100 Films Closer to Death

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
srowley75

Re: 100 Films Closer to Death

Post by srowley75 »

Hi Alison, thanks for your input and your nice comments about my thread. 8)

Triumph of the Will was one I really couldn't believe grabbed Sis's attention as it did, but she seemed quite interested by the whole thing. I think it's one of those things that's impossible to evaluate objectively - about all you can say is that it's brilliantly filmed albeit appalling.

Re: Aliens, we did watch the director's cut. Rebekah had issues with certain plot points (e.g., how was Ripley able to shoot so many aliens at close range without getting their acidic blood on herself?) but you never can deny that Cameron's films always boast such strong visuals.

Anyway, she's recetnly shown some interest in some 1980s titles from the list, so we may take a break from the older classics temporarily to view some of those: Fatal Attraction, The Right Stuff, Terms of Endearment, An American Werewolf in London, Airplane, Hannah and Her Sisters, Brazil, Broadcast News, and 2 or 3 more I've set aside.

-Stephen
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Fatal Attraction reminds me of a movie themed party we went to, we had to come up with a costume at such short notice that I put a stuffed toy rabbit in a pan and went with that. Everyone knew exactly who I was, Fatal Attraction was a huge film of the eighties.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

It's been a tough week and Sis was in the mood for a comedy, so last night we viewed Airplane! (1980).

As a teenager I'd enjoyed the daffy Mad-magazine-style humor of Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker in The Naked Gun and Hot Shots! and their subsequent sequels (Rebekah was usually in another room watching something animated), but by college age I'd seen enough that I eventually tired of their schtick. Last night's viewing of Airplane! was the first of their films I'd watched in ten or so years. And I enjoyed seeing it again, even despite that the pleasure of this particular film has become dampened thanks to its status as one of the most quoted of the 1980s comedies. I did notice that compared to today's similarly wild and surreal film comedies and animated sitcoms (e.g., The Family Guy, The Simpsons, South Park), the pacing seemed considerably less frenetic. For youngsters these days, it's likely that this early entry in the series (which in turn owes much to Mel Brooks and Looney Tunes) wouldn't provide enough of a barrage of gags to keep them laughing. But Rebekah seemed to like the movie a lot, and mentioned how funny it was to see so many of classic TV's dramatic actors (Peter Graves, Lloyd Bridges, Robert Stack) playing send-ups of their serious selves. We both also remarked on how surprising it was that the film somehow netted a PG rating in spite of the crude nature of much of the humor (e.g., there's nudity, drug use, jokes involving fellatio). I was reminded of how Mom threw a fit over some of the content in the PG-13 Naked Gun! films.

I still need to see the "original version" of Airplane!, the drama Zero Hour (1957).
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Rebekah and I watched The Crying Game (1992) a couple nights ago. Rebekah knew full well about the plot twist (whatever became of Jaye Davidson?), so that gave us an opportunity to focus on what I believe is the central message of the film, to wit: Don't let yourself get in too deep without knowing what you're getting into (or as Dil says, "Funny the way things go. Never the way you expected"). Having seen the film twice before, I was amused by the little clues that Jordan drops well before the "revelation" (which has become a classic scene). But if you're looking around when "Jimmy" meets Dil and in subsequent scenes, you can guess he's in for a surprise.

Despite knowing about the big payoff, she still liked the film. We've both become big fans of Forest Whitaker and Miranda Richardson over the years, and they both deliver standout performances here (and yet placid Rea and enigmatic Davidson were the Oscar nominees...oh well). And as we've been discussing endings, I'll just mention that the denouement of this gem is quite appropriate.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Any updates on your list?

My daughter didn't really know Randolph Scott so after seeing the famous line in "Blazing Saddles" I popped in "Ride Lonesome" for her and my son and I to watch. Poor thing fell asleep as she only had two hours of sleep the night before but my son said he enjoyed it. That kind of surprised me since there is so little action (as westerns go.) Since it is a character study he liked the directions each took. He laughed at the right spots, questioned some of their actions (which means he was paying attention) and liked Karen Steele. Who wouldn't?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

The only film that we've both seen together recently is 1990's Reversal of Fortune, and that because Rebekah has for some time been intrigued by the Von Bulow case. It's one of my favorite films of the 1990s, simply because of the dark humor injected into the true-life story by Schroeder and co. The clash of worlds - Von Bulow's realm of privilege vs. Dershowitz and his students' grimy, workaholic beer-and-pizza lifestyles - is the source of much of the irony.

Rebekah's been spending much of her time with friends in the last month or so, and I've been getting ready for school and getting re-acquainted with some friends and family, so we've seen very little of each other at home.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Will be adding a lengthy list of recent viewings to this thread soon. I've been watching a bunch on my own now that Rebekah's been quite busy with other entanglements, and I thought some might enjoy discussing a few of those titles.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

As I mentioned before, here are a few first-time viewings I've seen on my own in the past month or so.

