PBS

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: PBS

Post by moira finnie »

I've watched several of the Doc Martins too and can't say that the central character is one who has given me any yuks, though I guess it is meant to be a comedy. I cannot feel too much sympathy for Martin Ellingham, but some of the actors around him are appealing, such as the lady who plays his aunt Joan, Stephanie Cole, and visitor John Alderton (still a lovely actor years after Upstairs, Downstairs & No, Honestly), Claire Bloom as his bristling mother, and John Woodvine as his self-centered father. I just can't warm up to Martin Clunes in that creepy part, though I do see how lonely and wounded his character really is--but don't see any real reason why Louisa the teacher would fall in love with such a largely emotionless slug.

I liked Clunes' two British television documentary series about horses enormously and the one about the isles around Britain was interesting too. He was being himself then, ostensibly, but it took me awhile to NOT expect him to turn around and be heartlessly cold or vile to someone. I wonder what a toll such a character as Doc Martin might take on an actor?

Did anyone see the American Masters episode about GWTW author Margaret Mitchell? I never knew she was such a flapper or that her racial views changed profoundly later in life. The program didn't say so, but I suspect that Ashley Wilkes' character was infused with her lifelong love for Clifford Henry, her fiance during WWI. Overall, she was a pistol as well as someone the South can legitimately be proud of, in part due to the emotional power of her one book, but also because she eventually understood the pain as well as the pride it generated. There's more about her and the documentary about her life here: http://www.pbs.org/search/?q=margaret%2 ... 20mitchell
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Not watching much of "Doc Martin" it is hard to get the appeal of the show. He is clearly not an endearing character. Though I have seen him interviewed and he does seem like a nice man. Maybe the point is the whole town is charming and the struggle comes with dealing with a man they may not like but cannot do without. What I have seen is more quirky than funny.

I'm too busy watching "MI-5" and other things to get caught up in "Doc."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

My husband likes Doc Martin.

That being said, my husband is the quietest, most helpful person I've ever met. I think for him it's a sort of fantasy of being able to say exactly what you want to people who mean well, but make your life uncomfortable. He hasn't watched too many episodes though, and I've watched even fewer.

I've watched the Pete Seeger documentary on American Masters recently, and caught a bit of Sherlock which was a hoot!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I agree with all you've said about Doc Martin, but . . . it is definitely not a comedy in connection with him. With all the other patrons of the village, yes. The other characters are all full of idiosyncrasies, and weird habits, some funny, some sad, and some ridiculous, like the chief of police who is afraid of his own shadow. The school teacher who is mad about the doc. Worse than that is the druggist who is also mad about him, although she is married. It's a show that you cannot like in a one time sitting. You have to learn about the characters which you cannot do in one show. So I fully understand why some of you don't like the show or see the point of it.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

kingrat wrote:So is anyone else watching Mr. Selfridge? We are catching up with Season 1 and looking forward to Season 2, which started last night.

The set for the department store is one of the best ever, the costumes are lovely, and the writing and acting aren't too shabby, either.
I have gotten sucked into this several times, though I can't say that the acting impressed me as much as the glorious period details and those costumes--especially the hats--are to die for.

Also premiering last Sunday on PBS was Season 3 of Call the Midwife, with the East End midwives and nuns relocating and Chummy's return to her profession! It was a good show and much stronger dramatically than the padded Christmas show that they showed sometime ago. Hoping for a good time to continue as the plucky gang hurtles toward the swingin' sixties. If anyone missed this first episode, it can be seen here:
http://www.pbs.org/call-the-midwife/home/

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I watched two of the episodes of Mr. Selfridge last year without knowing what it was or when it was made. I enjoyed it.

I keep missing Call the Midwife though it looks good.

Moira, loving your Edna avatar!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:Moira, loving your Edna avatar!
Thanks, Wendy. There will be a parade of monocled types throughout April. Apparently, this single lens thing is now a hot "new" fashion trend--sort of a "Mr. Peanut Meets Hipster" movement, as one headline put it.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hahaha! I can't wait for the rest of April now to see who shows up!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

PBS - Wow. My Saturday and Sunday evenings are locked on channels 11 and 20 here in the Chicago area. Starting Saturday with Dame Judith Dench in As Time Goes By, to Keeping Up Appearances, to Doc Martin, to Father Brown, and finally Death in Paradise which gets me to 11:00 and about ready for beddy bye, However, recording on Channel 20, for viewing on Sunday morning is some detective mystery or another like Miss Marple, Detective George Gently, etc., or an Agatha Christie who dun-it. And of course on Sunday evening is Call the Midwife, and whatever the season of Downton Abbey. Selfridge, or whatever other Masterpiece type of program fills in.

