stuart.uk

A New Maggie Smith tv show

Post by stuart.uk »

Here's a link to Maggie Smith's new tv series

moira finnie
Administrator

Re: A New Maggie Smith tv show

Post by moira finnie »

Wow, it looks like a dramatic tv version of Gosford Park (but probably more coherent than the Altman film). Maggie Smith looks as though she might have some fun as a formidable dowager. Thanks, Stuart. I hope this shows up on American television eventually.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Moira

It's written by the same writer as Gosford Park. It also stars Cry Freedom star Penelope Wilton, Lovejoy actress Phyliss Logan and American Elizabeth McGovern
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Oooh, Stuart! I've just seen the first two parts of Downton Abbey on Masterpiece Theater on American tv and it is as delicious as ripe, fresh strawberries in January!
Thank you so much for alerting me to this show. I love the characters, particularly Gwen (Rose Leslie), the young maid who secretly trains to be a secretary, Thomas the ambitious footman, (Rob James-Collier), the wonderful Hugh Bonneville as the Earl, Elizabeth McGovern as his American born wife, and Bates, the valet, Carson the butler and all of the characters who are gradually emerging, as well as Maggie Smith's dowager, who appears to be reluctantly being dragged into the 20th century. For anyone interested, you can see episodes online here and also learn more about the characters and the actors who play them there as well. The writing by Oscar winner Julian Fellowes is wonderfully detailed--and I love the unexpected events he inserts into the plot set in 1913 and the foreshadowing of the coming sea changes that will occur with the advent of WWI. I just read over the weekend in UK newspapers that a Christmas special is in the making.

This is great fun and the filming at Highclere Castle brings even greater verisimilitude to the story.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I love it, too! It's great. :lol:
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I am seriously thinking about buying the DVD set...it is a wonderful series, does anyone know how many episodes there are? The cost to produce this series was probably huge, but so worth it! I fell in love with Hugh Bonneville in Notting Hill when he was a bumbling sweetheart who(m?) you would love to have as a friend...
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I missed the first episode but watched the second one. Very enjoyable.