*Within Our Gates (1920) - Micheaux's better-than-you'd-expect rebuttal to Birth of a Nation.
*Man With a Movie Camera (1929, Dziga Vertov) - dazzlingly well-photographed, though a bit tiresome
*Tabu (1931) - Had been eager to see Murnau's last. Not as great as his silents, but a good film with a very compelling final sequence.
*Judge Priest (1934) - Infuriating.
*The Story of a Cheat (1936) - Delightful. I think when I have fall break from my studies this year, I'm going to treat myself to more Guitry.
*Whisky Galore (1949) - Amusing Ealing comedy.
*Silver Lode (1954) - Interesting.
*Bob le Flambeur (1955) - Haven't really acquired a taste for Melville yet. More to come.
*Blonde Cobra, Flaming Creatures (1963) - Not my cuppa tea. I think Warhol and Anger did this sort of thing better.
*The Color of Pomegranates (1969) - Another viewing required.
*Straw Dogs (1971) - Intense and horrific.
*Last Tango in Paris (1972) - a masterpiece. A new favorite of mine.
*Day for Night (1973) - Exhilarating and uplifting. Valentina Cortese and Jean Pierre Aumont are wonderful.
*Fantastic Planet (1973) - Imaginative adults-only animation.
*In the Realm of the Senses (1976) - Yipe. Probably the most explicit movie ever made with something genuine to say about love and sex.
*Shaolin Master Killer (1978) - Fun.
*The Tin Drum (1979) - Mesmerizing.
charliechaplinfan

Judge Priest infurirated me too. For melville try Le Silence De la Mer. The Realm of the Senses was too much for me, my husband thought I'd rented an adult movie by mistake. Is The Colour of Pomegranates available to buy?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

A lot of great films you've been watching:
srowley75 wrote:*Within Our Gates (1920) - Micheaux's better-than-you'd-expect rebuttal to Birth of a Nation.
In my opinion this should always be shown along side Birth. The lynching scene alone is enough to refute some of Griffith's point of view.
srowley75 wrote:*Man With a Movie Camera (1929, Dziga Vertov) - dazzlingly well-photographed, though a bit tiresome
I really like this movie. Especially the sequences where Vertov shows the mechanics of making the film itself.
srowley75 wrote:*The Story of a Cheat (1936) - Delightful. I think when I have fall break from my studies this year, I'm going to treat myself to more Guitry.
I love The Story of a Cheat. Be sure to check out The Pearls of the Crown. Clearly Guitry was a big influence on many film-makers, Welles and Truffaut chief among them.
srowley75 wrote:*Bob le Flambeur (1955) - Haven't really acquired a taste for Melville yet. More to come
Along with CCF's suggestion, I'd also recommend Le Doulos, Army of Shadows and Le Cercle Rouge.
srowley75 wrote:*Straw Dogs (1971) - Intense and horrific.
This is my favorite Peckinpah film. There's a lot going on here, and the violence, while somewhat less than some of his other films, is much more intense and visceral.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
klondike

Post by klondike »

MichiganJ wrote:A
This is my favorite Peckinpah film. There's a lot going on here, and the violence, while somewhat less than some of his other films, is much more intense and visceral.
You should see on a big screen! {- assuming of course neither of you have}
I did, back in '71 [my last outing before reporting for duty], and by the time the film had 'slowed' enough for Dustin to start boiling that vinegar, I felt like I'd just pulled a gag out of my own mouth - short of breath, slightly dizzy, and totally rivetted to every second of action unfolding on the screen, the experience finished with my date having to shout for me to "wait-up" as I was exiting the theatre during the credits . . I'd actually forgotten I wasn't there by myself! :x :oops: :x
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Judge Priest infurirated me too. For melville try Le Silence De la Mer. The Realm of the Senses was too much for me, my husband thought I'd rented an adult movie by mistake. Is The Colour of Pomegranates available to buy?
I'm planning to see more Melville. I've liked what I've seen of his stylish and impressive-looking films, but I just can't quite keep in step with his pacing. It just seems off to me.

The Color of Pomegranates was available through Kino on Video, the last I checked. I don't know if they've a presence in the UK or not.

And that is amusing about Realm of the Senses. I don't think Sis would've had the patience to sit through it. The message of the film came through loud and clear, though I wonder if all of that was truly necessary. The scene with Sada and the children (if you made it that far) was probably the most disturbing to me.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

MichiganJ wrote:
srowley75 wrote:*Man With a Movie Camera (1929, Dziga Vertov) - dazzlingly well-photographed, though a bit tiresome
I really like this movie. Especially the sequences where Vertov shows the mechanics of making the film itself.
I thought it might've worked better as a shorter film. About 40 minutes in, I was beginning to feel a bit twitchy, similar to how I feel when I'm the same room with someone who can't stop changing channels on the TV. On the other hand, great photography, and I liked that there were no intertitles.
MichiganJ wrote:
srowley75 wrote:*The Story of a Cheat (1936) - Delightful. I think when I have fall break from my studies this year, I'm going to treat myself to more Guitry.
I love The Story of a Cheat. Be sure to check out The Pearls of the Crown. Clearly Guitry was a big influence on many film-makers, Welles and Truffaut chief among them.
I'm going to try to buy that Criterion/Eclipse set as soon as I can, when I find a job. I did notice the connection with Welles in Story of a Cheat.
MichiganJ wrote:
I really liked it - the last half hour was especially engrossing (and of course, it's when I had more than one disturbance in the house). I don't know that it's my favorite Peckinpah. I like that it's quite controversial.
I think I'm about ready to name Hoffman as THE actor of the 1970s, at least as far as mainstream film goes. Everything of his that I've seen from that decade has been terrific. I'm also hoping to work in Straight Time at some point in the near future (once I work through about 1,000 other selections).
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

By the way, adding these titles listed above, my own personal tally is at roughly 540. Some others I know I've seen, but I've refrained from crossing them off the list because (1) I simply can't remember anything about them and (2) I know I didn't see them in their OAR (how much more evidence of my movie geekery does anyone need?)
charliechaplinfan

I haven't tried counting how many I've seen. I'm curious now.