On Tuesday evening, channel 20 has become pretty regular in showing one of the detective mysteries at 8:00, such as George Gently, Silk and many other fine detective stories.

Again I have to agree with everything that has been said about Doc Martin (the dog bit was a bad choice), but his disdain is what drives all the residents so crazy, but he is all they have so there's is little they can do. As for the school teacher loving him - how many beautiful girls fall in love with egotistical drummers and guitarists - Heather Locklear and Valerie Bertinelli are two I can think of right off the bat, and both are divorced now, so there is no telling about anyone's taste.

I am watching Mr. Selfridge, but when I first started, I kept getting it confused with The Paradise, which was a fictional depiction of Selfridges success in the retail world and confusing some of the actors of each program. In other words, I kept looking for the pretty blonde who was so creative and helpful until I realized that character was from the Paradise, not Selfridge. After the preview on Sunday night, PBS showed a documentary on Selfridge and his amazing insight into people's shopping preferences and the future of retail, it made me think that I might have enjoyed going to just see the store as it is today, but what a shame that he died penniless with such a promising life.

I love Father Brown, another pudgy, unattractive lead character, but as a priest, who cares? Like Poirot and Sherlock Holmes, he sees clues that others miss, and wraps everything up at the last minute. Unfortunately Death in Paradise are all reruns, and since I've seen the lead guy on another shows' trailer, it may have only lasted for one season, but I haven't seen all of them yet and I'll be patient.

So, again I've expounded on PBS, and I cannot believe that I owe all of this enjoyment to hearing about Downton Abbey and being curious enough to check it out a couple of years ago.
Anne

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Attention all of you Britishers:

Another question about our verbalization differences. Last weekend on Call the Midwife a lady was chomping on Pear drops, and I think it was in Father Brown that another lady sucked on them to cover alcohol on her breath. What in the world are they? Are they like lemon drops? Lemon drops are pretty strong and might cover alcohol on ones breath, and they are also good to just have around to suck on until meal time. But pears?!! They can't possible have any kind of strong taste or odor can they? Please let me know. Thank you.
Anne

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'm hoping that one of our overseas members will add their first-hand experience to answer your question, but here is one answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pear_drop

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Has anyone seen "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries"? It is a wonderful series from Australia, based on the books by Kerry Underwood. I stumbled on it quite by accident. Netflix has the first season only, and after watching, I went on a hunt for season two. The only place I have found it offered is http://www.acorntv.com. They offer a 30 day free trial, and then $5.99 a month (two dollars cheaper than Netflix).

The series is set in the 1928 world of Phryne Fisher (fry née), a very wealthy free spirited flapper, who seems to find murder wherever she goes. Christy, take note: the costumes are unbelievably beautiful and award winning. The star, Essie Davis, is very talented, and the rest of the cast is spot on. Nathan Page,who plays Detective Inspector Jack Robinson, the reluctant hero, is a study in himself, and is rather swoon worthy, even if he is a bit goofy looking. (Believe me, he grows on you!!! :oops: :oops: )

Each episode was given a one million dollar budget, and the sets, costumes, quality of the scripts, and most especially the acting reflect money well spent.

The website has some really hard to find series from Britain and Australia, and is having a sale right now, up to 40%off.

Big mistake!!! It's Kerry Greenwood, not Underwood!!!
Last edited by knitwit45 on April 29th, 2014, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I've seen the promo for it. It looks interesting but the new rule in our house is one series at a time. We are nearing the end of "MI-5" so The Bride will have to pick out a new one.

This might be a candidate.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Phryne Fisher is not your blushing maiden...be warned, this is not a sanitized-for-American-viewing series. It is very, very good, she takes on some current issues, but rather subtly. Essie Davis is a marvel. "OY!"
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard