Wagon Train on the Encore Western Channel

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Re: Wagon Train on the Encore Western Channel

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Well, Yawl, I'm purty worked up over this Wagon Train heading out agin...
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

There is a local channel that just started advertising called METV that shows a mix of old shows, from westerns to things like The Dick Van Dyke Show, and on Saturday morning they showed Wagon Train. I tuned it in last Saturday just for the heck of it, and discovered that commercials were included, but this particular episode was one of the 90 minute ones. So I assume if this little nobody channel can get the 90 minute deals, Encore probably will also. Better yet, Encore shows the program with no commercials.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I wish I had that channel.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Miss G:

Check your program guide right after your local channels, probably close to WGN if you have that. I just discovered it by accident.
Anne

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I've checked, TimeWarner in NYC is the worst. All sports channels and repeats (supposedly HD versions) of channels...yuck. They really need to come up with a better system for television because packaged cable is the worst. I don't want to see 200 channels reflecting what college boys like to watch.
-- Will Rogers
ken123

Post by ken123 »

At least for Chicago area viewers WGN is adding a new " all classic TV Channel " called " Antenna ", Comcast channel 353. It open on New Years eve with a Three Stooges marathon. :D
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

ken123 wrote:At least for Chicago area viewers WGN is adding a new " all classic TV Channel " called " Antenna ", Comcast channel 353. It open on New Years eve with a Three Stooges marathon. :D

That's fantastic, Kenny!! When I lived in L.A., I got WGN, but now that I'm supposedly closer to Chicago here in Manrattan...nada.
-- Will Rogers
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I haven't heard anything about the new 'Antenna' as of yet, but why does every channel think all people are thrilled to see The Three Stooges for any reason under God's sun? Practically every cable/dish, etc. system has channels that feature those fools at some time or another during the year. I know I upset some people with phrases like 'foolish' but doggone-it, they are foolish. I don't see anything funny about them at all, and in no way are they entertaining to me. That is how I feel and I am not asking anyone else to follow my lead, but that's my opinion and I believe I have the right to state it. I know I can change the channel, and I do, but I resent it when they pre-empt regular programming for them as TCM did a few years ago, when they devoted a full day each month to the stooges. I would have much preferred a Cary Grant comedy in those time slots.

Miss G: I know what you mean about 200 channels. I pay for 220 channels with my system, and I watch 42 of them. I watch 20 with regularity, and the other 22 are viewed for special movies, shows, or possibly one program a week. All of the ESPN, sport, and music channels would never be missed on my TV. I get all the Chicago sports news I need on WGN, home of Chicgo sports, and news comes from CNN, or MSNBC, and finally when I want music, I turn on the radio.
Anne

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I'm loving the show so far. Wonderful, top notch guest stars and interesting, adult stories with time enough for character development make it a class act show all the way.
It's great seeing Wardy and I love his "that'll be the day" and "dad blasted" exclamations, ha! it looks like they are showing it in episode order, so I guess I won't get to "The Colter Craven Story" this day.

There was one with Nina Foch just on, in which he played the drunken, unhappy wife of a Cavalry officer stuck out in the middle of nowhwere. It kind of reminded me of *Fort Apache*, only this time it was the C.O.'s wife who thought the fort was not good enough and wanted her husband to rise. It made for an interesting climax when she slaps the face of a warrior Chief her husband was trying to make peace with.

Another good one was with Aggie Moorehead, in which she played a dying mother searching for the son she abandoned. I kept thinking the young man looked like "Billy Jack" and lo and behold, it was Tom Laughlin.
-- Will Rogers
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Miss Goddess,
I was watching the Nina Foch episode and the same thought occurred to me in so far as it being very close to Fort Apache, the exception being the female seeking glory for her husband. I'm watching the Anne Jefferys episode right now. :D
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

ken123 wrote:Miss Goddess,
I was watching the Nina Foch episode and the same thought occurred to me in so far as it being very close to Fort Apache, the exception being the female seeking glory for her husband. I'm watching the Anne Jefferys episode right now. :D

Is that who the lady is, Anne Jeffereys? I missed the credits and thought she looked familiar but I couldn't place her. Cute episode.
-- Will Rogers
ken123

Post by ken123 »

MissGoddess wrote:
ken123 wrote:Miss Goddess,

Is that who the lady is, Anne Jeffereys? I missed the credits and thought she looked familiar but I couldn't place her. Cute episode.
Yes it was Ms Jefferys, aka Mrs Robert Sterling. Mr Sterling was the love interest who eventually hooks up with " Miss Julie " in " The Julia Gage episode. :)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

How cute! I didn't know that was Robert Sterling, either. I see Dan Duryea's in this one airing now...always fun to see him in a western setting.
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I watched a good bit of the first one and it had a bearded Ernest Borgnine. It looks they had very good luck at getting guest stars that we know but I guess they weren't that big at the time. Lots of gun play in the first couple of episodes.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I missed the first few episodes. Did they in any way set up the relationship between Horton and Bond, or were they like the others...episodic?
-- Will Rogers