100 Films Closer to Death

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Dewey1960

Re: 100 Films Closer to Death

Post by Dewey1960 »

How appropriate that a conversation about Robert Altman would erupt right now: the great director would have turned 85 yesterday (Feb 20). Altman has long been a strong favorite of mine, primarily for M*A*S*H, THE LONG GOODBYE (my absolute favorite of his), THIEVES LIKE US, CALIFORNIA SPLIT (a close second), NASHVILLE, THE PLAYER and SHORT CUTS. Anyone capable of producing seven films of such power and imagination can be fully pardoned for the many misfires on his crowded resume.
THE LONG GOODBYE trailer:
[youtube][/youtube]
CALIFORNIA SPLIT opening:
[youtube][/youtube]
klondike

Post by klondike »

movieman1957 wrote:(I just got the poster to hang in my basement.)
Then (60's), or now, Chris?
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I might not have appreciated McCabe and Mrs Miller but I love M*A*S*H. I've never seen Nashville
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

I think tonight we might forge into Nashville. I DVD-red this one when it was on TCM a few years back, intending to revisit it when I felt brave and clearheaded enough. Well, no time like the present...
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm with you Moira. I love Altman when he's on. Give me Nashville, McCabe, The Player, and Gosford Park. I had no idea he did California Split, though I should have known, I always liked it. Thieves Like Us is the one I am most interested in seeing.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Thieves Like Us is a good one. I also like The Player, California Split, and Short Cuts. The guy worked in so many different genres it's unbelievable.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

We started Nashville last night and made it about halfway through before my sister had to stop and finish her homework. And to my great surprise, we've both enjoyed it tremendously - so Alison, I'd recommend you see it as soon as possible. I was left to wonder exactly how young I was when I first saw the movie - the film's immensely appealing wry humor must've gone completely over my head (I'd totally forgotten about the unseen Hal Phillip Walker and his populist blathering, as well as Karen Black's character, whose meeting with Julie Christie is one of the film's highlights). Beyond Blakely and her husband reflecting Loretta and Doolittle Lynn, I though there seemed to be a measure of roman a clef going on with other characters as well. It made me wonder if, in fact, all of them were jabs at real-life individuals. More remarks later today, after we finish it (probably over lunch).

PS - Oh, and Alison, when you get around to seeing this one, please be sure to mention what you think about the Geraldine Chaplin character.
charliechaplinfan

Right, it's going on my rental list now.

I'd completely forgotten he'd directed Gosford Park, I think it's because it feels so British, I thought it must be a British director. Gosford Park is one of my favorite films from the recent years.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

Nashville isn't available for rental. What a pity.

Have you discovered Cassavettes yet? I've just watched Woman Under the Influence and thought it outstanding.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Some one (not sure who) kind of dismissed Gosford Park, but I really enjoyed it. It was pointed out in a review that there isn't one scene in the entire movie when the "above stairs" folks don't have at least one "below stairs" person in the room with them. In other words, the "above stairs" gentry could not function without help. (And Jeremy Northam and Clive Owen aren't too hard on the eyes, either.)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I own Gosford Park. I thought it was great. It's been a while since I watched it. It has incredibly good performances, and a nice feeling of sickening corruption. Maybe I am thinking of it because I just watched Sunset Boulevard, but I seem to remember it gave me the same sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

JF, it made me appreciate NOT being one of the Uppa Claaaaas. The folks below stairs had a lot more fun, and life wasn't quite so complicated. It was far from perfect, and a lot of really hard work, but I'll bet they slept better at night. :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

N -
you said it!
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Alison, I'm very sorry. I wouldn't have tantalized you with it if I'd known it wasn't available in the UK.

We haven't yet done any Cassavetes, though one of the ones Sis marked during her first run through the book was A Woman Under the Influence.

Sis and I finished Nashville last night and, like many films we've had to stop and restart, this one suffered somewhat from having its momentum drained at a crucial point. Still, we enjoyed it, though I believe Sis derived greater enjoyment from the first half of the film (as did I), which from what we could tell contained most of the comedy and fewer songs.

I think the ending genuinely caught her by surprise. My mother walked in only at (shall we say) the pivotal moment and about 5 minutes before the ending kept asking us questions about what was going on. :x (I'd be more patient but this is a habit with her and she's been told dozens of times to cut it out. And she hates for anyone to interrupt her when she's watching a program.)

I'm glad Ronee Blakely managed to secure a well-deserved Oscar nod for her performance and, like Judith, I believe the talented Henry Gibson should've earned one as well. And as with everything she's in, I was also impressed with Barbara Harris, who plays an eccentric (what else?) wannabe singer. Geraldine Chaplin was also very good, playing a character who aroused equal parts amusement and annoyance.

I might also go ahead and do McCabe and Mrs. Miller this week, if we have time.
charliechaplinfan

At least Nashville has a chance at being shown on British TV. I would have thought a film as big as Nashville would have been released here by now but it's just another film that sohuld have had a release that hasn't.

I like the below stairs characters far more than the toffs, Alan Bates stood out for me. Out of the toffs, it was Ivor Novello and his American friend. It's such a great film I lost count of the raft of talent.