their village. Could everyone be as unusual as they are? Do they feed off of each other and thus become the unique group that they are? I think so. All, that is, but Louisa. Someone has to be normal.

Two things I particularly like are when Louisa (often even on her own adds an "r" to the end of her name) says Martin's name and the other is when after he falls in love the way he looks at her. He melts.

If you watch it you must start from the beginning and watch it in order. Stick with it. Since it is a show about a doctor there are some medical things that come into the stories, some are quite serious, but it all adds to what makes up the man. The humor is gentle and at times the word "odd" would be a polite word for some in town but hang in and I think there is a pretty good chance you would enjoy it. You would have plenty of time before the 7th and presumably final season comes on sometime probably after Christmas.
Chris

rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

Hi Mr. Movieman.

Count me in as a Doc Martin fan (albeit a less educated one, than you) I have only managed to catch maybe half a dozen or so episodes over the last several months (or so) but I agree.. it grows on you.

At first viewing I thought. ok.. this is just dry as it can be.. ha. And I almost turned the channel. But I stuck with it a few more minutes and began to appreciate all the "quirkiness" of the various characters and how they contrast with his no-nonsense, even flat-out rude and abrupt disposition.

And I am with you in how much I enjoy watching things play out concerning the love he has for Louisa, despite the fact he has little to NO concept for how to show it. And yet somehow.. you can still tell that he DOES care, and quite deeply. (have you seen the episode where she almost dies and he saves her life? Oh me.. everything he had to go through.. it made me cry.)

And ha.. I love his interactions with the baby too. The two of them together make quite a pair. :roll:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I haven't seen the one you mention as we are watching them in order. That is a must for us. We are through a vood bit of season 6.

I'm glad you stuck with it. I feel that you usually have to give a show 2 to 3 episodes to love it or leave it. Soon we will have to find our next series. That is until the new season of Doc Martin airs.
Chris

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm so glad you folks are becoming fans of the Doc. I've watched it from the first time it was televised here in the States. About a year ago I tried to convince other members to try it for a couple of episodes but I don't have the golden tones you have to make the characters enjoyable rather than just quirky. I tried to explain the charm of the village and its' residents but couldn't quite bring them to life as you did. But I'm so glad you enjoy the show. Now, next time you see that an episode of Miss Fisher's Mysteries is coming on, by all means, sit yourself down and prepare to be amused.
Anne