Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

Prince William engaged

Post by stuart.uk »

Prince William has become engaged to girlfriend Kate Middleton
charliechaplinfan

Re: Prince William engaged

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Stuart, I think it's wonderful news. She seems so natural and so right for him. Thank heavens we have a love match this time.

It makes me very proud to be British.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Congratulations to the Prince and his fiancee.... They've been dating for 8 years, so it's about time to move on to the next step...

Can't say I'm any too interested in much royalty, except for The Queen and Queen Beatrix...
The rest are uninspiring and the Monaco bunch are just trash!

Larry
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I hope that Prince William and Kate can find a way to give each other some privacy and peace in their life together. It was quite touching to see the diamond and sapphire ring that had been his mother Diana's engagement ring on the hand of the future king's fiancée tonight on the news. I wish them well.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I think the fact Kate's 28 will stand her in good stead. Diana was only 19 when she married and probably ill prepared for the life that followed
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I also think that it's wonderful. I also have a sapphire and diamond engagement ring! Although, I'm sure it's nowhere near as grand as the one that Prince William gave to Kate Middleton, lol!

Sandy K
charliechaplinfan

It's quite a dazzler that ring. I think it's a lovely touch. I'm so glad that he has been given time to develop his relationship with Kate without too much intrusion and that his intentions were always honorable towards her. I've long been a fan of Kate and the fact she comes from the people and not the higher classes speaks for our times. I'm soft on romance and I think they are a lovely couple and that this plays like a real romantic love story.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hey Stuart and CCFan and any other folks from the U.K.:

After watching, and enjoying The Young Victoria, I got to thinking - which is always dangerous but seriously. I started digging a little bit into Victoria'a reign which raised a question regarding Elizabeth also. BTW, if Liz holds out for just 6 and a half years, she will overcome Vic's
'longest reign' by a female sovereign.

Albert and Phillip were both princes when the queens proposed to them, but Albert was of English blood, whereas Phillip was German and Swedish (if I recall correctly - didn't make a note). Therefore there was no problem with Albert adopting the 'style' of His Royal HIghness, but Phillip had to renounce his titles before he could marry Liz, so they had to make up a title for him, to enable a 'style' proper for a queens' consort, which ended up being the Duke of Edinburgh, allowing him to be called His Royal Highness.

Now, when William marries Kate, after Elizabeth passes on, will Kate become Queen Katherine or remain Princess? I seem to remember in the case of Diana, she would have remained Princess, though I can't recall the reason. Is it because Diana was a commoner, and if so, isn't Kate as well? We have so much junk from the papparazzi here on our entertainers, and Main Line people, that I don't pay a whole lot of attention to foreign news, so this is unusual for me, but as I said, I enjoyed the movie, and a few things made me wonder.

I, too hope this young couple has brighter stars shining on them.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Dear Anne,

Victoria was descended from the House of Hanover and Albert was from Saxe Coburg Gotha, both German Royal Houses.
In 1917 during WWI, George V changed their names from German ones to Windsor to make it more British.

Philip was a Greek Prince, descended from the Danish Royal Family. His grandfather, William of Denmark, was elected to the Greek throne and took the name George I....
Philip was titled with a British one bcause he had to renounce his Greek claims; because Greece had reluctantly supported Germany in both world wars and a Greek prince wouldn't have been received too fondly in 1947....

When William marries Catherine, hopefully The Queen will award him a Dukedom so that Catherine will be titled 'Duchess of _____'.....
Otherwise, she will be Princess William of Wales.
When The Queen dies, and that may be a long way off, Charles will be King and William will become The Prince of Wales, which is what his father is now - as Heir to the Throne.....
When Charles dies, then William and Catherine will be King and Queen...

Hope this helps!!

Larry
charliechaplinfan

Anne,

I love royal history. So here's my help.

Victoria and Albert were first cousins on her mother's side. Albert grew up in Germany.

Philip was a Greek prince and is linked to our Royal family through the Danish, Greek and Russian houses. Lord Louis Mountbatten was his uncle. Larry is right about Greece's position during the war but Philip had a distinguished record during the war although he wasn't well regarded by everyone, Princess Elizabeth chose him and they have been happy. When the remains of Tsar of Russia and his family were dug up it was Prince Philip who was called on to give samples to prove that they were the Russian royal family as he was the closest living descendant.

Princess Diana was not of Royal blood but she was not a commoner, she held the title of Lady and her father was an Earl, she was a member of the aristocracy. She would have become Queen had she remained married to Charles and he had acceeded the throne. The divorced princess would have remained the Princess of Wales but would not have bee HRH. When Charles succeeds the throne, he will become King and his wife should automatically become Queen but Camilla is not popular with some so it might not happen although he is entitled to insist on her being his Queen. They might invent a title like The Princess Consort.

Kate will get a title upon marriage, possibly from one of William's other titles or she might become Princess Catherine. She will become Queen to William's king.

I hope this helps.

Looking at the Royal houses of Europe from Queen Victoria's time to recent times gets very complicated, I would hate to be sending the Christmas cards.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Thanks Larry and CCFan:

Christmas cards!!!! Lord love a duck !!! This is the reason today and previous years, the Kennedys, and the Rockefellers were considered American royalty. So many branches, and trying to keep track of them gets hairy to say the least. I don't blame Elizabeth for choosing and sticking to her choice of Phillip. He was and still is quite a dream to look at. Though older now, he still has that courtly manner that makes him stand out from the ordinary man. Charles has all the same parts . . . eyes, nose, chin etc. as Phillip, but put together on his face, they just don't come out looking the same. I love your phrase 'they might invent' a title - it's used so often in English histories.

Thanks again for your answers.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Dear Anne & Alison,

Somehow I wish they could just erase Charles and Camilla - what a disaster they are!!!

Philip always looked like a 'striking Viking', which is what Merle Oberon called him... But, Charles never was a looker and rather stuffy...
Andrew was/is handsome and Edward is now bald....

Personally, I hope The Queen sallies on for another 10 or 15 years or more and outlives Charles...

I vote for Duke of Cambridge in the title lottery and then Kate will be Duchess of Cambridge - nice title!!!

Larry
charliechaplinfan

I woludn't call him a disaster but certainly not an out and out success. Camilla either doesn't do very much or never gets the press coverage unless she commits a faux pas.

The Queen hopefully will go on for another 10 to 15 years. As long as she has Philip who is her rock. Heavens, they've just arrived in Abu Dhabi, they are 90 and 84, you have to give them credit. There's no retirement or handing over the reins.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Oh Alison,

Thanks for telling us that they're in Abu Dhabi; I did not know that....
Usually, when the Royals visit the Middle East they come home with a bundle of great jewels. Maybe The Queen can pass some on to Kate!!!

I wonder if The Queen and Duke sang "Abba, abba, dabba, dabba said the monkey to the chimp" when they got off the plane??
Perhaps not!!!

Larry
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Well, Prince William nearly became next in line for the Throne two days ago when a bunch of hooligans attacked his car and smashed windows....
If they'd have killed him, William would have moved up a notch...

Poor old Camilla dove for the floor boards; where she belongs, if you ask me.
Still can't believe that dopey Charles traded in Diana for Camilla; the Royal Family married down in this instance.

Larry