The Event

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Lzcutter
Administrator

The Event

Post by Lzcutter »

I've been watching this show since it debuted in September. It was hyped beyond belief all summer long. It was supposed to be a cross between Lost and 24.

Despite some interesting set pieces, the majority of the show is a testament to lazy writing and fantastical situations.

Perhaps if it had just been the story between the "Others" and the President, it might have been able to sustain itself.

Instead, it is the story of that, the young lovers, a conspiracy, damaged lives, and the kitchen sink.

There's a reason it is hemorrhaging viewers and now I completely understand why.

Bye, Bye show.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Re: The Event

Post by mrsl »

Isn't it irritating that something so promising turns out to be such a mess.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

I totally agree. Despite the hype, I wasn't expecting to be the second coming of Lost but I would have settled for good storytelling and characters I cared about.

Instead, the producers and writers seemed to take all the wrong lessons from Lost and other good serialized dramas.

They seem to think as long as they keep throwing crap at us we won't care there's no story.

The reason Lost and other great dramas work is not because of the crap but because we invest in the characters and the story.

All the hype and all running in circles trying to create the idea of being a dramatic show pale in comparison to those shows that understand the basic tenant:

Give us characters we care about in a story we can engage in and we will follow.

For all its hype, {b]The Event[/b] has never understood that.

But the crew producing and writing Terriers understands 100% more.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have the hype or the $$$ behind the hype that The Event does.

But, Terriers is hands down the best written and acted new show of the fall season and probably the least watched.

Blue Bloods also is in that vein and has a following because it has a roster of actors people identify with.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I've never heard of The Terriers. What is it, and when is it on?
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

Terriers is a wonderful series starring Donal Logue (ER) and Michael Raymond James (True Blood) as low-rent private detectives in a beach community near San Diego.

It was created by the scriptwriter of Ocean's Eleven remake.

It has been one of the best written and acted shows of the new season.

Unlike many shows, this one has never forgotten the over all story arc that it is telling and each week has brought us closer to that arc.

Unfortunately, it has not done well in the ratings.

But we fans are hopeful that FX will sitck with it.

Last night's lead in to the season finale next week was awesome.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Terriers, probably the best written and acted show of the new season, got its cancellation notice earlier this week. A wonderful show about two down-on-their-luck unlicensed private detectives, Hank (Donal Logue) and Britt (Michael Raymond James) were two everymen who rarely get shown on television. Their lives were believable messes but the camaraderie and friendship between them transcended those messes.

Like the Good Wife, Terriers never lost sight of the series arc story and the final show of the season (the series finale as it turned out), was strangely satisifying. I like to believe that Britt made the right decision in the end.

Guess we will never know now thanks to FX.

RIP, Terriers! You were worth watching and I will miss you!
Lynn in Lake Balboa