Prince William engaged

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
charliechaplinfan

Re: Prince William engaged

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Larry, I like Prince Charles, he didn't nearly get killed and Camilla quite rightly ducked for cover, like any sensible person would if the window next to you opened and you got assaulted by a protestor.

I make a habit of never criticizing anyone else's country, politics or heritage as I don't want to cause offence to anyone. I know you didn't mean to offend me but I feel a sense of pride about my country and our Royal family and would rather you didn't criticise our future King and Queen.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Larry, I like Prince Charles, he didn't nearly get killed and Camilla quite rightly ducked for cover, like any sensible person would if the window next to you opened and you got assaulted by a protestor.

I make a habit of never criticizing anyone else's country, politics or heritage as I don't want to cause offence to anyone. I know you didn't mean to offend me but I feel a sense of pride about my country and our Royal family and would rather you didn't criticise our future King and Queen.
I quite understand your sentiments, Alison. I was just talking with my brother about the succession. They won't skip over Charles, and he will be king next. My brother's wife seems a bit more fond of Charles than brother does, though he doesn't really dislike him either, though he was quite fond of Diana. I guess because he has two daughters and seven granddaughters, he seems to have felt rather protective of her. :)

You have a beautiful country, and I will never forget it! I hope that one day I get to return.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Alison,

Oh dear, I certainly didn't mean to insult you and I do apologize if I hurt your feelings....
You are certainly entitled to your opinions about Charles, Camilla and the Royal Family and I would be the first to defend your right to those opinions.
I do not oppose The Royal Family - remember they are ours in Canada too. I champion The Queen totally and hope she lives a still long life. I intend to attend the Diamond Jubilee in 2012 with several of my British friends; and am coming to London in April to visit, as I do every year for several years now....
And, for what it's worth, I'm a long time fan of "Coronation Street".....

But, forgive me, but I just think Charles is a big disappointment; a 'dope' for giving up Diana....

Hope we're still friends!!
Larry
charliechaplinfan

Dear Larry,

We are still friends. I'm not a huge fan of Charles but think he gets an unfair press, I'm not keen on Diana or on how she is seen as a saint, she was, I believe quite manipulative and would stop at nothing to get her own way, including giving a damning interview to Panorama trying to scupper Charles's chace to be King.

Brenda, your brother is right, there's been all this talk about the Duchess of Cornwall remaining as such once Charles ascends the throne but that won't happen, in law she will be Queen and has every right to be crowned so, I don't think Charles would have it any other way. More interesting is that Camilla converted to Catholicism to marry her first husband, the royal family cannot marry Catholics without renouncing their place in the succession, Camilla presumably has reconverted. Although in the eyes of the Catholic church she is still married to Andrew Parker Bowles.

When Charles reign comes, I don't think it will be long, his mother is still going strong and he's 62, still both the Windsor and Mountbatten genes seem very good ones.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Alison,

You got the chance to meet my brother, and I think you had a good chat. He liked you very much, and he came to that decision the first time he chatted with you on the phone. Nick's Mum is from the north. I had the good fortune of being there during the first chat you had and his reaction to it. :D

He is very conservative and patriotic as you know. I think no matter what country you are from, you should always hold dear to your roots.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
charliechaplinfan

I thought your brother was lovely, a very caring man, I'm glad he liked me. We had a really good day out didn't we?

Do you think Bruce will go to London to see the wedding or go for the jubilee? I'll sit and watch the wedding on TV, Libby might show a bit of interest, I love Royal weddings. Incidentally, I was a similar age to Libby when Charles married Diana and I was so caught up in it, all of a sudden she was in every paper and on the TV. I spent ages imagining and drawing a dress for her that I could hardly wait for the day to see her dress. You know what the build up is like for these events, it seemed we we all sat around the TV for hours before she appeared in her dress. One look at it as she stepped out of the carriage and I was dreadfully dissappointed. Then I got bored half way through the service and gave up on the whole thing. I thought she was the most beautiful woman. A pity how things turned out.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I felt Diana was a victim of tradition in the sense the future King was expected to marry a virginal young woman. That was the tradition, but it was more or less accepted that a future King could have affairs outside of his marriage.

I reckon if Charles could have had his way he would have married Camilla when he was younger, but she was related to Edward 7ths final mistress. That said I believe he did love Diana in the begining and she was the mother of William and Harry