100 Films Closer to Death

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
srowley75

Re: 100 Films Closer to Death

Post by srowley75 »

We viewed another film over lunch yesterday, and I think Rebekah found herself a new favorite: 1967's Point Blank , an early outing by Deliverance and Exorcist II director John Boorman. The first ten or so minutes of the film confused her slightly, but as the action progressed she gave every indication that she was enjoying herself. We discussed the apparent narrative and stylistic influences of foreign films of the same time period (especially the New Wave), and from all I could tell she seemed to grasp what I was talking about. The low blow that Marvin delivers during the fight in the club surprised us both - it was something I hadn't remembered (we discussed how weird it was to see someone punching below the belt in a 1960s movie, before the tidal wave of groin trauma scenes that today are all but standard fare in action and comedy films - and here we'd thought Paul Newman did it first in Butch Cassidy).

Though Lee Marvin is appropriately chilling as a soulless yet tenacious ex-con out for revenge on the corporation that screwed him over, I would be remiss if I didn't also acknowledge the performances of two of my favorite modern-day character actors: (1) B-movie/grindhouse/action veteran John Vernon, playing the guy who roped Marvin's character into the racket and (2) TV stalwart Lloyd Bochner (Dynasty), one of the organization's higher-ups. Both have tremendous final scenes.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Point Blank is indeed a jewel in the bizarre "crown" of Boorman's achievements (Excalibur, Zardoz, Deliverance, Emerald Forest); you can tell that JB & Marvin really got their heads together about the protagonist's personality & credo & motivations.
Have you ever seen 99's Payback?
It's a lot of the same grim, gritty fun & tension that Point Blank delivers; in fact, it plays like Mel Gibson (producer/writer/lead) was out to actually remake the Boorman movie, but pulled the storyline into a U-turn in the last quarter-hour.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

I haven't seen it, Klonny, but I think Sis has. In fact, I think we owned a copy before our family's VHS purge. I meant to ask Sis about it last night but she was gone most of the evening studying for a test.

During lunch yesterday we began viewing Dr. Mabuse, The Gambler (1922). We'll probably be several days finishing that one. It's convenient for us that the film is divided into episodes ("acts," in this case). It's easier to restart the film at the beginning of a new act rather than having to fast forward through footage to remember where we stopped the film.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Stephen:

Any chance for an update? I miss hearing about what you two are watching.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Thank you for asking. I'm sorry I haven't posted an update for some time. I've been looking for jobs while trying to re-enroll in college and it's just taken up most of my time in the last month or so.

I tested for a customer service job at a cable company about a month ago and failed the test (not exactly sure what I missed as they wouldn't tell me). So I was depressed for a while and didn't really feel like seeing or talking to anyone, but as I've also been getting ready to go back to school for another degree, I tried to keep myself busy preparing for that. I'm hoping to start a Human Resources degree and I'm currently waiting to hear if I'm accepted.

We've watched maybe 2-3 films since I last posted but I'd need to double check to see what they were. Rebekah's been more into shows like Dancing With the Stars and American Idol lately, plus she's had class, and with my job hunting and other stuff, that's not left us a lot of time.

-Stephen
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Glad you checked in. Keep us posted. Good luck.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I tested for a customer service job at a cable company about a month ago and failed the test (not exactly sure what I missed as they wouldn't tell me).
Stephen, you were probably too honest! I always feel like the right opportunity will present itself, if I just keep on looking. Good luck to you, it sounds like you are really making some positive moves in your life.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

It's great to see you posting again, Stephen. I hope that you'll be able to find something very soon and find that the college courses you may be looking into are a good boost for you. I wouldn't worry too much about that cable csr test. I suspect that many of us who have taken them have puzzled over what such exams are really about. I'm hoping that only the best comes your way soon as you keep trying.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I've missed your posts, but I am glad you are taking the college courses and continuing the job search. It will pay off for you, I'm absolutely sure of it. :D
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Thank you all for the kind words and for your patience with me during this difficult time.

I'm supposed to find out by next Wed. if I've been accepted into my degree program. I'm temporarily holding off on job applications until then because I want to be able to update my resume once I get news from the school.

Sis and I watched Blade Runner (1982) this evening. Not that I didn't think it was a well-made film, but I think I should've watched something with a lighter tone. I had a headache and that movie didn't help.

-Stephen
klondike

Post by klondike »

srowley75 wrote:
Sis and I watched Blade Runner (1982) this evening. Not that I didn't think it was a well-made film, but I think I should've watched something with a lighter tone. I had a headache and that movie didn't help.

-Stephen
I can see your point, Stephen; Blade Runner is a very intense & demanding film, and one that engages you immediately, making no concession for any viewer who isn't totally onboard in the first ten minutes.
It's also a yearningly beautiful movie, in optics & pacing & texture & script (once you begin approaching the story's center), and has deservedly landed in the top ten of many discerning film fans' fave lists.
I'd recommend you wait a year or so, and look at it again under pleasanter circumstances.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

srowley75 wrote:Sis and I watched Blade Runner (1982) this evening. Not that I didn't think it was a well-made film, but I think I should've watched something with a lighter tone. I had a headache and that movie didn't help.
One of my personal favorites. Sorry about your headache. I hope you will try again another time without the pounding cerebellum.

[youtube][/youtube]
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Stephen,
Great to hear an update.
It's fun to hear someone else's opins of movies.
Don't worry about the stupid test - they're the ones who lost out and I just know something bright is on the future. Let us know about your upcoming studies and films!
Birdy
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Blade Runner lovers, I've never been able to make much sense out of this movie, and I'm wondering if that's because I've seen it only once or twice, on TV broadcasts, and salient scenes may have been cut out. Has that been your experience?
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Judith: At the urging, insistence and nagging of a fellow Oasisite, I finally got around to watching BLADE RUNNER about a year ago. I sent the following note to him immediately thereafter:

I did watch an interesting movie this afternoon. I'll have to watch it again to even start a discussion. It starred James Edward Olmos as Pontius Pilate, Harrison Ford as Saul of Tarsus/St. Paul, and Rutger Hauer as Jesus Christ. I think.

As soon as the urging, insistent and nagging Mr. Arkadin gets a new keyboard, I'm confident that he'll set us straight.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles