To Stuart re: UK Telly

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
mrsl

To Stuart re: UK Telly

Post by mrsl »

Stuart:

What's the scoop on Prince William and his fiancee'? Are things starting to get a little nuts like Chuck and Diana did? Normally I'm not much interested in the royal family and what they do or say, we have enough of our own celebrities here in the U.S. to wonder about and I guess I'm one of the people in the 10% bracket that never took to Diana. She rubbed me wrong from day one. Son William seems to be a throwback to his grandfather's time though. He's up enough with current events, to eventually hold interest when it becomes his turn to make speeches, but I think he offers the elder percent of the population enough respect to make everybody happy. Even though he held no official title, Prince Philip always seemed charming and welcoming.

So, just being a little bit nosy on my part. Notice, I used the royal purple for my print color :lol: :P :roll:
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ken123

Re: To Stuart re: UK Telly

Post by ken123 »

Shortly after Prince Williams' 30th birthday, June 21, 2012, London will be host to the Summer Olympics. The 21st of June Is the beginning of Summer. 2012 may be a very interesting year. 8)
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

There's talk that he might marry next year in 2011 as 2012 will be a busy year as it also his Grandmother's Diamond Jubilee, may she live for a long while yet. I wasn't a big fan of his mother, I hope he takes after the Windsors more than the Spencers. Love Prince Phillip, he gets knocked but he's more than done his duty in my opinion.

If and when they do get married, I hope there's a bank holiday.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Anne

I haven't heard anything bad about William and his girl. On the other hand Prince Phillip is famous over here for his gaffs. The latest being at the Papal visit to Scotland. On seeing the Pope was wearing a tartan scarf he turned and asked Scottish Tory leader Annabel Goldie if she was wearing tartan knickers.

I hope neither you or anyone else is offended at me quoting him
klondike

Post by klondike »

stuart.uk wrote: I hope neither you or anyone else is offended at me quoting him
Stuart, as one Scot to another (citizenship notwithstanding), let me say how much I admire your diplomacy of expression, especially on topics like the Royals.
charliechaplinfan

I didn't read that anywhere. He's so well known for his gaffes it detracts from the work he has done as a royal. I'm sure when he married Princess Elizabeth he expected more of a naval career than he got, no one expected the King to die aged 57. His career got cut short, the Queen's diamond jubilee is also a celebration of his work, I'm sure without his support she couldn't have done the job anywhere near as well as she has done.

Kate Middleton is called rather cruelly by our press, Waitey Katey because she has been on the scene so long. I hope it's a real love story but part of me thinks if it was they'd have got married by now. Perhaps he's hesitiant because of his father's marriage.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

CCFan:

Actually, that's really what I was asking about, but re-reading, I realize I didn't make myself clear that I wondered about William and his fiancee. I can imagine how you Englanders feel about the Queens' diamond anniversary. I was nine when she had her coronation, so she is the only English monarch I've ever known of.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Post by klondike »

Alison and/or Stuart-

Please help me figger this one out so I don't have to go keyword searching:

When Young Will takes the Big Chair (as we tawdry Yanks like to call it), shall he become William III ? The only prior Williams I could recall from Brit history were William the Conqueror of Normandy, and William of Orange, who filled the Stuart void & unleashed the fury of Cromwell.
So, did I miss somebody, or do the Windsors play cricket by a different set of rules?
charliechaplinfan

If he choses to take William as his crowned name (Charles has said in the past that he wants to succeed as George VII) he will be William V. William the Conqueror was followed by his son, also William, William of Orange was William III whilst his wife was Mary II. William IV directly proceeded Queen Victoria. I've always found the monarchy fascinating.